Chapter 27. Consolation Prize (AllyPV)

(Flash back to the night of the dance after Croy rejected her.)

"Come on..." I hissed as I took Kyle's hand and led him to the dance floor. I placed my hands on his shoulders and allowed him to lead me through the crowd. Tears of anger and rejection welled in my eyes. I blinked quickly, willing them to seep back into my ducts.

"Is dancing with me really that horrible?" He asked in a low voice. I glanced up at him, a bit surprised by his comment. His blond hair fell loosely over the silver mask that framed his face.

"N-no, it's not you Kyle, I just don't know what to do anymore..." I trailed off as I stared at my curly-toed shoes.

"About...?" He asked as he twirled me gently.

"About Croy, all he does is think about that roommate of ours day and night. She barely got here a few months ago, she doesn't even know anything! She's clumsy and lacks total sex appeal, I just don't get it!" I ranted irately. "I'm much prettier than her, way more stylish and he still won't notice me—"

"Then give up." he interrupted.

"What? Why would I—"

"Because he's clearly not into you." He retorted sternly. I stopped dancing and turned to walk away, but he held my wrist back. "What's so special about him anyway?" I scoffed and pulled my wrist away.

"Goes to show what you know. Croy's the most popular boy here, not to mention handsome and strong, nobody messes with him!" Kyle furrowed his brows at me.

"Okay, what else?" My eyes widened when he asked that.

"W-what do you mean what else? What else is there!?" I asked annoyed. Kyle sighed wearily.

"Forget it." he muttered as he turned to walk away from me.

"Hey! Where are you going!?" I asked as I followed behind, he shrugged me off. "Hey, I'm talking to you!" I shouted as I pulled his hand back. My eyes widened as he turned around and yanked me in. My face boiled over as Kyle, without warning, pressed his lips against mine. After a few confusing seconds, he pulled away from me.

"There's other guys in this camp besides him you know..." he trailed off as he rested his forehead against mine. My heart raced in my chest as he leaned in and pressed another light peck on my neck. "I love you Allison. I've loved you since we met, but you've always been so fixated on Croy, that you can't see past your own nose. When you ask me what else is there, it just goes to show you don't really care about him. He's nothing but a trophy for you and honestly, I'm not down to be your consolation prize..." he trailed off as he pulled away.

"W-wait!" I stammered as he began walking away. "Do you really mean that?" I asked, my face pinker than my costume. He nodded as he glanced down at his silver boots. "Why?" I asked softly. "Why do you love me?" He sighed, exasperated.

"You really have to ask?" He replied with as smirk as he turned around to face me. "You're brave Alli. Everything you did to protect your sister; shows what kind of person you really are. Everybody may think of it as vanity, but I think you're artistic and creative in the way you dress and do your make up. You're determined, you don't give up easily and that's attractive to me. You're also more intelligent than you let on. You're the top student in most of your classes and you excel at most of the drills we're forced to run.

You're a lot wiser than you pretend to be. I know it's just a facade, a mask you wear in order to fit in, but let me tell you..." he trailed off as he took a step closer. "You don't need it." He whispered as he caressed my cheek gently with his thumb. "I may not have the best reputation, I may not be the best in the eyes of others, but for you Allison Lowery, I'll be anything," he whispered, his emerald eyes half open as he stared at my lips. Unconsciously, I pulled him in by the foam armor he wore and pressed my lips firmly against his.

"Be mine..." he whispered after we pulled away. His emerald eyes seemed to glow against the dim lighting.

"O-okay," I agreed with a nod as we swayed to the music. Everything seemed to sparkle as we danced and twirled beneath the spotlight.

(Bang!)

A gunshot echoed through the auditorium halls, causing everyone to panic. "Duck!" Kyle screamed before wrapping his arms around me. Another set of gunshots rang out shortly after. "Let's get out of here!" he hissed before taking my hand and pulling me through the panicking crowd. When we made our way outside, we noticed Myra hiding behind a furious Jason. "Stay here." Kyle instructed before making his way towards the commotion.