Chapter 42.5 Mini Golf (Nathan PV)

(Nathan POV)

Nathan rushed home. The moment he stepped in through the doors of his apartment, he stripped and went straight for the shower. The fresh water felt amazing. It helped melt away the weariness that had accumulated in his muscles from a long day's work. Though he usually liked to take his time in the shower, he couldn't allow himself to get distracted today. He had a pending date with Hazel, and he wanted to make sure he got to her house on time. Once he was finished washing up, the brunette made his way out of the shower with a towel around his waist.

"Oh, your home already. How was work?" His roommate asked when he stepped through the door a few minutes later. Nathan was already dressed in a pair of nice jeans and a button-up short-sleeve. He was fixing his hair in the bathroom mirror when the other walked up and leaned his weight against the door frame.

"I have a date today. I'm about to head out." He informed the other.

"Oh, right. You told me about that." His roommate muttered as he took a bite of a green apple he'd found on the table.

"You know, I don't mean to be a buzzkill..." He began as he chewed carefully.

"Then don't be." Nathan shot back, not in the mood to listen to the other's scolding.

"Just be careful. You know hiding the truth isn't the best choice most of the time. The truth will always come to light, sometimes at very inconvenient moments." He told him before taking another bite of his apple. Nathan rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, okay MOM." He muttered as he walked past the other male in search of his keys.

His roommate shrugged when Nathan blew him off. "Look, you and I know the truth can be painful, but nothing hurts worse than a lie. Don't say I didn't warn you..." He mumbled as he threw away the apple core, then locked himself in the restroom. After grabbing his wallet and car keys, Nathan shot one last glance in the direction of the closed restroom door. "Always so nosey." He mumbled before making his way out.

It did not take Nathan long to arrive at Hazel's house. She only lived a few blocks away. That little coincidence made things much easier for him. Of course, she hadn't been to his house yet, so she did not know where he lived. Perhaps that would change soon? As soon as he pulled up in the driveway, he took out his phone and texted her that he was outside.

He tapped his fingers on the wheel as he waited, his roommate's words still fresh in his mind.

"Don't say I didn't warn you..."

Nathan rolled his eyes. "Always so pessimistic. Why does it have to be a bad thing? I'm sure she'll get over it eventually. It's not like I'm lying to hurt her, I'm trying to protect her!" He reasoned out loud. Just before a knock on his window made him jump.

Hazel snickered from the other side of the glass. "Did I scare you?" She asked, an amused grin framing her face. Her hair was styled in a high ponytail today. Her bangs swept to the side of her face where she'd pinned them with a band-aid shaped clip. Nathan couldn't help but stare.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" She joked as she walked around and slipped into the passenger seat.

"I was just admiring your beauty." He admitted as he shifted gears and reversed out of the driveway. Hazel blushed at the other's brazen admission. She focused her gaze out the window, urging her speeding pulse to simmer down as they drove to their destination. The ride was quiet, but pleasant. Nathan had his phone hooked up to the stereo, which filled the vehicle with nostalgic 2,000's hits. Hazel bobbed her head to the beat, occasionally joining in and singing a chorus or verse. Nathan smiled; she had a nice voice.