Chapter 26. Piano

"Ugh, stupid Croy!" I growled as I stomped through the woods and towards the lake. When I made it to the shore, I sat down with a huff.

"Hazel? What are you doing here?" Jason asked as he slung the bag that contained his uniform over his shoulder.

"Oh, hey Jase..." I muttered as I played with the grass. "Just needed time away..." I trailed off. A sympathetic smile crossed his face as he took a seat.

"Another fight?" I asked while he poked the scab he had on his lip. He nodded.

"I just don't understand why he has to lie to me. I wouldn't care about him any less..." I muttered.

"Croy's lying? About what?" He asked.

"About him and Allison, I saw them kissing and he still has the audacity to deny it!" Jason burst out laughing.

"I don't know what kind of misunderstanding you guys have, but I'm sure he isn't lying. Croy doesn't like Allison, he never has!" I furrowed my brows.

"But I saw th—"

"Hey guys!" Allison interrupted. My eyes nearly bulged out of my head when I noticed who she was with.

"'Ello little lady. Nice to see you again." It was Croy's doppelganger, Kyle. He was holding Allison's hand.

"I see things went well last night," Jason teased with a smile, causing Allison to blush.

"I'm happy for you guys. What about you Haze? Are you happy that these kids are a couple?" Jason asked, shooting me an amused glance.

"Y—yeah! That's great, I wish you both the best..." I trailed off. Allison's face lit up.

"Thanks girl, I wish you the best with your crush as well!" she winked before turning around and walking back to the camp with Kyle.

"So, it was Kyle I saw in the woods earlier?" I asked myself out-loud. Jason nodded.

"Seems like it. I think someone owes Croy an apology," he teased. My heart cringed.

"You're right, I have to go apologize!" I exclaimed before jumping to my feet and making my way back towards the camp.

"Don't you want to know where to find him?" His question caused me to stop in my tracks.

"Oh right. I might need to know that he-he," I retorted sheepishly. Jason rolled his eyes, then stood up and stretched.

"He's in the music room, elective classes stay open even during winter break."

"Thanks Jase!" I exclaimed before turning around and making my way to the school.

I could hear a soft melody playing as I approached the music room. My heart raced as I planned out my apology. How could I possibly face him now? My jealousy had taken over and caused me to act like an imbecile with him. With a guy that had done nothing but protect me since day one.

"I'm sorry for being an idiot. I'm sorry for being stupid..." I rehearsed softly for a few seconds. "This is gonna suck..." I muttered before taking in a deep breath and walking in. Croy was sitting at a piano in a corner of the music room, his fingers lightly caressing the keys. My heart raced at the beautiful melody he was producing. "No way, the piano too? He's unreal..." My thoughts trailed off as he began to sing.

"Trapped inside this hovel, Everything's the same Nothing ever changes for me.

Yet the echo of your voice, it keeps me on the ground, it's the one thing you fail to see.

I can't tell you everything I feel, you'll never give it second thought.

Your focus on the reason why we fought..."

Softly, I made my way over and took a seat on the bench next to him. He turned but didn't say anything. Instead, he continued singing.

"I don't want to be your friend.

"I can't go on like this..."

My heart sank when I heard the bridge. "He doesn't want to be my friend?" My mind raced. He must have noticed my shift in mood because he lowered his voice to almost a whisper before facing me.

"I'm falling for you

I don't know when it happened,

I just don't understand it

I'm falling for you

It must have been your smile

That made it all worthwhile..."

My pulse accelerated as he sang the chorus. Heat rose to my face as he turned to me and continued singing.

"I'm trying really hard to be myself

But I always end up hiding from you.

I fear that you won't like it

That you'll hate who you'll see

The only person I can truly be.

So, I'll just repeat myself

And tell you how I feel

Perhaps a million days

Or perhaps a million ways..."

I blushed fervently as he focused his cobalt gaze on me. A soft smile framed his lips as he leaned in a bit closer and continued the song.

"I'm falling for you

I don't know when it happened,

I just don't understand it.

I've fallen for you,

It must have been that smile

That made it worth my while.

I've fallen for you

I keep falling every day

And I don't plan to stop..."

My heart drummed rapidly against my chest plate as he ended the song. "You wrote that?" I asked incredulously, still mesmerized. He nodded. "Is there anything you can't do?" I thought out-loud. A soft scoff escaped his lips.

"There's a lot of things I can't do..." He trailed off. "But if you're referring to instruments, the piano and the guitar are the only things I can play."

"Still, that's amazing," I enthused. He shrugged.

"Not really. If I hadn't found a way to kill time, I would've gone crazy already." he admitted. After that, a heavy silence settled between us. I took advantage and tried to apologize.

"Look, I just came to tell you that I'm s—" he placed a finger over my lips and silenced me.

"It's okay..." he whispered before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on my cheek. "I forgive you." Steam nearly shot out of my ears. Without another word, he stood up, picked up the bag that was on the floor and began making his way out of the music room.

"W—where are you going!?" I stammered, still flustered.

"To Ms. Saunders' room. I have a costume I need to return," he muttered before holding up a crown and a mask. My eyes widened when I laid eyes on the familiar accessories.

"I'll see you later, Princess..." he trailed off with a wink before disappearing out the door.