Chapter 44 Dig Up His Bones

"Ouch, Alice!" I rubbed my head as she pulls a knot out of my hair.

"Well if you would sit still I would be able to speed up the process. Plus, its almost done. Please just let me do this." I sighed as I sat in front of her vanity. Alice woke me up earlier and decided to "fix me up" as she not so likely put it. 

"Alice, honestly whats the point in all of this? I mean its not like I need to dress for success. . .or  for anybody that matter." I mumbled underneath my breath. Colton didn't come home last night, nor has he made an appearance to call. Ugh! Why are men so infuriating?

My sisters hand stilled slightly as she brushed her fingers through my hair in a calming matter. As if on cue, a wave of content washed over me. Jasper made an appearance at least. Everyone has been watching me as if I was going to somehow kill myself. Jasper, of course being the overprotective brother he is, hasn't really left my side. In fact no one has. 

"No word from the creat-" Alice stopped herself as I slowly turned my head to look at her. A small smile on my face appeared. "I mean Colton." 

I knew what she meant. Everyone has nicknames for him and there was multiple. I sighed heavily, "No. Do you think I should call him? Make sure he's alright?" 

"Absolutely not!" Emmett's booming voice echoed from outside the door. Hmm, Jasper must've closed it. Ever the gentlemen. "I say leave him for the pack of mutts that now take residence in La douche." 

That got a chuckle out of all of us. Of course Emmett would make up a name like that. Creative family I've got here. "It's La Push, Em. I'm also not letting him get eaten buy a bunch of wolves that have slight anger issues." 

"Slight?" Jasper sassed back. I glared at him and as his defense he sent another calming wave to me. 

"You don't play fairly." I pouted and turned back to the vanity mirror that showed what I had to really offer and just like that I was back to being sad. Did I deserve to be like this? Did I not try everything in my power to keep Colton? Did I not offer enough? 

"Stop." Alice said firmly. 

My shoulders slumped as I sat back fully in the chair. "Stop what, Alice?" 

"Stop thinking." I glanced up at her. Was she serious? "I mean it. Stop thinking that you weren't - that you aren't worth anything. You are worth every single star in the universe and you my beautiful sister will be okay. No matter what . . .just please believe me on this." 

My sister was pleading with me. Usually I only hear that tone when she wants me to go shopping with her. What she said hit home. If Alice the All scene told me I was going to be fine, who was I to deny the little pixie. Curse you, Tinkerbell. 

For her. For my family who stood by and watched me like a hawk, I straightened my back and glared determinedly at the mirror. The mirror portrayed a women who had guts, who had seen things. Someone who was fierce and smart. A ruler if I do say so myself. "Okay, Alice." My voice shook but somewhere deep down I knew everyone was right. "Do your worst." 

"Please, I only do my best!" My sister said confidently. She was happy now, and when Alice is happy that means everyone is happy . . .and somewhat safe. 

In the mirror I glanced at Jasper. His eyes held gratitude as he inclined his head towards me. 'Thank you.' He mouthed. Every single day that we breath all Jasper tries to do is make Alice happy. He spends most of the time following her and showing her as much as affection as he can. He showers her with random presents which is hard since I have to be with him as he picks out her gifts. He shows her how he feels by letting her feel his emotions. He just wants to make her smile each day. Who could blame him?