Chapter 23. Prince

My eyes watered as the feeling from earlier intensified. "He won't freak, I'm sure he won't even notice..." I thought sadly to myself as I walked. Suddenly, an unfamiliar voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Would you like to dance?" I looked up to see a guy with short hair. He had brown eyes and wore a sleek tuxedo with a black eye mask.

"Who are you supposed to be?" I asked curiously.

"The name's Bond, James Bond." He said while popping out his chest.

"I'm sorry Mr. Bond, but I don't dance." I turned him down.

"Oh, okay..." He responded sadly; his confidence hurt. I felt kind of bad for him. "Okay then, have fun." He said softly as he walked off.

"Maybe I was too harsh?" I asked myself just as another voice interrupted me.

"Wanna dance?" He asked. This guy had a superman costume and he wore a red eye mask to match his underwear.

"No, I'm sorry but I don't dance." I replied cautiously.

"Aw come on, it'll be okay!" He said as he took my hand and pulled me to the dance floor. After trying to dance a few steps, I accidentally stepped on his toes.

"Ow!" he let out a scream as my boot squashed his costume ones.

"I'm sorry! I told you I don't know how to dance!" I apologized, embarrassed.

"It's okay gorgeous, you can always make it up to me." He whispered as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me in aggressively. He tried to kiss me, but I turned away.

"Cut it out!" I shouted as I shoved him and tried to run. He grabbed me again, more brusquely this time. "Let go of me!" I screamed, his grasp tightening. No one could hear me over the blaring of the speakers. I squinted my eyes as he inched closer. His putrid breath washed over me as he leaned in to steal my first kiss.

"Hey!" A voice pierced through the music. "The girl said no, leave her alone!" Superman grasped me tighter, refusing to let go. The other guy must've been standing behind us.

"No, she owes me! Besides, I saw her first!" Superman shouted as he shook me.

"That's no way to treat a lady!" The unknown guy hissed before shoving him and knocking him over. Since he hadn't let go, I fell with him. "Are you okay!?" The mystery guy gasped before holding out his hand.

"Y-yea, I think so..." I began, unsurely before glancing up at him. He wore a navy blazer with a red sash draped across his torso. Golden epaulettes adorned each one of his elegant shoulders. He wore a white shirt, a navy tie and a black vest underneath the blazer.

Fake medals adorned his lapel and he wore a golden crown on his neat blond hair. An ebony mask framed his face and his eyes glowed an intense shade of blue. "Wow, what a guy..." I thought to myself as I stared.

"This isn't over!" The angry superman warned as he pushed through the crowd and disappeared.

"Thank you for helping me out, that guy was acting crazy" I said as I dusted myself off.

"Don't worry about it Princess." He insisted as he kissed my right hand. My cheeks turned red, the gesture reminding me of the boy I met just hours before. He chuckled lightly at my embarrassed reaction. "Your costume is astonishing." He mused, twirling me gently. "Are you an angel?" He asked with a crooked smile.

"A fallen one maybe." I retorted with a wink. He smiled at my comment.

"So, you ceased to be an angel from heaven, only to become a Princess on earth?" He asked before bowing.

"I wanted a change of scenery." I joked.

"I know you may be opposed to the idea given the situation you just went through, but would you grant me this dance?" He asked, a gentle expression on his face.

"Of course, it's the least I can do." I said before taking his hand and following him to the dance floor. A slow song began to play, as if on cue. "I don't know how to dance very well though..." I trailed off embarrassed. My pulse accelerated as he placed his hand softly around my waist and pulled me gently to his side.

"I'll teach you" he whispered. My face flushed as he led me effortlessly through the steps. We twirled and glided gracefully across the dance floor. There were moments I could've sworn we were floating. Although it was fun, all the spinning and swaying made me dizzy.

"Princess? Are you okay?" He asked as I laid my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah, just a bit dizzy..." I admitted sheepishly.

"Would you like to get some air?" He asked, pulling us away from the dance floor.

"Yeah, that sounds lovely." I agreed with a smile. He took my hand and led the way out of the auditorium.

"After you" he said as he opened the door and motioned for me to go first.

"Thank you, good sir." I snickered as I stepped through the door. The night air was crisp and smelled like fresh pine. The stars sparkled lively against the navy sky. I followed the Prince towards a bench behind the auditorium. He waited till I sat down first before taking a seat beside me. "And they say chivalry is dead." I teased.

"I know, I know. It may come off as cheesy but, I honestly enjoy doing things like this. I'm not doing it to impress you, although that would be a plus." He said with a wink. "I guess, I'm what people call an old soul. I like being a gentleman and honestly, I aim to become someone completely different from my father..." He trailed off before glancing down at his polished boots.

"Your father?" I asked bewildered.

"Yeah, sorry. I said too much, do you mind ignoring that last part?" He asked softly.

"It's ignored, and I think your chivalry is refreshing." I said as I bumped his shoulder with mine. "Look, a firefly!" I mused as my vision fixed on the little bug that flickered in front of us. "I've never seen one in person before!" I enthused as I followed it.

"Really?" The Prince asked, surprise in his tone.

"Really, it's so cool!" I exclaimed. After a few seconds, he stood up.

"You wanna see something really, really cool?" He asked before holding out his hand.

"Uh...sure?"

"Come on, I'll show you." After a brief second of hesitation, I placed my hand in his and allowed him to lead the way.

"Where are we going?" I asked as we crawled beneath the familiar fence, I almost didn't fit with my dress.

"You'll see..." He said before flashing me a crooked smile. My heart skipped when I remembered a certain someone's habit of doing that. After a 5-minute trek, we stopped in front of a familiar log. "Let me go first" he instructed before climbing onto the fallen trunk, then disappearing into the foliage below.

"Whenever you're ready Princess!" he called a few seconds later. Carefully, I maneuvered my way to the edge, then slid down the fern covered slope.

"Ahh!" I screamed when I nearly lost my balance. Luckily, The Prince was waiting for me at the bottom, his hands outstretched in case I tripped.

"You okay?" he chuckled as he caught me in his arms. His intoxicating cologne made my mouth water.

"Ye—Yeah, I'm good." I stammered as I brushed myself off. "This place looks familiar..." I thought to myself as I glanced around.

"Whenever you're ready." He smiled before holding out his hand again. I took it timidly and allowed him to lead me past the tall trees that blocked the way.