Unexpected

“Good morning!” Aunt Edie piped in as she walked in the kitchen with a bright smile plastered on her face. Strolling over to the coffee pot, she poured herself a large mug of the steaming black liquid.

Rosia and I, who had been up for about twenty minutes, moaned at her with droopy eyes. Both Rosia and I didn’t want to get up at six thirty in the morning, but Aunt Edie had set our alarms for the crack of freaking dawn. “Can we please go back to bed?” I questioned as I rested my head on the counter in front of me.

“No, but you two can get down from those bar stools and go get dressed. We have a very long day ahead of us. With shopping, more shopping and ever more shopping!”

“Shopping?!” Rosia exclaimed as she perked up from beside me.

Rolling my head over, I saw she held no more trace of being sleepy, which only meant one thing ... she was now intrigued at the idea of going shopping. “You guys can go, I’m not feeling well,” I lied.

Slipping off her bar stool, Rosia poked my side. “Come on, lets go get dressed! We have shopping to do!”

I shook my head as I sat up. “No, I am not going! You can’t make me!” I replied as I got off my chair. “Plus nothing is open now,” I remarked before yawning. “I’m headed back to bed, wake me up when y’all get back.” My sleepy legs were hardly able to put one foot in front of the other as I started to make my way towards my room.

“They have a bookstore in town! A new one with all brand new books! Never been touched!” Aunt Edie called out in my direction.

Her words brought my feet to a sudden halt. Looking over my shoulder, I saw Aunt Edie looking at me with a smile playing on the ends of her lips.

“You’re an evil, evil woman,” I commented before sighing. “I’ll be ready in fifteen minutes,” I told her before resuming my strides to my room, only this time I wasn’t going to go to bed, I was going to get ready. I mean, who can pass up an offer to go visit a new bookstore?!

***

“My feet hurt!” I complained as I lingered behind Aunt Edie and Rosia.

Currently, they were in some little clothing store that was wall to wall covered in designer clothing. Both the girls were having a field day as they scanned over each article of clothing while sipping on some Starbucks coffee. I on the other hand was not that entertained and had finished my drink before we even left the coffee shop.

I knew I was being a party pooper, but Aunt Edie refused to tell me where this ‘new’ bookstore was. Part of me now believed that it didn’t even exist and she just said that to get me to come ... well, looks like her trickery tricks worked…

“Chill your horses, we are almost done,” Rosia stated as she pulled a lemon yellow shirt off one of the racks. “This shirt, navy skinny jeans and lime green shoes. What do you think?” Rosia asked Aunt Edie.

Looking at the shirt and thinking for a minute, Aunt Edie nodded. “Yeah, I can see you wearing that. Pair it with some silver drop earrings and you got yourself a nice outfit.”

Rosia gave a small grin. “I was thinking the same thing!”

“Aunt Edie, can you please tell me where this bookstore is? I will meet you guys in an hour at Pepper’s Cafe, if you just tell me where the ding-dong store is!” I egged.

Aunt Edie looked at me with her vibrant green eyes and sighed. “You’re no fun.”

“Never said I was,” I fired back at her with a smirk.

Sighing, Aunt Edie set the pair of jeans she had in her hand down. “Exit this store, go down the block and take a right on 2nd Street. Then take another right, but this time on Main and it will be about five stores down. The bookstore is called ‘Waver Books’.”

Giving Aunt Edie a kiss on the cheek, I thanked her and dashed out of the store. Racing down the street, I decided to take an ally that cut over unto Main Street. Upon halfway down the trashed filled ally, I heard footsteps and whispered from behind me.

Looking over my shoulder I saw two people, a man and woman walking a few feet behind me. They seemed to be debating about something and I really couldn’t see their faces. All I noted was that they were dressed in jeans. The man had a green cotton shirt on, whereas the girl had on a maroon tank top that really didn’t fit her all that well. Something clicked in me and it was then that I noted they looked familiar, too familiar. Picking up my pace, I decided it might be better if I get out of this alley way as soon as possible because even though I couldn’t see their faces due to the fact that they were turned to look at one another, I knew I recognized them.

My feet were a mere few feet from escaping the alley way, when I felt a pair of hands land on my shoulder, stopping me from leaving.

I was about to yank out of the hands grip and run, but a white cloth was placed over my mouth.

Struggling, I started to lash out.

“Calm down, Skyla, Momma is here,” a familiar woman’s voice stated as my eyelids grew heavier and heavier.