Chapter 45.5 Idiot (CroyPv)

"Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You're an idiot." Jason informed just before popping a potato chip in his mouth. He'd returned from the small liquor around the corner and was now leaning against the door frame, watching me as I stared pitifully at the carpet. I leaned my head all the way back until it touched the wall.

"I know. I should've told her..." I trailed off. Jason sighed and walked over to where I sat. He crouched beside me and held out the bag of chips. I shook my head.

"Should you have told her? Yes. Did you fuck up? Yes. Is there fixing it? Definitely, so go after her." He encouraged.

"She said she needed time. I have to respect that."

"True, but nobody said anything about interfering while she thinks. Just keep an eye on her. Remember that Scaggot is in the area. It's not safe for her to be walking around at night by herself, no matter how feisty she is.

"Yeah, you're right." I agreed as I stood and made my way into the bedroom to get dressed. Jason took a seat on the couch, then used his keys to open a bottle of beer.

"How did you get that?" I asked when I returned to the living room. He flashed me a satisfied grin as he held up his fake ID between his fingers. "You shouldn't be using it to buy beer." I reprimanded. "You can get us into trouble.

Jason shrugged. "When in Rome." He muttered before taking a big swig, then turning on the flat screen.

"You're not in Rome." I reminded.

"Okay mom." He shot back. I rolled my eyes and made my way over to the key holder.

"Remember what I said to you the day we met up again?" He asked.

"That I was an idiot?" He shook his head.

"Besides that. I told you she was going to kill you if you didn't come clean. This is what I meant..." He trailed off as he put his beer on the lamp table.

"She's furious dude, and though she is incapable of hurting you physically, she can ignore you. She can push you away and in my experience, that can hurt more than any bullet wound." I stared at my shoes and swallowed thickly. I felt like I couldn't breathe properly.

"I'm not saying that I'm on her side, but I'm not on yours either. I must remain impartial in order to give you the best advice possible. The point is you fucked up. So fix it."

"But I don't know how! Whenever I'm around her, I can't think straight. It's like my brain turns off!" I groaned as I messed with my hair. Jason sighed loudly before standing up and walking back over to me.

"Look, I get it. Trust me. The same thing happens when I'm with Mai, but if you really want to do what's best for her, maybe you should let her decide things for herself from now on. You can't just make choices for other people and expect them to be happy about it. Especially if it has to do with staying in their life." He said as he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"But I know your heart was in the right place and I'm sure she knows it too. Just give it time. You'll see. Everything will work out." I scoffed.

"How is it that you always manage to make me feel better?" I asked wearily.

"It's a gift" He boasted.

I laughed, just before a deep rumble shook the complex.

"Was that thunder?" I asked, my senses on high alert.

Jason shrugged. "I don't know, maybe?" My heart sank in my chest.

"How long has it been since she left?" I asked, my anxiety rising.

"No more than 20mins, why?" he asked as he watched me put on my hoodie.

"It takes nearly 30 mins to get to her house on foot." I trailed off as I grabbed my keys. "I'll be back soon. I just want to make sure she gets home safely." I told him as I opened the door.

"Be safe." Jason called after me as I closed the door and made my way down the stairs.