Chapter 24 •Sound Check•

During sound check I show Adam all of my songs, and he loves them.
"What song will you open with?" He asks and I think about it for a second.
"I think gasoline." I say, and right as I do the band walks into the stadium. I notice a new face with them. Must be Ashley. "Hey guys you're just in time! I'm about to sing gasoline!" I say in the microphone, and everyone cheers. Except for Luke and his bitch. Ah, just like high school. Can't get enough.
"Ready?" Adam asks through the ear piece. I give him the thumbs up, and the music starts playing.
Are you insane like me? Been in pain like me?
Bought a hundred dollar bottle of champagne like me?
Just to pour that motherfucker down the drain like me?
Would you use your water bill to dry the stain like me?

Are you high enough without the Mary Jane like me?
Do you tear yourself apart to entertain like me?
Do the people whisper 'bout you on the train like me?
Saying that you shouldn't waste your pretty face like me?

And all the people say,

"You can't wake up, this is not a dream,
You're part of a machine, you are not a human being,
With your face all made up, living on a screen,
Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline."

Oh, oh, oh, oh,
I think there's a flaw in my code,
Oh, oh, oh, oh,
These voices won't leave me alone,

Well my heart is golden, my hands are cold,

Are you deranged like me? Are you strange like me?
Lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
Do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
Pointing fingers cause you'll never take the blame like me?

And all the people say,

"You can't wake up, this is not a dream,
You're part of a machine, you are not a human being,
With your face all made up, living on a screen,
Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline."

Oh, oh, oh, oh,
I think there's a flaw in my code,
Oh, oh, oh, oh,
These voices won't leave me alone,

Well my heart is gold and my hands are cold.

Once I finish the song, I look in the crowd and look at the expressions on everyone's face. All of their jaws are dropped.
"How'd I do?" I ask through the microphone.
"That was fucking amazing Rena! Holy shit! I have a celebrity crush on you!" Calum yells.
"Thanks Calum. But I'm not a celebrity." I say laughing into the microphone.
"I think everyone else on the Internet says something different." He yells back.
"I can't hear you! Just get your asses up here!" I say through the microphone, waving my hand to come up on the stage. Everyone laughs and gets up, and heads to the stage. "Now what were you saying Hood?" I ask once they get on stage.
"I was saying that everyone else on the Internet is in love with you. They can't stop talking about you, and they can't wait to hear your new songs." Calum says and I'm taken back by his words.
"How do they know about my new songs?" I ask confused.
"Management tweeted about it, and everyone went crazy." Ashton says budding in.
"Whoa. That's crazy. I have a lot of fans?" I say more as a question than a statement.
"Yep, a shit ton. But they're what make all of this worth it." Calum says as he wraps his arms around me.
"I'm so tired." I say as I rest my head on his toned chest.
"We'll get un tired because our first concert is tonight!" Calum says excited.
"I'm still tired." I say and he laughs.
"Here." Calum says as he picks me up bridal style.
"Calum Thomas Hood! Put me down!" I say laughing and trying to get out of his strong grip.
"Nope. I can't. Sorry babe." He says as he starts to sway back and forth.
"And why the hell not?" I ask laughing a little.
"Because big bad Erin will take you away from me!" He says with a puppy dog face and laughing a little.
"Oh my god. There's nothing going on between me and my bodyguard." I say.
"Not yet." Calum says behind coughs.
"Oh shut up. It's not going to happen. I don't even think that's allowed." I say laughing, still in Calum's arms. "Seriously though put my down. I'm probably killing your arms." I say still trying to get out of his grip.
"You weigh like a pound Rena!" Calum says and everyone laughs.
"I do not Calum. Is no one going to help me?" I ask and everyone shakes their head. I don't even look in Luke and Ashley's way. But then I soon realize that I didn't introduce myself to Ashley. "Wait is this the famous Ashley?" I ask raising my eyebrows at the short brunette that us displayed in front of me.
"I am. And you are?" She asks raising her eyebrows at me.
"Rena. You may know me for being Luke's ex girlfriend though." I say winking, and everyone laughs.
"Rena, Adam needs you for wardrobe for the concert tonight." Erin says as he walks on stage.
"Too bad Erin, I won't let her go." Calum says holding onto me.
"Is that so?" Erin asks as he quickly grabs me from Calum's hands. I'm now being held by Erin as he walks off stage.
"Goodbye Hood." I say with a smirk on my face, knowing I won.
"Yeah yeah whatever. Go to wardrobe." Calum says waving his hand at me. I just flip him off, as I get carried by Erin.
"Thanks for getting me from Calum. And the awkward situation I was in." I say to him as he walks down the hall.
"No problem. How was it awkward?" He asks looking at me.
"That's a story for another time."