Chapter 21. Kyle

The following week flew by. When I came to notice, it was the morning before the dance. Anxiety racked my body as I walked to school with the girls. "Morning ladies!" Jason wriggled his eyebrows when we walked past. Myra giggled and Allison rolled her eyes.

"Morning Jase." I greeted just as Croy walked up behind him.

"Morning twerp." Croy greeted.

"H—hey..." I stammered before hurrying inside.

"What was that about?" Myra asked as Allison walked ahead to her locker. I shrugged.

"It was Croy saying good morning." I mumbled.

"No, I know that. I mean, what's up with your greeting? It seemed a little, I don't know, rude maybe?" I played with my hair.

"It was nothing, you're over-analyzing things again." I assured as we made it to the locker. Myra narrowed her eyes at me but didn't pry any further. It was true, my greeting had been a bit rushed, but I couldn't help it.

Ever since that night on the field, I couldn't think straight around Croy. Whenever he spoke to me or looked at me, my face would burn and butterflies would take over my stomach. I didn't want him to see me like this; worked up over nothing. I didn't want it to jeopardize our friendship.

After our first two classes were over, it was time for homeroom. I draped my bag over my shoulder as I trudged towards the room, my head in the clouds. In my spaced-out state I failed to notice the guy  standing in front of me at the top of the stairs. I crashed into him, causing me to lose my balance. A shrill yelp escaped my throat as the weight of my bag pulled me backwards. I closed my eyes and waited for the pain of falling down the stairs, but it never came.

"Woah! You okay little lady?" An unfamiliar voice asked. My face flushed when I realized this strange guy was holding me by the waist. His emerald eyes were wide. Once he pulled me up, he let go of me. "That would've been a nasty fall. You gotta be more careful." I nodded.

"Thanks for the save."

"Don't mention it. Are you new? I don't remember seein' you around before..." He trailed off. He had a southern accent, but I couldn't pin-point from where.
"I've been here for five months, give or take a few days." I answered as I studied him. He had messy blond locks, that brushed the lower part of his neck. A thin nose rested in the center of his face and a crooked smirk adorned his lips.

"Are you okay? You've been staring for a while now." He laughed before brushing his bangs away from his eyes."S—sorry! It's just that you remind me of someone I know." I admitted, my cheeks turning pink.

"Achem!" A loud noise made us turn around. My heart nearly jumped out of my throat when I laid eyes on him. "Hey Croy! How are you pal?" The strange guy enthused as he held out his balled fist. Croy narrowed his eyes at him, then at me.

"What do you want with her Kyle?" Croy asked as he stepped in front of me defensively. I looked from Croy, to the other boy, completely sure I was seeing double. These two could be related, their only differences being the longer hair, green eyes and absence of freckles. He could've easily been Croy's older brother or something.

"Chill! Why you gotta be so on edge all the time?" He asked as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I didn't mean to impose on you and your girlfriend." He said with a roll of his eyes.V"Actually, we're just friends." I corrected. Croy glared at me in disapproval.

"Is that so? In that case, it's nice to meet you darlin'." He said with a smile before taking my hand and placing a kiss on the back. My face nearly boiled over. Shortly after, the bell rang, warning us of our tardiness. "Well, looks like it's that time. See you around Princess." He winked before picking up his bag and walking away.

"What the hell is wrong with you!? Why would you tell him that!?" Croy snapped after he was gone. I shrunk back in place. "Because it's true?" I replied in a small voice.

"So!? He didn't need to know that! Now he's gonna be hitting on you all the time, is that what you want!?" He asked, his fists balled.

"I—Idon't know?" I replied in a barely audible voice. His eyes darkened.

"You're unbelievable." He hissed before storming past me and disappearing into his class. When I finally made it to homeroom, I sat down and slumped wearily in my seat.

"What's up with you?" Jason asked as he stuffed his mouth with marshmallows.

"Where did you get those?" I asked curiously.

"Don't worry about it." He retorted before shoving another in his mouth, then offering me the bag. I took one and munched on it gratefully as I picked my words.

"Croy's upset with me..." I trailed off.

"Again? Jesus, you guys are like cats and dogs. What the heck happened this time?" He asked as he rolled up the bag of sweets and shoved it in his cargos.

"He got mad cuz I told this boy named Kyle that we were just friends." His eyes widened.

"Yeesh, yeah I can see why that would upset him."

"Why, it's the truth!" I affirmed.

"To you, but maybe Croy doesn't see it that way." He suggested.

"Why wouldn't he?" I asked skeptically.

"I'll let HIM tell you that one." He said just before getting up and walking out as the bell rang.

That afternoon, after classes ended for winter break, I sat in a chair in the center of our cabin.
"Come on girl, wipe that sour expression off your face. We're going to a dance, not a funeral!" Myra scolded as she straightened my hair. I had no idea where they got the flat iron from, but I decided not to ask. I was more concerned with Allison's huge bag of cosmetics.

"Some eyeliner, mascara and shadow on the upper lid?" She asked Myra.

"That sounds good but give her a slight wing and for her lips do some pale pink gloss with a bit of coco liner." Allison nodded. I felt like a practice dummy.

"Got it!" She enthused before taking out all the utensils she needed. After nearly an hour of straightening, poking, prodding and moisturizing, my transformation was complete. 

(A/N: Ooo who's this mysterious new guy? He-He read on to find out! Thank you all for voting and commenting. You guys are awesome! Fallen out! :p)