Chapter 22. Dance

"Woah..." I gasped as I stared at the round mirror before me. They had leaned it against the wall on top of our drawer. I couldn't take my eyes off the beautiful girl reflected in it. This girl wasn't me; it couldn't be. I wasn't hideous but I was never the prettiest girl either. I was average and hardly wore makeup. Maybe that's why my new look threw me off guard.

The girl in the mirror had lush lashes, coated with a deep layer of mascara. Black liner elongated her eyes and pink gloss shimmered on her full, lined lips. The amber tone of my eyes contrasted against the smoky make-up, giving them a yellowish hue. I looked like a different person.

"Do you like it?" Myra asked after Allison had finished her make-up. Her emerald eyes sported brown and gold liners, making them pop. She wore a nude gloss on her lips and a thin coat of glitter adorned her lids.

"Yeah, I do, but let me just say, you look amazing Mai." She smiled warmly.

"I hope Jason will like it..." She trailed off as she ran her fingers through her straightened bob.

"Jason?" I asked bewildered. Her face turned red when she realized she'd said that out loud.

"She likes him!" Allison shouted before locking herself in the restroom.

"Allison!" Myra scolded, her cheeks pink.

"Aww, that's adorable Mai. I think you guys would make a great couple." I enthused.

"You think so?" She asked softly. I nodded.

"Definitely!" I affirmed with a smile. Shortly afterwards, Allison came out of the restroom fully dressed in her pink jumpsuit. I noticed she altered it into a two piece that now showed her navel. Flower designs and glitter covered her stomach and she had her platinum locks fastened in a high ponytail.

"Wow, you look great!" I enthused as she slipped on some plastic bracelets and some curly-toed shoes that she got from Ms. Saunders. A painted-on mask covered her lined eyes.

"I know." She replied before flicking her ponytail and walking past me. "Come on, I'll help you get dressed." Myra offered before picking up the dress and following me into the restroom. I stripped down to my underwear timidly. "Raise your hands." She instructed as she pulled the puffy garment over my head. Once everything was in its correct place, she began lacing up the back. I put my hands on the wall as she tightened it most of the way. "Wow, your waist is tiny!" She mused when she finished. After taking a step back and admiring me, she placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled.

"You look breath-taking." She assured before stepping out of the restroom and leaving me alone with the rectangular mirror they borrowed from our neighbors. My heart raced as I stared at myself. The gown had sweetheart neckline that flattered my bust. A large bow with a gem adorned the center.

Rhinestones lined the edges of the corset and puffy skirt. Myra lent me some black, elbow length gloves she'd made a few years ago. After slipping those on, I pulled the navy mask over my face and tied it beneath my hair. It had two feathers in the center, and rhinestones lined the edges.

"Are you ready?" Myra asked as I stepped out of the restroom. I nodded. She wore a stunning white gown that reached her feet with an off-shoulder corset that hugged her petite frame. She wore a hand-made halo on the top of her head and a pair of golden craft-foam wings adorned her back. Her blond locks and porcelain skin made her look like a real angel.

"Let's head out. I'm getting hungry and I heard they have snacks!" Allison urged as she picked up her tiny hand-made bag. After making sure we had everything, we closed the door and began our trek across campus.

I glanced around as we walked towards the school. Everybody was wearing a costume. Seeing all these characters trudge across the grass made me feel like we were in a parade. Both girls and guys chatted excitedly as they approached the school. Once we made it to the main gate, we paused. "Ready for the best night ever!?" Allison enthused. "Heck yeah!" Myra cheered before fixing her dress and making her way inside. After taking in a deep breath, I followed them in.

"Wow." I mused as I laid eyes on the auditorium. Multicolored streamers adorned the ceiling and balloons covered the walls. Confetti littered the dance floor and rectangular tables lined the edges of the room. A DJ in costume spun tunes from the stage and snack tables lined the walls near the entrance. After wandering around for a few seconds, Myra chose a table near the back with a direct line of sight to the entrance and dance floor.

"Great choice!" Allison enthused as she put her bag down. Myra bobbed her head to the music as she looked around. "I'm gonna get something to drink. You guys want anything?" Allison asked. I shook my head.

"I'm good too Alli, thanks." Myra assured as she continued to look around.

"Who are you looking for?" I teased, startling her out of her thoughts.

"Uh, nobody! Nobody at all he-he!" She responded nervously. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Look, they're here!" She shouted over the music as she motioned towards the door. Jason walked in first. He wore a leather Jacket over his white T-shirt, black jeans and a pair of sunglasses obscured his face. He had slicked his hair back, uncovering his left eye. A greaser costume

"Wow, he looks really good!" I laughed as I turned to my friend. A dazed expression had taken over her features. I glanced back at Jason, who looked around for a few seconds until he spotted us. Myra's cheeks flared crimson when he lowered his shades and winked at her.

"You've got it bad huh?" I teased as I poked her with my elbow. She nodded.

"I've liked him for a few years now." She admitted, as she crushed her hands between her thighs.

"That's awesome." I assured with a smile.

"Really? Allison always tells me I'm dumb for liking Jason. She says he's never gonna take me seriously..." She trailed off sadly. I shook my head.

"Jason is surprisingly insightful. I know he's a goofball, but he's got a good heart. I know you two will be happy together." She smiled warmly.

"Thanks dude." She said as she wrapped an arm around me and squeezed.

"Look there's Croy!" She exclaimed as she motioned towards the door. I stared at the boy in the Knight costume. His messy hair fell over the silver mask that obscured his face. He wore a foam suit, spray painted silver and a prop sword hung loosely from his side. My heart cringed as Allison walked up to him and pulled him out towards the dance floor. I swallowed forcibly, a lump forming in my throat as I watched them disappear through the crowd.

"Haze?" Myra asked, concern prominent in her tone. I shook my head.

"I'm okay Mai, I'm fine. I'm just gonna go to the restroom." I muttered before standing up. Myra was about to protest when Jason walked up to our table and sat down lazily.

"Hey Mai, what's crackin'?" Her cheeks turned pink.

"Mai it's okay, you stay and keep Jason company, I can go alone." Myra looked at me anxiously.

"Hey, you know this chick?" Jason asked bewildered. Myra snickered.

"Yeah Jase." She affirmed as she sat back down.

"Hey Jason." I waved; a bit embarrassed.

"Your voice sounds familiar, but I can't place your face..." He trailed off. I lifted my mask and showed him my new make-up. He leaned in to get a closer look.

"Is that?" He asked as he turned to Myra, an astonished look on his face. Myra nodded happily. "Hazel?!" He asked as he got close to me.

"Personal space Jason!" I said as I backed up, Myra laughed.

"No way! Croy's gonna freak!" He said as he sat back down. Myra shot a worried glance in my direction.

"I doubt it." I muttered sadly as I excused myself from the table and made my way towards the restrooms.