Chapter 11. Service

A month passed and slowly but surely, Croy began loosening up. A few days prior, I swear he even cracked a joke during drill practice. It wasn't a very good one, but he made the effort. Lunch time during school became easier and more comfortable as I got to know everybody a little better. As long as I avoided the forbidden topic, everything was fine.

Everybody had a routine and I gratefully settled into it. It gave me a sense of familiarity to have a set schedule. I spent most of my free time sewing with Myra or learning about make-up with Allison. Eventually, I completed my third month at Camp Red Lake.

The days began getting shorter and the air fresher as September rolled around. On this day I was clearing the field with Croy, when Sargent butt-face made an appearance.

"Uh-oh, fuck-wad at 6 o'clock." Croy mumbled as Scaggot approached me from behind.

"Can I help you?" I asked, placing a hand on my hip. He narrowed his eyes before tossing me an apron.

"You're on kitchen duty for a week." He informed me smugly.

"What? Kitchen duty? Why!?" I asked as I studied the stained apron.

"Did you forget about your little outburst when you first arrived?" He asked, rubbing his cheek at the memory.

"How could I forget? It has been the only highlight of my stay so far." I taunted.

"Watch it Gallego!" He hissed, getting in my face.

"Hey, back off!" Croy snapped before stepping between us. He was notably taller than Scaggot, but that didn't seem to intimidate the self-absorbed Sargent.

"Since you love babysitting so much, I brought one for you too." He informed with a smirk as he tossed Croy another apron. "I told you it wasn't over." He said smugly before turning around and making his way back to the office.

Croy groaned loudly as he stared down at his apron. "I'm starting to realize that being your friend is going to be an exhausting task."

"Sorry." I apologized sheepishly. "So, we have to help out the school cafeteria?" I asked as we finished putting away all the work-out equipment. Croy shook his head.

"No, kitchen duty means we have to help serve the meals in the main hall, once a day." I groaned. The main hall was where everybody ate their meals when we weren't at school.

"But the MH suucks!" I whined as I helped him drag all the stuff to the storage shed. "And I assume the kitchen isn't any better!" Croy shook his head.

"Nope, it's humid, cramped and everyone is always cranky. Not to mention we have to plate up more than four hundred meals at any given point." I shot him an annoyed glance.

"You know, you're not exactly helping!" I scolded.

"Me? This is all your fault Ms. attitude!" He chastised before sticking his tongue out at me. I reciprocated causing a small scoff to escape his lips. "In any case, we should get going, tomorrow we have to be up early to serve breakfast. I'll meet you by the main hall at 06:00 hours." He said before draping the apron over his shoulder and walking back to his cabin.

The following morning I stood out-side the main hall, waiting patiently for my partner. The morning air was chilly. I rubbed my arms as I shivered. "Cold?" Croy's voice startled me.

"Morning." I muttered as I hugged myself.

"Let's go inside before you catch something." He motioned with his head for me to follow. Croy led the way behind the building to the employee entrance. A wave of humid air blasted us as soon as we opened the door. A small clipboard hung by the entrance, along with a box of gloves, and a bag of hairnets.