Confusion With A Side Of Honesty

“This is the best pie, ever!” Rosia gushed as she took another generous scoop of Aunt Edie’s blueberry pie. Smiling, Rosia showed a piece of blueberry stuck in between her two front teeth.

Aunt Edie, who was sitting in front of Rosia and I, chuckled but didn’t comment on Rosia’s food malfunction. Lifting the steam mug of coffee to her lips, Aunt Edie gazed over at me with an unreadable look pasted on her face.

Glancing away from her, I started to once again fall into confusion as to why Aunt Edie was looking at me they way she did. Something Rosia said about me being ‘in love with a prince’, clearly set something off in her.

“Is this homemade ice cream, too?” Rosia questioned as she took a spoonful and practically shoved it in her mouth.

“Yeah, turned it this morning. Mr. Lionel, a dear friend of mine from the other side of town, owns a farm, gave me the milk just shy of dawn. I think fresh milk makes a world of difference,” Aunt Edie commented as she set her coffee cup on the wood table. “So, Skyla, tell me about this guy that you are wrung up with.”

“Ummm ... nothing to really tell. Only have met him three times ... thought I knew him.”

“What do you mean about that?” Edie asked as she raised an eyebrow.

“Well, I didn’t know he was a prince. That was until Rosia, here, blurted it out,” I stated as I picked around the white bowl of pie and ice cream.

Edie studied me for a good minute before picking up her coffee and taking another sip “Interesting,” Aunt Edie stated in a low tone.

“He is so cute! I mean, you should see the guy she is shacking up with...” Rosia began her mindless rant.

Face palming myself, I thought about interjecting that I was not ‘shacking up’ with anyone, but I knew Rosia would just rumble on even more if I interrupted her. The hour slowly ticked by and soon the heavenly sound of an old Grandfather clock permeated the air. “Well, I think it is time I headed to bed,” I proclaimed as I stood up.

“You’re not going to eat that?” Rosia asked as she pointed to bowl of pie and vanilla ice cream that now looked like some kind of soup that even if I was starving, I wouldn’t eat.

Shaking my head, I slid the bowl over to her as I pushed my chair in.

“Let me get you some clean linen,” aunt Edie said as she too stood up.

Ignoring how she was trying to get me alone to tell me something, I nodded. “See you in the morning, Rosia,” I told her with a pat on the shoulder.

Rosia said something incoherent as she shoved food in her mouth.

Deciding to not ask her what she meant and just take it as her saying goodnight, I trudged to the room Aunt Edie had assigned to be mine when she got custody of me. Upon entering the room I saw that she had painted the walls in my favorite color, which was a soft shade of lavender. Smiling ever so lightly, I glanced at the new bed that was also in the room. It was one that I have always wanted, a canopy bed with white fabric over the top and twisting around the post of the black wooden bed.

“It took me two full months to get this room in order for you. I know I’ve been promising to get it just the way you’ve wanted it, but I never seemed to find the time. Up until a month or so ago. So, like it?” Aunt Edie asked as she walked in and placed some sheets and towels on my new bed.

Giving her a wild grin, I nodded. “I love it!”

“Good, I am glad. Now, sit,” Aunt Edie said as she pointed to a clear spot on my bed.

Sighing, I mentally knew she was about to give me a lecture on something. Taking a seat where she instructed me, Aunt Edie looked down at me with the same expression she had been giving me all night. “Go ahead, tell it to me,” I muttered.

“I don’t know if I should get on you for dating a prince or for not telling me!” She exclaimed before starting to pace back and forth in front of me. “Skyla, I wanted you to fall in love while at this school. You, out of everyone I know deserves more happiness than the world has given you. I thought, however, that you’d fall madly in love with a normal, slightly wealthy guy. Not ... well, not a prince! Do you understand how unsafe that is?! He probably has twenty people out to kill him! With that power and money! I mean, Skyla, it is utterly amazing that you found a guy, I am super happy with you! But ... But I’m so confused!” She blurted out.

Looking at Aunt Edie I gave a small but audible chuckle. “You are confusing,” I replied to her.

Giving me a warning glare, she sighed. “I know, on one hand I am getting on to you for doing exactly what I wanted you to do and on the other ... on the other side I am just worried that with his status, you will be in danger.”

Standing up from the bed, I wrapped my arms around Edie and said the most truthful words that have ever rolled out of my mouth. “Trust me, Aunt Edie, he is not going to be the one that brings harm to me.”

 <><><><><>

A/N:

Please for the love of Monkeys ... smile and maybe comment?