Chapter 44. Color-Coated Lie

"Nathan?" My brows furrowed when I laid eyes on him.

"What are you doing in Jason's apartment?" I asked, confused as hell. "Do you two...know each other?" Jason glanced at me fretfully.

"Damn it Jase, why did you bring her here man!?" Nathan scolded from across the living room.

"Dude I didn't know you were here!" Jason shot back. I watched their interaction, in baffled silence.

Jason pinched the bridge of his nose, not looking up as he spoke. "Why are you here?" He asked the other again, exasperation clear in his tone.

"I got off work early." Nathan clarified.

"Why didn't you tell me you idiot!?" Jason scolded. I stood there dumbfounded, adrenaline coursing through me as I watched their exchange.

"Will somebody please tell me what the fuck is going on?!" I shouted eventually, completely done with being an observer. I glanced over at Nathan who was shirtless. His black hair was dripping wet and he had a white towel draped over his shoulders. His jeans were unbuttoned, exposing his boxers. My mind raced when I caught sight of the familiar scar that cut through Nathan's abdomen. Instinctively, I walked forward, causing Nathan to back up as I approached him.

"H...Haze, Let me explai—"

"Shut up!" I snapped fiercely as I continued to scrutinize my potential boyfriend. There was something different about him.

"I was going to tell you on Friday..." he reminded as I backed him into the wall.

"Your eyes..." I trailed off as I continued to stare. He swallowed thickly.

"Please, let me explain!" He begged. "This was the only way I could see you again! I was going to tell you, I swear!" I pulled on my necklace unconsciously. It couldn't be.

"I must be going crazy." I muttered out loud as I clutched it and stabbed my hand with the dull point to make sure I wasn't dreaming. A small drop of blood trickled out of my palm.

"I can't believe you actually kept that." Nathan mused as he reached out and wrapped his hand around mine. This time, I was the one who backed up.

"S-stay back...." I stammered, my voice wavering as I gripped the necklace even tighter than before. My gaze automatically trained itself on Nathan's eyes which were no longer a faded brown, instead they were an intense shade of cerulean blue. I pressed my back against the wall as I hyperventilated.

"Hazel, calm down." Nathan urged as he approached me.

"Explain yourself!" I demanded. Nathan let out a sigh as he turned to Jason, who had an exasperated look on his face.

"I have to go buy...something." Jason mumbled before sticking his hands in his jeans pockets and leaving the apartment, closing the door behind him. Nathan ran his fingers nervously through his hair once we were alone.

"I was wearing contacts when we met." He admitted nervously. "This is my natural eye color." I arched a brow as I tried to focus on my breathing. "Why...why did you wear them...?" I asked in a small voice.

"I was...concealing my identity..." He trailed off as he glanced down at the shag carpet. "That's why I dyed my hair black as well." I clenched my eyes shut, desperately trying to process everything that I was just learning.

"So, what happened with Lucky was a lie? It was a set-up?" I asked him incredulously, my voice cracking towards the end. Nathan shook his head.

"That day, I don't know how or why, we actually met by chance. I knew you had a job, but I didn't know where. I just so happened to be near that shelter when lucky fell ill. That wasn't how I had planned to meet you again. It actually took me awhile to recognize you." He admitted as he fiddled with his hair.