Chapter 16. Meadow

"Hey, why the long face?" Jason asked when he noticed me sitting by the lake's shore one afternoon during free period. It had been around two weeks since our altercation with Scaggot, and Croy just hadn't been the same. Even though we were drill partners, we hardly interacted anymore. As soon as our drills were over, he would disappear into the woods. I tried following him a couple of times but always lost him within the first few minutes. At lunch, he wouldn't even come to the table anymore.

"Just thinking." I muttered sadly as I rested my chin on my knees. "What's up with you? Washing clothes?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Actually, I came to accompany Myra." He admitted sheepishly.

"Myra huh?" I twitched my eyebrow with a smile.

"Stop, we're just friends!" He assured.

"Sure, whatever you say Jase." I teased.

"What about you and Croy? I thought you guys were getting along." I shook my head.

"Not as much as you'd think..." I trailed off.

"What exactly happened that day in the warden's office?" He asked. I rested my chin on my knees again.

"The warden told him they're postponing his release date." Jason's eyes widened.

"No way! Poor Croy." He said as he stared at the grass. "I can see how that would upset him." I nodded.

"I know he just wants to be alone, but I wish there was something I could do to help him." I sighed.

"Maybe there is." Jason replied thoughtfully. "Come with me " He encouraged by holding his hand out and helping me up.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he began leading me towards an untouched part of the woods where a large fence blocked off the area. I watched as Jason crawled through a coarsely cut hole at the bottom.

"I have a hunch as to where he might be." He said as he waited for me to crawl through.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? What if he doesn't want to see me?" I asked fretfully as we walked up a barren slope.

"If anyone can pull him out of his own head, it's you." He remarked.

"What makes you so sure?" I asked warily.

"Let's just say he thinks very highly of you. More than he might let on." He said before stopping in front of a fallen tree trunk. I looked at him bewildered when he gestured with his hand for me to continue.

"There's nothing there Jase." I said as I stood on the trunk and glanced down. It looked like a steep drop, but I couldn't really tell because of all the foliage.

"Just trust me." He said with a smile before placing a hand on my back and shoving me off the trunk.

"Good luck!" He shouted after me.

"Ahh!" I screamed as I slid down the steep hill and landed hard on my butt. "Ow, stupid Jason!" I muttered as I dusted myself off. Dense trees surrounded the area where I landed. After a few seconds of hesitation, I walked forward past the ferns in front of me. "Oh wow..." I trailed off when I laid eyes on a beautiful clearing. I had stepped into a breath-taking meadow.

Tall grass swayed with the breeze and butterflies frolicked by the flowers that covered most of the floor. Large trees surrounded the area, separating it from the rest of the camp. As I walked deeper into the meadow, my eyes focused on a mound of shaggy hair that flickered near the edge.

Croy didn't budge as I approached him, his dark eyes trained on the horizon.

"You found me; you know what's funny?" He asked without looking back.

"I knew your stubborn ass would." He admitted as I took a seat beside him. His legs were hanging off the edge of a cliff.

"Is that the Lake?" I asked as I glanced down. My head spun as a bit of vertigo made me dizzy. I'd always been afraid of heights.

"Please don't fall off." He mumbled before placing a hand on my shoulder.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, changing the subject. He sighed.

"The same, I guess..." He trailed off.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I asked cautiously. He shook his head. "I honestly doubt it. No one is going to change that warden's mind. She's had it out for me since she arrived. I miss the commander."

"Who's that?" I asked as I picked up a dandelion.

"He was the man in charge of this place until a few years ago. He was the only blood relative I had left." He said sadly

"What happened?" I asked cautiously.

"He passed away." I bit my lip as I played with the tiny flower.

"I'm sorry..." I apologized.

"Don't be. We weren't exactly close, but at least he was fair. Now, jackasses like Scaggot can do whatever they want without repercussions, it's ridiculous!" I nodded as I plucked the yellow petals off. "My only hope was getting out of here." I tossed the bare weed aside and picked up another.

"Can I be honest?" I asked as I plucked the petals off. "I'm kind of glad you're stuck here." I confessed. He furrowed his brows. "I know it sounds terrible, but I still have nineteen months to go and honestly, I can't imagine being in here without you." Croy's expression softened when he heard my reason.

"Yeah, you are pretty helpless. Knowing you, you'll probably get crushed by a tree or something." I punched him in the arm as he laughed at his own joke.

"Ow, kidding!" He said with a smile. I couldn't help but smile back.

"So, you said the commander was your only living relative. Does that mean..." I trailed off, unable to finish my sentence. He nodded.

"Yeah, I'm an orphan. The commander was a distant uncle on my mother's side." Silence settled around us as I processed the information I had just learned. Even though it went against everything our friends taught me, I decided to ask one more time.

"What happened to your parents Croy? How did an amazing guy like you, end up in a crappy place like this?" Croy sighed as he fixed his gaze on the water below.

"Again, with the questions. You're never gonna let it go, are you?" I shook my head. "Fine, I'll tell you, but it's gonna be a long story." He warned.

"I've got nothing but time." I replied with a smile. After a few more seconds of silence, Croy took in a deep breath and began.