Chapter 31. Sick

I sprinted through the woods as fast as I could. My mind swirled with thoughts of them together, thoughts of losing him. Twigs brushed me as I ran past. I could hear their footsteps behind me. I was beginning to run out of breath. If this kept up, I would have to stop. I sprinted until I reached the meadow where he stood, motionless. His blond hair swayed in the breeze. His pale face was covered in blood. I ran towards him, but just as I was about to reach him, a loud clicking sound resonated behind me. I turned and found myself staring into the barrel of a loaded gun. I shot a glance at Croy and mouthed three words to him. He screamed, the sound of his voice drowned out by the loud gunshot that echoed through the woods.

"Noo!!" I screamed as I sat up with a jolt and looked around. I was covered in sweat and sitting on one of the infirmary beds. "It was just a dream..." I sighed.

"You're awake!" a familiar voice interrupted my thoughts. Croy tossed himself on top of me and crushed me in his arms.

"Croy..." I gasped. "I... can't breathe..." he let go of me instantly.

"Sorry..." he apologized sheepishly. My heart sank when I laid eyes on him. He looked terrible. He was pale and had dark bags underneath his eyes. He was visibly thinner, and his hair was tangled and uncombed. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Croy, what happened..?" I asked, concerned.

"Well, I don't know how much you remember, but we were training, and it was really cold. You were soaked because of the rain. Just as we were about to finish, you fainted. I caught you and carried you to the infirmary. When we got here you were burning up.

The nurses put you on a stretcher and wheeled you next door, over to the ICU in the main building. They took your clothes off and laid you in a tub filled with ice water. The doctor told me you had pneumonia and that your fever was so high that you were about to convulse. She said she didn't know if you were going to make it..." he glanced down at the floor. After a few seconds he continued. "After they managed to lower your fever, they placed you in this room and I've been here with you ever since..." he said as he adjusted himself on the edge of the bed. I leaned over and placed a hand on his cheek.

"You didn't have to worry. I'm fine now aren't I?" I asked, trying to comfort him. He pulled away from me.

"Yeah, NOW, but you weren't okay before. You almost died. You've been unconscious for three days..." he trailed off wearily.

"Three
days?!" He nodded. It didn't feel like that long. It felt like I had just woken up from a pleasant nap. "I'm sorry I made you worry..." I said as I placed my hand on his face again. Instead of pulling away, he placed his hand over mine.

"Please..." he began in a whisper. "Don't leave me..." he said as he closed his eyes and hugged me.

"I won't..."

After a small while, I broke the silence. "Croy?" I whispered but he didn't reply. Suddenly, I felt his body get heavy. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked just as his body slumped limply to the side. He landed softly on the hospital bed, unconscious. "Nurse! Somebody!" I screamed in a panic. After a few minutes, Doctor Lowell rushed into the room.

"Doctor, there's something wrong with my friend, please help him!" I begged on the verge of tears. Dr. Lowell put on her stethoscope and listened to Croy's heart beat for a few seconds. When she was done, she leaned over me and took the blood pressure reader that was hanging on the wall. She strapped it to his arm. After another small period of silence, she removed the strap and turned to me.

"Your friend is going to be fine." she assured as she pressed a blue button above my head. Shortly afterwards, two guys dressed in blue scrubs came in and lifted Croy off my bed. They laid him on the small couch that was on the other side of the room. She leaned over me and took out a white sheet from a cabinet above the bed, then walked back over and draped it lightly over Croy.

"Please tell me what's wrong with him!" She turned to me, her eyes warm and sympathetic.

"He's exhausted. He hasn't slept or eaten anything for the past three days since he brought you in. He's been really worried about you. All he needs is rest and some good food." she reassured as she pulled up my covers and placed her hand on my forehead.
"Your fever has finally broken. That's a good sign. You have to get better, so you can take care of him." she said softly. I nodded. "That boy has been under my care since he was 8 years old." She recalled fondly as she glanced in his direction. "He's probably the closest thing I have to an actual son. So please, try to teach him to not be so reckless."

"Now both of you, try to rest okay?" she said as she walked out of the room and turned off the light. As soon as she closed the door, I got off my bed and made my way to where Croy was resting. I sat down quietly on the floor next to the couch.

"You're an idiot..." I whispered as I shook my head and caressed him gently. After a few seconds of running my fingers through his hair, I leaned in closer. His soft breathing grazed my face. The pale moonlight shone through the open window, making his skin glow.

My eyes rested on his slightly parted lips,causing my heart to flutter when I realized what I was considering. My cheeks turned pink as I leaned in and touched his nose to mine. My mouth watered as I kissed his forehead . After that I got up and crawled back into bed, my face crimson. "Why does he always cause such a reaction in me?" I asked myself as I tried to steady my erratic heartbeat .Eventually, I fell back into a dreamless sleep.