Chapter 5.5 Cleaning pt.2 (CroyPV)

"Finally!" I sighed once I'd finished cleaning. After inspecting my handiwork, I walked back to the entrance and rested my back against the concrete wall. I slid down and took a seat on the grass. "Stupid Scaggot." I mumbled, taking off my mask. "An hour and thirty, not bad though. Looks like I set a new record." I congratulated myself as I glanced at the pocket watch that I kept hidden in my cargos.

"I wonder how Miss attitude is doing?" I asked myself before chuckling at the memory. "It sure was funny when she punched him though..." A loud yawn racked my body then. Without realizing it, I dozed off.

After awhile, I sat up with a jolt. "Oh shit, I fell asleep." I groaned as I rubbed my stiff neck. My butt and legs tingled from being in that position for so long. "An hour!?" I shouted when I glanced back at my watch. I scrambled to my feet and made my way hastily to the other door. The sun was beginning to set, giving the sky an orange glow.

"Hey twerp, you done yet!?" I shouted from the entrance of the woman's restroom. No answer. "Hey, did you hear me? I asked if you're done in there, I wanna go back already!" Still no answer. "I'm going in!" I announced before walking past the sign. Cautiously, I peeked my head in the open door. The walls still had stains and the pieces of sheet metal they used for mirrors, had smudges.

"Hey, what's the big idea!? You haven't progressed at all!" I chastised as I took a few more steps into the building. "Twerp?" I asked as I peeked into the open stalls. "Where is she?" I wondered when I came to a closed stall. "Hey, you in there?" I knocked softly at first. "Ugh!" I groaned when the invasive smell of bleach and tile cleaner assaulted my nostrils. "Dude! What the hell did you mix!?" I scolded as I put my mask back on.

"Open the door!" I demanded as I knocked harder. After not receiving an answer for the hundredth time, I walked into the neighboring stall and stood on the toilet. Cautiously, I peeked over the wall. My heart sank when I saw her laying on the floor. "Twerp!" I shouted. "Fuck!" I hissed as I jumped and pulled myself over the wall. I landed on the neighboring toilet-nearly a decade of doing pull-ups sure came in handy.

"Wake up!" I urged as I unlatched the door. The bottle of cleaner had spilled and drenched her uniform. The stench was so strong that even my mask couldn't keep it out. "Oh geez!" I hissed. Foam dripped from her mouth and her breathing was infrequent and labored. Without hesitating, I picked her up. "You're so stupid, mixing chemicals like that!" I growled as I jogged with her in my arms.

"Help! I need help over here!" I shouted as I burst through the infirmary doors. The nurse behind the counter jumped up from her seat when she saw me. She was a stout lady with wavy hair and maroon scrubs.

"What happened!?" She asked as she led me towards the infirmary beds. "We were cleaning the restrooms. I found her like this on the floor." I informed as I followed her. "Put her here." She instructed as she pulled open a curtain. She pressed a button on the wall while opening an oxygen mask.

"What time did you guys start cleaning?" She asked as a guy in blue scrubs rushed into the room.
"At around 16:00 hours, but we were cleaning separate facilities..." I trailed off as the guy started an IV and the other took her blood pressure.

"So, you have no idea what time she collapsed?" I shook my head. "What kinds of chemicals were you guys using?" She asked as she hooked her up to a monitor. After I gave her the names of the chemicals, Doctor Lowell pulled open the curtain. A stethoscope dangled loosely around her neck.

"What's happening?" She asked the nurse.

"She collapsed while cleaning the restrooms Doctor. Her clothes are drenched with strong smelling chemicals." The doctor turned her hands over and studied her finger tips.

"Chemical pneumonia, we need to get poison control on the line." She urged the nurse.
"We need you to wait outside." One of the guys pushed me out of the room before closing the curtain.

"Damn it, so troublesome!" I hissed before making my way outside. After a few minutes of silent consideration, I made my way towards her cabin.

"Hey Croy." Myra greeted without looking up from her sewing. Allison's head shot up immediately.

"Croy! What brings you here?" She enthused before standing up and leaning in to place a kiss on my cheek. I cringed. "Allison, stop. You know I don't like it when you do that." I muttered before leaning against the door frame.

"Where's Hazel? She never came back during free period." Myra asked. For some reason a small knot formed in the back of my throat. "Scaggot sent us to clean the restrooms." I began.

"I bet she hasn't finished." Allison remarked before going back to her sewing. "Actually, she's in the infirmary right now." I clarified.

"What!?" They both shouted in unison.

"What the hell happened? Is she okay!?" Myra pried as she jumped off her bunk. "I don't know." I shrugged. "What do you mean you don't know!?" She berated. "The assistants kicked me out!" I shot back defensively. "Besides, why are you getting so worked up? You've barely known her a few weeks!"

"Human empathy Croy! I care about people and she seems like a nice girl!" I rolled my eyes. "Well she's nothing to me." I shot back. Her eyes narrowed.
"I love you Croy. I owe you a lot for helping me out when I first got here. I also understand your past hasn't been easy, but if you insist on keeping that wall around you, you're gonna end up alone. Let's go." She hissed while taking Allison's hand and leading her out of the cabin towards the infirmary.

(A/N: Thank you guys for all your wonderful comments and votes! You guys are my inspiration, thank you for reading!)