Epilogue

Epilogue

"Where you going my good man?" The cabby asked without taking his eyes off the road. He was an older gentleman with graying hair. I told him the address and made myself comfortable as he set the timer. When we were finally on the road, I glanced out the window. "So, what's got you so spacey?" He asked   keeping his eyes on the road. I smiled crookedly.

"More like a who..." I trailed off as I flipped open my phone and admired her picture. Her dark hair and amber eyes contrasted against the fairness of her complexion. I sighed. It had been nearly a year since I'd left. About ten months. Though it had been tough, everything seemed to be going well until a few days ago.

Ever since I'd parted, we would text, talk on the phone. We would face time and Skype as much as we could, at all hours of the day. She would tell me about her job and the internship she'd landed. And I would talk about the harsh realities of real estate and how escrow was more complicated than I could have imagined. I also began school and managed to finish my first round of classes.

When I talked to her through webcam, she usually looked happy and cheery. We would joke around a lot and talk for hours. But recently, I noticed she'd been a lot more lethargic than usual. Her complexion began getting pasty. I found it was worse in the morning. Something about her seemed off. Then, two days ago she stopped returning my calls and my messages. Even though I told her to give me a year, I couldn't wait any longer. I had finally resolved the issues with my mom's inheritance.

As it turned out, she had also saved a large amount in savings bonds. She'd stashed them in the attic. Altogether, the total sum was enough to buy myself a bigger car and for the down payment of a house. The cabby laughed at my response. "Well whoever she is, she must be a real Princess." He said as he turned onto the highway. I nodded. "She sure is."

When we finally reached her apartment, I paid the driver and made my way up the stairs. When I reached the top, I put my hand in my coat pocket and pulled out the small black box. I opened it, revealing a silver diamond ring. "Good, I didn't forget it..." I muttered to myself as I tucked it back in. I ran my fingers through my hair, adjusting the front before ringing the doorbell.

After a few seconds, there was no answer. I took out my phone and called her cell, but she didn't pick up. After a few more tries, I decided to ring the bell again. I was about to turn around and leave, when I heard the bolt come off the door.

"Croy?!" Allison asked in a shout once the door opened. She jumped on me, causing me to stagger. It had been years since I'd seen her. I hugged her awkwardly for a few seconds until she pulled away from me.

"Hey Ally, long time no see huh?" I asked as I rubbed the back of my neck. She glanced over her shoulder happily and waved. "Hey look who's at the door!" I watched as a familiar figure approached us.

"What's up dude?" Kyle's annoying smile greeted me. We shook hands. "How you been guy? Life treating you well?" He asked as he wrapped his arm around Allison. I shrugged and glanced down at my shoes for a second.

"It's been okay I guess..." I trailed off. "Hey, by any chance can you guys tell me where Hazel is? I've been calling her for two days and I can't seem to get an answer from her. I'm starting to get worried." I admitted as I glanced at her picture on my phone.

Allison and Kyle turned to each other incredulously. "You mean... you don't know?" Allison asked cautiously.

"Don't know what?" I asked as I glanced back and forth between them. After a few seconds, Kyle answered.

"She's in the hospital dude." My heart sank to my knees.  "We're house sitting."

"What?! Is she okay?! What
hospital is she in, I need to see her!" I shouted as I shook Kyle by the shoulders aggressively.

"Ow, okay, okay!" He shouted as he pushed me back and stuck his hand in his pocket. He handed me a folded sheet of paper. It had an address and a phone
number. The moment the paper touched my skin, I was off running down the stairs.

Luckily, the cabby hadn't left the parking lot yet because he was resetting his timer. I hopped down as many stairs as I could, then jumped in his car. "Mister! I need you to drive me to this hospital, my girlfriend is in trouble!" I shouted as I shoved the piece of paper in his hand. After a small pause, the cabby set the timer and turned on his lights. "Hold on kid." He said as he shifted gears and we took off towards the hospital.

When we arrived, I handed the cabby his money before rushing inside. There was a girl behind the counter. "Hi how may I help you?" She asked with a smile. "My girlfriend, is she here!?" I asked breathlessly as I leaned on the counter. "Please write down the patient's name." She instructed. After handing her the paper, she took a few seconds to search the computer.

"Miss Gallego is currently not accepting any visitors that aren't family..." She trailed off. "Please I have to see her!" I begged the young nurse.

"I'm sorry sir, but it's policy that only family can visit her in that ward." She apologized as she glanced down.

"Please...just for a second. I have to see her." I begged again, my voice weary. After a few seconds of silence, she sighed and picked up a pen and a visitor's pass.

"Name?" She asked without looking at me. "Croy Ramos."  Before the girl began inking my name on the pass, she paused. "Wait you said Ramos right?" I nodded.

"You're the boyfriend, correct?" She asked.

"Yes." I responded.

"You don't need a pass. Go right ahead Mr. Ramos, Miss Gallego is on the 5th floor in room 45A." She pointed me in the direction of the elevator. "Thank you so much!" I said as I sprinted towards the large metal doors. The movement made the little box bounce in my pocket.

The elevator ride seemed to last forever. When I finally reached the 5th floor, I made my way down the hall looking for her room. After a couple of seconds, I heard a familiar scream of pain. I sprinted in the direction it emanated from. "Hazel!?" I shouted as I made my way towards her room. "Croy?! Is that...Agh!" She groaned in pain a couple of doors down.

I burst full speed through the double doors that led to the hallway where her room was. "Croy!" Jason shouted as he waved me over. He was standing outside a room with a large glass window that was covered with curtains. Her screams were coming from there.

"What's going on?" I asked Jason frantically.
"I... think you should see for yourself." He trailed off as he motioned towards the door. I glanced at him worriedly before placing my hand on the handle and making my way inside.

"Hazel!" I shouted as I pushed through the door. A nurse tried to stop me from coming in, but Myra interfered.

"It's okay, he's her boyfriend!" She said as she glanced at me. I turned to Hazel who was drenched in sweat and covered by mounds of sheets. Her hair was matted against her forehead and her eyes were watered and weary. She was clutching onto Myra's hand.

"Mai what's going on?" I asked just as she let out one last blood curling scream and a fountain of blood poured out of her. The scream resonated through the room, but it wasn't alone, something else followed it. It was a small, familiar cry. I turned my incredulous gaze towards the doctor, who held something small in his hands. After a few seconds of cleaning and checking, the doctor wrapped it in a sheet, then handed it to me.

"Congratulations sir. It's a healthy, baby girl!" He enthused with a smile as he turned away from me and began taking off his gloves. I glanced at Hazel bewildered. Her face was sweaty and exhausted, after a few seconds, she smiled wearily. "She's beautiful isn't she?" My heart raced as I gazed down at the small being that I held in my arms. She was tiny, pale and a little wrinkly.

Thin, light-brown hair topped her delicate head and a few freckles surrounded her tiny nose. After a few seconds, she yawned and opened her eyes slightly. "She looks just like you." She whispered. I was still in shock. After a long and silent pause, Hazel tugged on my jacket and pulled me in. Her lips were warm and sweeter than I remembered.

After a few seconds, I pulled away and glanced back at the baby that I held in my arms. She was looking at me curiously. My awe-stricken expression reflected perfectly in her mesmerizing, sapphire eyes.

------------End-------------------