Chapter 30. Teacher

A few weeks after our little adventure through those caverns, I caught a small cold. I got over it quickly. Soon after my recovery however, I became restless. My inability to protect Croy or myself was troubling me. Winter break was over, and our classes had begun again. I sat quietly through every lesson as I thought of a way to make myself stronger. I began neglecting my homework and classwork. Since all I did was space out in class, it began to take a toll on my grades. One night, I was sitting at my desk in the cabin during free period, with my homework spread out in front of me, when an idea crossed my mind. I stood up and made my way over to Croy, who was laying on my cot reading a magazine about guns.

"Croy..." I began. He looked at me curiously. He knew that when I did homework, I was usually immersed in it until I was finished. I stood before him in silence, trying to pick the correct way to phrase my words. "Never mind..." I muttered with a sigh as I changed my mind and made my way back to the desk.

"Hey, hold on!" he protested as he got off the cot and made his way towards me. "You've been acting odd lately. I want to know what's up with you." He said as he rested his hand on the back of my chair. I turned to him wearily. "Tell me what's bothering you." He urged and crouched next to my chair.

"Well, it's just..." I began as I looked down at the floor. "It's just that, I've been thinking a lot about what happened with Scaggot that day in the kitchen and the way you broke my fall when the ledge collapsed...." I trailed off. "I hate putting you in danger." I admitted. "I hate that you always get hurt trying to protect me." Croy shot me a sympathetic smile.

"Hey, you know I don't mind—"

"But that's the thing!" I interrupted. "I mind! I don't like it." Croy listened quietly. "I want to be useful. I want to be able to protect you as well, that's why..." I trailed off. "...that's why, I want you to teach me how to fight." I clenched my hands over my thighs as I glanced at him. "I want to learn how to protect myself, how to protect you." I admitted as I bit my lower lip.

"I'll always be here to protect you." He said as he placed his hand on my face. I turned away.

"No, you won't be. As much as I would like to believe that, you won't always be here to protect me."

"What are you saying?" he asked me seriously. "It's the truth Croy! You can't always be chained to my side trying to protect me! You need to take care of yourself too because.... because I can't protect you!" My eyes watered with frustration.

"You need to focus on yourself, not on me..." I trailed off, my voice wavering. He stared at me in silence as he considered what I was saying.

An exasperated sigh left his lips when I was finished. "Fine. Meet me outside at 21:00 hours tonight, we have work to do." I looked at him, a bit surprised. Never in a million years did I think he'd agree. "But before I teach you anything, you have to finish your homework, got it?" he asked with an arched brow.

"Yes sir!" I saluted him as he made his way outside. Happily, I picked up my pen and began tearing through my homework.

Two hours later, at 21:00 hours (9pm) exactly, I put away my text books and made my way out of the cabin. When I stepped outside, I realized it was sprinkling. "I thought you weren't going to show." he joked and flashed me one of his signature smiles.

"I was the one who suggested it remember?" I retorted as I made my way over to him. His hair glistened with fresh drops of water.

"Okay, so before I teach you any moves, I need you to clear an obstacle course." he said as he placed his hand on my back and led me to the setup. My mouth gaped open. Hurdles, rope ladders, barbed and electrical wires were all set up for my training.