Chapter 14 •Prom Night Part 4•

ITS THE LAST PROM PART (maybe) I SWEAR!

"Prom King and Queen dance is over, everyone can dance again." The principal says in the microphone, and everyone files into the empty spaces surrounding me and Luke.
"You look beautiful tonight Rena. And I meant it at the dress shop too. I don't know why i was such a douche bag to you, but I was. And I am so sorry. I understand if you don't want to forgive me. I was rude, and I beat myself up about it all the time. But I do want you to know, from this moment on, I'm here to protect you, to love you, to be with you, and to become a better person for you. Rena I want to marry you someday." Luke says and a tear slips down my face.
"Luke I for give you 100 percent. It's in the past now, no need to worry about it anymore. Let's just worry about right now, and our future. I can't wait to see what it has for us." I say before kissing him one more time. A warm smile spreads on his face.
"Okay." He says as he hugs me. His hugs are so much different from everyone else's. No one holds me like Luke does. His smell embraces me, and doesn't let me go until fresh air hits my lungs once more. His warm hands at the small of my back, making my cold body warm again. And the funny thing is, I never knew I was cold, maybe because I never knew the difference. And little did I know that, Luke Hemmings, my ex best friend and enemy would be the warmth, the light of my life. The blood running through my veins, the thoughts in my mind. The air that helps my lungs from collapsing in my rib cage. How could I not see that my hatred for Luke was only masking my love for him.
"Do you want to go somewhere?" I ask and Luke's eyes widen.
"Are you sure you want t-"
"Not like that Luke. I mean somewhere more quiet to like talk and stuff. And nothing else." I say laughing a little. Luke's face softens and he smiles.
"Good, because I wouldn't want to have sex with you." He says and my smile gets washed off my face.
"What? Am I not good enough for you? Do I not have big enough boobs? Or a big enough ass for you?" I ask. I can feel my cheeks burning up. If I wasn't wearing makeup, they'd be cosmic red.
"No Rena not like that. You're perfect in my eyes. What I meant was I respect you more then to let you have our first time in the back of a car, or behind the school. I want it be special for you. I don't want you to regret having sex with me." He says and I'm speak less. He cares that much.
"Follow me." I say as I lead him out of the crowd, and out of the school. The cold air strikes my bare skin, causing chills down my body, and making me shiver.
"Here." Luke says as he takes off his jacket, and puts it on my shoulders.
"Thank you." I say smiling as his body heat radiates off his jacket, and onto my skin.
"Where are we going?" He asks as we walk down the road.
"A place I used to go to after we weren't friends anymore." I say and everything goes silent.
"I'm sorry." He says and sighs.
"Stop saying sorry." I say laughing a little.
"Sorr- anyways why are you showing me this place?" He asks correcting himself. I laugh and shake my head, and soon realize that he asked a question.
"This place is special to me, and I promised myself I'd show it to a special person." I say and I feel my cheeks getting hotter by the second. Saying that out loud is very embarrassing.
"Little did you know the guy that brought you there, is the guy you're taking 3 years later." He says laughing a little and draping his lanky arm over my small shoulders.
"That's crazy when you put it like that." I say laughing a little.
"Yeah, but I wouldn't have it any other way." He says and I nod, and rest my head on his chest.
"We're here." I say as I guide him to the tree.
"It's beautiful." Luke says looking at the towering tree in front of us. Considering its 11:30 at night it's dark outside, but a streetlight helps us see the beauty.
"Yeah." I say smiling a little, before sitting down.
"What's that?" Luke asks as he sits down next to me. He's looking at the heart I carved into the tree merely 3 years ago.
"In 8th grade I promised myself that once I think I found the one, I'd show him this place. So I put a heart there so that one day we'd finish it together. Like how cheesy teen movies work, they put their initials in it to signify the ever lasting love they have for each other." I say sighing a little. "Sorry that's really dumb." I say covering my cheeks. I always seem to embarrass myself.
"I think that it's a cute idea." Luke says and I look at him.
"Really?" I ask raising my eyebrows.
"Yeah. It just gives us an excuse to come back here. To finish the heart. Because I don't have a pocket knife on me." Luke says smiling. How'd he become mine?
"So, I know it's none of my business, but why do you regret having sex for the first time? Most guys wear it like a badge of honor." I say and Luke sighs.
"My first time was with Rebecca," he starts and I look at him shocked. I thought he had it way earlier than just a few months ago. "Shocking right? But I regret it so much." He starts.
"Why?"