Chapter 36. Trouble

Allison was the one that had screamed. When we made it outside, we saw that a mob of cadets had formed a circle. Violet had Allison in a chokehold and refused to let her go. Croy dashed to where they were. I stayed behind and watched silently from within the crowd. "Violet, let her go!" Croy shouted cautiously. Violet shook her head. "What did she ever do to you!?" Croy asked as he glared at her.

"She took you away from me!" Violet screamed crazily. I cupped my hands over my mouth. Croy was right about her being mental. I turned to see sergeants approaching from the west side of the camp.

"No she didn't Violet, calm down." Croy urged as he raised his hands defensively.

"Never! I'm going to end her for being your girlfriend! At first I thought you were dating that insipid twerp, but since she assured me you're just friends..." she trailed off as she licked her lips, then took out her purple pocket knife and pressed it to Ally's quivering throat.

"Help me." Allison squeaked in terror.

"She's not my girlfriend Violet, just stop!" Croy shouted.

"I don't believe you!" Violet screamed, nearly choking her.

"She's not my girlfriend!" Croy repeated, his hands balled.

"Then who is?!" She asked in a hiss, clearly a manipulation tactic and Croy was playing right into her hand. Allison whimpered as the cold metal irritated her neck. I took in a deep breath and stepped out to the front of the crowd. I was done hiding.

"I'M his girlfriend. Now back off." My stern words resonated through the commotion. Everyone turned to look at me. I held my ground firmly as I glared at Violet. She shoved Allison aside, the action making the blonde stumble.

"I knew it." She sneered as she grasped her knife and made her way towards me. The Sergeants managed to apprehend her just before she reached where I stood. "Let me go!" she screamed furiously as she struggled against their hold. A low growl escaped her throat then. "Heed my words Gallego. I'm going to end you. If it's the last thing I do..." She hissed before turning around in one swift motion and stabbing one of the Sergeants. Screams erupted from the crowd as blood dyed the young man's t-shirt. People began to panic, and a struggle ensued as our superiors scrambled around for help. This was way above their paygrade (which was absolutely nothing since they were prisoners too).

Violet took advantage of the commotion to slip through the crowd and run off towards the woods. Sirens pierced the silence, a few seconds afterwards. Croy rushed over and helped Allison back to her feet. I clenched my jaw and shoved my way past the other cadets, completely determined to catch her.

"Woah there twerp." Jason's familiar voice filled my ear as his arms wrapped around my torso.

"Jason, let me go. She's gonna get away!" I protested as he picked me up and easily carried me a few steps back.

"Let her. That's not your concern."

"But she—!" I began to protest, but Myra slipped her hand over my lips and silenced me.

"You've got people here who care about you. Please don't let her goading go to your head. She's trying to lure you out there." Myra warned as she glanced in the direction Violet had fled. I swallowed thickly, an uneasy feeling pooling in the pit of my stomach. It was as if my heart sensed that something terrible was about to happen.

A few weeks passed and Violet's whereabouts were still unknown. After that public declaration, Croy and I were unable to hide our relationship status anymore. I got a lot of mixed reactions from everybody. Myra and Jason who already knew, were thrilled and Kyle as well as Allison, were apathetic. As for Violet, I put her memory aside and continued my daily routine. One afternoon, I was cleaning up our drill equipment when I noticed that Croy had been gone for a while. After I finished cleaning up our area, I made my way out to the only place where I considered he could be.