Chapter 34.5 Corny (Myra PV)

*Flashback to the day of the set-up*

"Eeeeek!" I squealed excitedly as Hazel gave me the news.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend Mai, I still can't believe it. This has to be a dream!" She sighed. I wrapped my arms around her.

"You guys are perfect for each other girl, I'm sure you'll be very happy together." She nodded, her eyes glistening with excitement.

"I'm gonna go take a shower, Croy said he wanted us to go for a walk after drill practice!" I chuckled as I pulled away from her.

"Go get him girl!" I enthused.

After she'd gone, I made my way towards the back of the school auditorium. I liked to sit in the shade the rectangular building provided. Once I found a good place to chill, I picked up a small branch and started drawing patterns on the moist soil. "Hey..." a familiar voice made me glance up. Jason stood a few feet away. "Mind if I join you?" He asked. I shook my head. We sat in silence for a while as I continued to draw lines in the soil, while he stabbed the floor with his knife. "I gotta hand it to you, no matter how ridiculous your idea was, it still worked..." he trailed off amused.

"They just needed a push in the right direction, those two are basically made for each other." I muttered without looking up. "Jase?" I began as I broke the branch in half. "I'm sorry, for what I said the other day. You were right, it wasn't fair of me to assume you hadn't changed." He put his knife away and scooted closer to me.

"It's okay Mai, I feel like I also overreacted a little." He muttered as he rubbed the nape of his neck. "That doesn't change what I said though." He continued. "I know you won't believe me, but I've honestly got nothing to lose..." My heart raced as he leaned in closer.

"Ja-Jase?" I stammered as he placed a hand on my cheek.

"I love you Myra. I always have and I most likely always will. I don't care if you don't believe me." My eyes widened as he leaned in all the way and pressed his lips against mine. My face flared crimson as he caressed my cheek with his thumb. I could feel my lids getting heavy as his sweet scent surrounded me. After a few seconds, I closed my eyes and melted into the kiss.

"Jase..." I whispered as he pulled away a bit later. "We can't, we shouldn't...we're friends." I whispered in between kisses.

"So? Hazel and Croy are friends and drill partners, but that didn't stop them." He retorted as he brushed my bangs away from my face. "I'm not the same angry little boy that you met three years ago. I care about you and I'm willing to fight just to stay by your side..." he leaned in again and placed yet another kiss on my lips. "Our friendship won't disappear, it'll change into something stronger." He whispered as he pressed his forehead against mine.

"Since when are you such a romantic?" I teased timidly.

"Heh, I guess I've been spending a little too much time with Croy and his corny ass." I laughed a little harder than I should've at his joke, causing me to snort. My face turned red again, I hated that about my laugh. Jason's eyes widened, then closed as he burst out laughing. "You're fucking adorable!" He admitted, a small dimple marking his left cheek. My heart skipped. I knew at that moment, that keeping a smile on his face was the only thing that mattered to me. I watched as he stood up and held out his hand. "Come on let's go tell those two love birds that they're NOT the cutest couple in this camp right now." I placed my hand in his and allowed him to help me to my feet.

"Let's go." I agreed, my face flaring red as he led us back towards the main field.