Chapter 33. Set-up

I walked for ten minutes in silence. The sun was beginning to set, bathing the sky in an orange hue. I glanced up at the trees, their leaves swayed gently in the afternoon breeze. The closer I got to the meadow, the more anxious I felt. When I finally reached the end of the trail, I stopped. I stood there motionless for a long period of time. After a couple of deep breaths, I closed my eyes and stepped into the clearing.

Sunlight engulfed the meadow completely. Birds and insects fluttered about as they enjoyed their last few minutes of light. In the center of the meadow he laid, his arms behind his head and his eyes closed. His golden locks reflecting the diminishing sunlight.

I walked forward nervously, one step at a time. My heart rate spiked when he turned his gaze towards me. The same ivory mask from that night framed his face. His eyes widened when he saw me. "Princess? What are you doing here?" he asked as he got up quickly and brushed himself off. My face flared crimson.

Croy. Damn it Mai! I cursed to myself. She'd done this on purpose. I had just told her a few days prior that I would keep our kiss a secret. We stood in front of each other silently for a few seconds, neither of us looking directly at the other. "Myra was wrong..." I began after a little while. "I shouldn't have come here, I'm sorry!" I said as I turned around quickly. I couldn't face him.

"Myra?" he repeated incredulously. "Wait!" he said as he stopped me. I turned to see his fingers wrap around my wrist. "Please don't go." He begged. I swallowed thickly when he placed his hand beneath my chin and lifted my face to meet his. "You really do exist..." he trailed off.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He shook his head and chuckled. "All this time, I thought I had imagined the Princess from the dance that night. Since I never saw you again, I started to believe that you were a figment of my imagination." I shot him a sympathetic glance; I knew exactly how he felt. "But now I have you here in front of me." My heart raced as he pulled my face a bit closer. "If only I could prove this was real..." he whispered as he caressed my cheek with his thumb.

"Princess." He muttered as he nudged his nose against mine. His breath was minty like always. "Forgive me." My mouth watered as he leaned in all the way and closed the distance between us.
His lips were sweeter than I remembered. Perhaps it was the fact that now I knew who was behind the mask. I raised my hand timidly and touched his face. In response he wrapped his arm around my waist and deepened the kiss.

Without thinking, I entangled my fingers in his golden locks. After an uncountable amount of time, we both pulled away, breathless. "So, this is real." He affirmed as he rested his forehead against mine. His face was flushed. "I want to show you something." He began as he took my hand and placed it on the mask he wore.

"W—what are you doing?" I asked nervously. My hand clammed up as he wrapped his fingers around it and helped me pull off his mask. "Croy. We should stop." His eyes widened when I said his name.

"You know me? Does that mean I know you too?!" he asked, confused. "Who are you!?" He demanded in a stern tone.

"You don't understand, this isn't right! You don't want me. I-I have to go!" I screamed as I took off at full speed into the woods.

"Princess!" he called as he came after me. I ran through the trees and shrubs as fast as I could manage. Leaves and ferns scraped me as I ran past. I wasn't heading anywhere specific. I just had to get away from him.

"If he finds out who I am..." My thoughts trailed off as I sprinted faster. I could hear his footsteps catching up to me. I glanced back to see he was right at my heels, "Crap!" I hissed fretfully and picked up speed. I should have watched where I was going. If I had been paying attention, I probably would've gotten away, and the beautiful Princess's identity would've remained a mystery.