Dress To Impress

Skyla’s P.O.V

“Rosia!” I shouted at the top of my lungs as I started to toss everything out of my wardrobe. I couldn’t find what I was looking for -- my black, knee length, dress with a deep V neck and white lace trim. It was a dress that I never wore before because, for obvious reasons, it wasn’t my kind of outfit. As you can probably guess, my Aunt Edie bought it for me a few months back. She gave it to me and said I would find a nice young, rich boy if I wore it. Easy to say that that dress went straight to the back of my wardrobe.

Yet, now, in the middle of trying to find out what the hell I was going to wear tonight, the dress popped in my mind.

Stumbling out of the bathroom, with three quarters of her hair curled and the other quarter in frizzed waves, she huffed in irritation. “Yes,” she snapped.

Putting my hands up in surrender, I chuckled. “Whoa, chill. I was just-” I stopped talking when Rosia stormed up to me.

She stopped mere inches from me before her eyes flickered to my hair. Reaching out she grabbed a strand of my hair. “You - You straightened your hair?!” She shrieked.

Biting my bottom lip, I felt slightly embarrassed that she noticed. “Uhhh, yeah. I decided I’d do something nice tonight ... you know ... for Sebastian...”

Rosia gasped and looked at me with wide-eyes. “You’re not -- you’re not planning on sleeping with him! Are you?”

I too went wide-eyed before violently shaking my head. “What?! No! I just ... I just want to look nice for Sebastian tonight. I think he might have a surprise for me ... I don’t know, it is silly talk. Yet, I just thought I’d look nice...” Taking a piece of my hair, I twirled with my index finger. “Does it look bad?! It was a mistake! Wasn’t it?!” I cried out before running over to my bed and flopping on it. “I’m insane! To think I could change my hair and look ... well, different. I bet I look silly.-”

“Oh, shut up! You look really good, Girlie. Now, what are you wearing?” Rosia asked with curious eyes.

“Ummm,” sitting up in the bed, I suppressed my low self-esteem. “I was going to wear that black dress that Aunt Edie gave me a few months ago...”

Looking at Rosia, I watched her slowly tighten her pink robe that she was wearing. A guilt ridden expression crept its way onto her face and she looked down at the wood floors.

“What happened to it?” I question, knowing that she had done something with it.

Glancing over at me, gradually, she undid her robe. I saw then that Rosia was wearing the dress. “I’m sorry,” she muttered. “You never wear it and I didn’t think you would ever. I kind burrowed it from you and planned on wearing it tonight. But, I have another dress I can wear. Let me go change out of this!” Turning around she rushed to the bathroom.

“No! Rosia, don’t be silly! That dress looks a thousand times better than it did on me. It will knock Daniel right off his feet,” I commented.

Twisting around, Rosia glared daggers at me. “I’m in no way trying to impress that low-life thing!”

“My ears must be failing me. I did not just hear Rosia talk bad about a prince!”

Rosia sighed, “I like him, yes. He is cute, yes. I just thought it would be easy to get him wrapped around my finger ... but now ... Now, I just want to kill him every chance I can get! At the hospital, when we were getting Daniel checked out for his injuries, l tried the ‘I-don’t-care-about-you’ attitude. Yet, that monkey brain caught on to me and even called me out on it! When we left the hospital I did every trick of the traded. Yet, that boy acts like all my tricks don’t faze him. I’ve given up. He is the bane of my existence as of this moment...!”

Holding in a laugh, I knew she was head over heels for him and was just denying it to me because Daniel didn’t feel the same. It was funny actually, to see Rosia’s actions when she was telling me she didn’t like Daniel. Her arms were flinging about in the air and her eyes were dancing around the room. I noted that she couldn’t bear to lie to me in the eye because she knew I would tell her words were leaking with falsehood right from the first glance into her eyes. But, I didn’t have to lock eyes with her to know that she was lying to me, her body language and emotion in what she was saying give it all away.

“Okay, well, whoever you are trying to impress at the party, will be following you like a lost puppy.”

Rosia’s eyes lit up at the notion before she composed herself and looked down at the dress. “I’m not trying to impress anyone. Boys are fools and I really want a break from all of them...” She lied.

I was going to call her out on it, but my eyes looked over at the alarm clock that was beside her. “Shit, Daniel will be here to pick us up in ten minutes!” I stated as I leaped off my bed.

“Daniel?! You didn’t tell me he was picking us up!” Rosia exclaimed.

“Oh, well he is!” I proclaimed before dashing over to my wardrobe.

“You seem to be getting around well. How is your leg?” Rosia asked me.

“Uhhh, good … Admittedly, I took a few pain pills. I didn’t want the pain to get in the way of tonight.”

“Well, be careful and don’t drink. Mixing your medicine with alcohol can be a bad combo.”

Shuffling through my wardrobe, I rolled my eyes even though I knew she couldn’t see me. “I know, Rosia ... Hey, Rosia?! Do you know where my mint green dress is? You know the one with the black belt around the waist?”

“Ummm, it is in the ... in the dirty clothes hamper,” she confessed from the bathroom.

Sighing, I stopped my wild hunt for the dress. “My white cotton sundress?”

“You see, about that ... I planned on replacing it ... honestly...” She said coming back out from the bathroom. This time she was curling her hair, while looking at me with a sorrow filled expression.

“I only owned threes dresses. Three!” I huffed before sitting down on the floor. “I have nothing to wear!” Placing my head in the palms of my hands, I grunted.

“You can wear this. It is the only dress I have that is clean ... I’ve gotta do some laundry...”

Looking forward I saw Rosia holding up a dress. It was so beautiful, I thought.

The dress was white, flowed down to the ground and in the chest area it was coated with some kind of glittery silver sparkles. It was strapless and just downright gorgeous.  

Standing up, I reached out and touched the dress. “I-I couldn’t! This looks so expensive!”

“It is, but my father bought it for me. White doesn’t suit me and I have burrowed your dresses more times than you’ll ever know. Least I could do! Plus, this is a special night for you! It would make me the happiest friend if you’d wear it."

“Well, if you put it that way-” I started to say, but stopped when I heard a knock at the door.

Rosia’s eyes bulged before she tossed the dress on the bed and ran to the bathroom. Closing the door, she yelled that she’d be ready in five minutes.

Rolling my eyes, I kicked the piles of clothes, which I’d chucked out of the wardrobe in the midst of trying to find my dresses that weren’t even in there in the end, to the other side of my bed.

Once I was at the door I unlocked it. Twisting the knob, I opened the door preparing to see Daniel but instead of him I saw, “Dean?”