Chapter. 24.5 Costume (Croy PV)

"Ugh, do I have to?" An exasperated groan escaped my lips as I glanced down at the folded costume. Jason stood on the other side of the cabin, his arms crossed and his shoulder against the wall.

"Yep, I promised Mai I would make you participate." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Why don't you have to participate?" I asked bitterly.

"I am participating..." he trailed off as he walked over to the nightstand and took out a pair of sunglasses. "See?" He said as he gestured to himself after putting them on.

"Your costume is literally just a pair of shades, a jacket and jeans. Why can't I do the same?" I grumbled.

"Sorry, it was the art teacher's only set. Now hurry up, we don't want to keep the ladies waiting." he said as he patted my shoulder and walked outside for a smoke. Reluctantly, I made my way into the restroom to get dressed. After nearly 15 mins of fiddling with the cuff links, a loud knock on the door made me jump.

"Come on dude, now's not the time to take a du—" he stopped when I opened the door and shot him a disapproving glare. "Ha-ha-ha!" Jason burst out laughing when he laid eyes on me.

"That's it, I'm taking this crap off!" I hissed as I began to strip. "No, no! I'm just teasing!" He wheezed as he wiped a tear from his eye.

"It looks good." he said with a serious face as he placed a hand on my shoulder and stared at the mirror in front of us. "If you want to be a Ken doll ha-ha!" I rolled my eyes and stared at the reflection in the mirror. "Here." he said as he handed me a plastic crown.

"Aw hell no, I'm not wearing that!" I said as I crossed my arms.

"Come on dude, you know Mai put a lot of thought and work into your costume." he said as he held it out again.

"I'm gonna look ridiculous! More than I already do!" I groaned.

"Look, you and I don't really get this corny stuff, but girls love it. That's why I'm rocking my shades, I know Mai digs the bad boy look." He said as he combed through his greasy hair and adjusted his leather jacket.

"Oh yeah, you're so bad you don't have the guts to ask her out." I retorted as I took the comb from him and parted my hair.

"Hey, I wouldn't be talking if I were you Ramos!" He shot back.

"I have no idea what you mean." I replied as I adjusted my shirt collar and tie.

"Come on dude. You can lie to yourself all you want but you can't lie to me. I've known you for almost 5 years and I've never seen you this stupid for a girl before. Not even when you dated, she who will not be named..." he trailed off. My face grew hot with embarrassment.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked warily. He nodded. "I can't tell her Jase! Remember the last time I tried to make a move? She literally got up and ran away. What if she doesn't feel the same and I end up ruining our friendship?" I asked softly.

"Look, I know it's scary. Rejection is even scarier, but you're gonna have to tell her sometime." he said as he draped his arm around my shoulder.

"What about you? When are you going to tell Myra how you feel?" He stood up straight and adjusted his jacket once more.

"Tonight." My eyes widened.

"Really?" I asked skeptically.

"Yeah, it's time I sack-up and go for broke. I think you should do the same..." he trailed off just as a knock on the front door made us look up.

"It's probably Kyle." he said as he made his way towards the door.

"Kyle!? Why'd you invite that asshat?!" I groaned as I placed the mask on my face and followed behind.