Shark Attack - I Mean Heart Attack...

Skyla's P.O.V

It took me all of forty-five minutes to get across campus to the library, return the book and head back to the other side of campus for class. It surprised me at that I even made it to class on time because I was moving at incredibly slow pace due to my leg.

Sitting down at my desk, I was glad that I took a pain pill earlier because my leg was stinging bad. I grunted at the mere notion of telling one of the girls or guys that my leg was hurting. I could see their faces, all smug like and every single one of them would tell me: “well, if you’d stayed in bed like we told you, it wouldn’t be hurting. Now would it?”

Gulping loudly, I shook my head. Yep, there was no way I was even going to show I was in pain.

Leaning back, I noticed that the class was all talking amongst themselves while the teacher seemed to be nowhere in sight.

Looking down at my wristwatch, I saw that it was about time for class to start. As soon as I thought that, the sound of the late bell permeated throughout the air.

“Skyla?” A voice questioned more than stated.

Glancing up and beside me, I saw Griffin with a shocked expression planted across his face. Sitting down in a desk next to me, he smiled wildly. “Where have you been? I have been trying to get a hold of you. Yet, your friends kept pushing me away and telling me to leave you alone ... Did I do something?” He inquired with curious eyes.

I smiled and shook my head. “No, you didn’t do anything ... you see ... my father he passed away.” I had no idea where that lie came from but before I knew it my mouth was moving faster than my brain, which was in a state of shock that I was able to lie so easily. “The call I got from the rink was my uncle … Uncle Tate. He told me that my dad passed away the night before from … from a shark attack – I mean heart attack ... I’m sorry I ditched you at the rink but I left as soon as he told me. I took the first flight to my home in ... in Brinkridge, Connecticut ... Anyways, I just got back a few days ago and I told my friends that I didn’t want to see anybody ... guess they took that to heart... Once again, I’m really sorry.”

Griffin looked like he was heavy in thought before giving me a small smile. “I’m sorry for you loss.”

Dropping the corners of my lips in order to form a frown, I gave him a solemn nod. “It’s okay. Daddy had heart problems for as long as I can remember. Doctors were surprised he lasted this long...” I spoke with falsehood. Sitting there, I began to remember what Sebastian said about Griffin. Glancing back up, I saw Griffin was staring off in space and had a glazed look over his eyes that hinted that he was thinking hard about something. “Tell me, Griffin ... tell me about your family, since it is obvious the teacher is not coming in today.”

Shaking out of this thought, Griffin looked at me with slight wide-eyes. “F-Family? Uhhhh-”

“Sorry for being so late you guys! I know you all thought I was a no-show, but someone decided to egg my car last night.” Mr. Crock said as he came in and placed his briefcase on his desk before looking at the class before him.

Everyone erupted in laughter at the fact that his car was egged.

Rolling his brown eyes, Mr. Crock pushed up his black rimmed glass before running a hand through his black hair. “I know, ha-ha, laugh at the fool who egged my car because he will be spending three weeks in detention. Isn’t that right, Mr. Wilks?”

The class looked at Mr. Wilks, or better known as Peter Wilks, the prankster of Harvey Academy.

Okay, I know what you are thinking, how can Skyla Ruth know about a prankster and not about the Kings and what they looked like? Well, simple, Rosia dated Peter for a week or so last July and I had to endure her mindless rants about him. Let me tell you, she was head over heels for him back then. In her words exactly, she loved “that he was a badass and didn’t care about anyone” ... well those words kinda came back and bit her because she was right about something, he didn’t care about anyone and dumped her a few days later.

“Sorry, Mr. C, but three week, really?” He asked with a cocky smile.

Mr. Crock gave a mimicking cocky grin and nodded, “unless you prefer six weeks.”

“Naw, three weeks is good enough for me.” Peter replied before sinking into his desk chair with a smirk plastered on his conceited face.

“Good, now...” Mr. Crock started to tell the class all about this week’s assignment.

I paid attention, while I wrote something on clean page in my spiral notepad.

‘Can you meet me at the courtyard - lunch time?’

Creasing the paper down the middle and slyly handing it to Griffin, I awaited his reply. Seconds later the paper landed back on my desk.

Opening it, I read what he said:

‘Okay’

Shoving the paper in my backpack, I knew I was going to confront Griffin and find out what he was hiding from me. I knew Sebastian didn’t lie to me about what he found on Griffin and I really needed to know Griffin’s side before I decide if I should allow him in my life or not...

<><><><><>

A/N: 

Don't forget to vote or comment!