Chapter 18. Past (Part 2)

After an uncountable amount of time, Croy pulled away from me. "There's more." He whispered before sitting down on the edge again. I followed his example and sat beside him. He closed his eyes as he thought of the correct words to continue.

"After he killed her, I let out a scream. He heard it and turned to find me on the stairs, a witness to his crime. When he realized I had seen it all, he cocked the gun and made his way towards me. The moment I saw him move, I dashed up the stairs. I ran into my room and took the bat from the floor. Afterwards, I hid in the closet at the other end of the hall. I could hear his footsteps as he staggered up the stairs.

'Croy, daddy's got a present for you!' He slurred as he kicked in the doors one by one. It took him awhile to find me in his inebriated state. When he opened the closet door, I dashed out and bolted towards the stairs. He reached me at the landing and lunged forward to grab me, but I outsmarted him and dodged. I swung as hard as I could and hit him with the bat on the leg, causing him to lose his balance and fall down the stairs. His body thudded noisily as he fell.

After making my way down cautiously, I checked to make sure he wasn't dead. When I confirmed he was still breathing, I rushed back to the kitchen and took the wall phone, hastily dialing 9-1-1. Mid-way through the conversation with the operator however, the line went dead. Father tore the phone off the wall and cornered me. I glared at him as he raised the gun and aimed it between my eyes.

'I hate you.' I hissed through clenched teeth. He laughed at me.

'Do you now?' He asked as he pressed the cold metal against my forehead.

'I wish you were dead.' I snapped back just as the sound of sirens signaled the approaching police. When they pulled up, he glanced out the window, then back at me.

'Wish granted, Happy Birthday son.' He said as he raised the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Blood splattered on the walls, floors, counters and on my horrified face. Weakly, I made my way over to my Mother's body and fell to my knees by her side. I hugged her corpse as hard as I could, staining my hands and clothes with her blood.

When the police made their way in, they found both my parents dead and their blood all over me. My father had no living relatives and my mother only had one. Since they didn't want to bother with an orphanage, they sent me with the only person who knew my mother. He was an old friend of her father's; they'd served in a war together. He was the one who ran this place.

This has always been a place for TEENS who have committed crimes. The minimum age requirement was eleven, but for me he had an exception made. In order to seal my fate, they blamed me for both of their deaths and threw me in here. I'm seventeen now and I'll be turning eighteen this December twenty-sixth. On the thirty-first, it'll be my ten-year anniversary." After that, Croy reached into his cargos and pulled out a beautiful, bronze pocket watch. "My mother gave this to me just days before she died. She told me to never forget that our time on earth is a gift, and that we have to share it with people we love."

There was a long silence between us after he finished his story. I didn't know what to say, the images of such a horrible things happening to a child wouldn't leave my head. Croy observed me for a bit, but after a while he broke the silence.

"I knew it." He scoffed as he stood and looked out at the lake. "You hate me now, don't you?" He accused. I looked at him bewildered.

"What? Why would I hate you?" I asked. He clenched his fists.

"Because it was my fault! It was my fault that my Mother died! My fault that Father killed her! It's my fault. I'm a fucking MURDERER!" He screamed, finally breaking down. "Croy!" I scolded as he turned to the side and punched a boulder that stood next to us on the edge of the cliff. His knuckles cracked in a sickening way. "That's why, I wear black..." He trailed off with a sob, his legs giving away beneath him. He sank slowly to the floor as he held onto his bloody fist.

"No, you're not Croy, just calm d—"

"Don't fucking tell me to calm down!" He interrupted and glared at me, his eyes turbulent. "You weren't there, you don't fucking understand!" He shouted, his anger controlling him.

"I-I know, but I'm trying to—"

"Well stop trying!" He snapped again before standing up and storming past me.

"Croy, wait. I—"

"You what? You want to apologize? Say it's not my fault? Well I've heard it all already. Whatever useless pep talk you're about to give, I've heard it a thousand times." He contended.

"Enough!" I screamed without thinking. "Just shut the hell up and get off your self-loathing pedestal!" I huffed. His eyes widened. He'd never seen me this mad. "I don't need to give you a pep talk to remind you of what you already know. If you'd stop feeling sorry for yourself twenty-four-seven, then you'd probably see it too! Do you think your Mother wanted you to blame yourself? Do you!? Do you really think she regrets giving her life for somebody as incredible as you?!"

Silence fell between us then. I could feel blood pool beneath my cheeks as I glared back at him. "It wasn't your fault, but if you want to blame yourself, then go ahead. Just know it's not gonna get you anywhere..." I trailed off. "At least stop being stupid. You know I could never hate you." I muttered as I brushed past him and began making my way back.

"Wait." He called out before catching up to me. I turned when he reached out and pulled me by the arm. "You really don't hate me?" He asked, his eyes a bit lighter. I shook my head.

"You were dealt a shitty hand. That isn't your fault." I assured. Croy placed his free hand underneath my chin.

"Why are you...crying?" He asked as angry tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Fuck..." I sniffled softly as I quickly wiped away my tears. So many emotions coursed through me at that moment. Anger, sadness...helplessness. I wanted nothing more than to comfort him, take away his pain, but I didn't know how. A comprehensive smile quirked his lips as he studied me; His eyes reading the turmoil in my wet gaze. My face flared crimson when Croy leaned in and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you." He whispered. "Thank you for not hating me. For wanting to help and for being here, even when I'm at my worst." I nodded, my heart still pounding in my chest from his earlier kiss. "We should get going, we have homework to do..." He trailed off as he began leading the way back. Without thinking, I pulled back his hand.

"I'm here for you. I'll always be here. Please don't forget that." I whispered as the wind picked up, causing fallen leaves to swirl around us. I failed to notice the light pink that dusted his cheeks as he glanced down at his boots.

"I won't, let's go." He suggested as he interlocked his fingers with mine and led the way slowly back to camp. 

(Oh how I love these two. Their love is so wholesome and supportive. What did you guys think of Croy's troubled past? Did you like the chapter? Hate it? Leave a comment below! Fallen out))