chapter 52 Medicine Man

It was the third night that I had been out here, watching Bella's house as each passing hour goes by. I was with Jasper and as much as I loved my brother. He didn't talk very much and if he did speak, it was about how Emmett beat him in a game of chess or how Alice "tortured" him by taking him shopping with her. He loved being with Alice and whatever made her happy made him happy. I rolled my eyes as I stood against my post a.k.a a large oak tree besides Bella's bedroom window.

All was quiet in the house. Every now and then Bella's breathing would pick up signalling a small nightmare. I would eye my brother and instantly, Jasper through himself on her windowsill and sent calming waves inside her room. 

I never realized how beautiful the night was. Yes, I was over three hundred years old and yes I was immortal but I never really sat up all night and just closed my eyes and listened to the nightlife. I wanted to stay up forever and never rest my eyes again. Sleep wasn't that important, right? 

"Emily." Jasper said protectively as he turned around and started to walk backwards.

 I slumped against the tree farther and turned my head halfway. I knew what it was. . .well more likely who it was. Two very large and powerful wolves stalked forward. One was gray with a sandy brown tint to the fur, and I didn't need to be told who that was. His black eyes slid into slits as he eyed my brother but they soon relaxed as his eyes landed on me. 

I offered a small comforting smile as he inched further slowly. Paul was testing the waters and it was okay with me. He smelt of salt water and firewood, with a hint of morning rain mixed in. It was heaven in a nut shell. 

His partner, who had dark brown fur trotted forward and happily plopped on his butt. His tail wagging playfully. I giggled at his playful actions. 

"Emily." Jazz beckoned me once more. 

My eyes trailed towards my brother and I chuckled at his concern expression. "Go on ahead brother. I'll catch up soon enough." He was about to open his mouth when I sent waves of trust towards him. He had to have trust in me. Trust in the wolves. "Please?" 

Jazz sighed, torn between leaving me and taking me with him. Finally, with a breath, he shook his head and placed a kiss on my forehead. "If you need anything -" 

I pushed against his chest and smiled. "I'll call you." He gave the wolves a skeptical look and took one final glance at me. "Trust me, brother." Paul gave him a small huff in agreement as made himself taller next too me. It must have meant a truce to him since Jasper nodded and in a blink of an eye, he was gone. 

Paul shrunk down to my level and nudged my hand. He wanted me to pet him. . . like a dog. "Hi." I whispered shyly. Before placing my hand on his head. His fur looked to be rough but it was truly soft. It felt like on of those fur pillows that were sold at the mall. My heart swelled in content as he moaned softly and closed his eyes. 

The other wolf looked away and aloud us to have a moment before he slowly lowered his large brown body to the ground. His ears pointed straight up as he watched the trees create shadows against the house. 

Paul's black eyes peeled open and I squinted my eyes as they fought against the darkness. Beneath his large, piercing eyes, I noticed small lumps underneath them. I shook my head in concern as our eyes locked. "You need to get more sleep." 

He let out a low grumble as he rolled his eyes. The other wolf let out a sound that sounded like a bull. I could only assume it was a laugh. Paul bared his upper teeth to the smaller wolf. 

"You know this would be a lot easier if, oh, I don't know If I could actually talk to you." I wanted to hear his voice. I wanted to feel his warm arms around me. I wanted to know what he looked like. Paul glanced towards me and nudged me with his head as if to say 'wait here.' He bounced behind a green shrub and slowly the wolf shuddered to invisibility. There was no sound. No ripple effect.

It went quiet as the wind blew through the area. I looked at the brown wolf and quirked at its expression. It was almost to say 'Good luck.' When I turned back to the bush, I gasped as a tall figure now stood in the dark. 

I gulped. This was it.

This was gonna happen. I was finally going to meet my mate and I didn't know how to process that information. After Cole it was hard for me to picture anybody else so quickly but there he was. Tall and in the dark. 

He finally began to walk forward and as he came into the light that illuminated off of the moon, I couldn't help but feel my heart was about to explode. With a final, gentle step, there he stood; muscles and with a tan I only wish I could receive from the sun. His broad shoulders were bare as he came out in only his jeans. Finally he reached me and with a smirk he grabbed my hand and placed a gentle kiss upon the back of it. As if I was Cinderella. 

A smile spread wide across my face as we stared into each others eyes. "You great all the girls like that?" 

"Just the beautiful ones." He lowered my hand but made no move to let go of it. A light blush began to form on my cheeks as he took pleasure in the reaction he had caused. 

"So there's more than one eh?" I turned breathless as he cupped his other hand against my face. 

His thumb brushed against my cheek as he shook his head."Just you. It's always gonna be just you."

We stood in silence as another gust of wind blew my hair around my face.I wanted to throw my arms him and just stand guard in silence. His eyes held adoration and protectiveness and I never felt safer. Whether it was the magnetic pull between us that had been created by god himself or it was just a connection between us, I could tell I was gonna be with this man for a long time. 

I turned around and faced Bella's house with a small smirk. Behind me, my back slowly began to turn warmer as Paul came closer. His heat was magical. It didn't burn me. It didn't make uncomfortable. 

Paul wasn't just my true mate -he healed me without even knowing it. Within seconds I felt this urge to always be besides him, to make sure he was okay. I wanted to hold this man and never let go. He healed my heart and broke through just by breathing. He was my medicine  that cured me. 

He was perfect. 

He was mine