The Rink - Part 3

I looked at the ice with fear coursing through my veins. I’d no earthly idea what compelled me to join my friends here ... then again, I guess the reason why we are here is because of me and my desire to skip school.  

“You’re doing good,” Griffin said as I put one foot on the ice. 

I stood still and felt the blade of my shoes slip slightly on the ice. Gripping Griffin for dear life, I allowed my eyes to bulge. “M-Maybe I should just sit in-in the stands...”

Griffin shook his head. “No, you are going to skate. Now, put your other foot on the ice.”

Violently shaking my head, I looked at him like he was half crazier than a pineapple. “No, no, no, no. I really don’t think-”

“Skyla! Come on! Lets race!” Piper egged on as she skated over to me. As she reached me she furrowed her eyebrows the moment she saw how I was clinging onto Griffin. “I thought you’ve skated before...”

“I-I-”

“You’re Piper, right?” Griffin asked her.

Piper smiled and nodded as she looked over at him, “yeah...”

“My brother, Winfred, is one of your brother’s friends. I was at your sister, Jenna’s christening.”

“Oh, yeah, I remember you. You’re the one that helped my brother and Winfred play the water balloon prank on my cousin, Frank.”

“Yes, but I have to say that it was all Max’s idea.”

“Funny, he said it was your fault.”

Griffin cracked a crooked smile, “sounds like Max-”

“Piper! Cute guy alert!” Rosia said as she rushed over to Piper, Griffin and I.

Rosia latched onto Piper and secretly pointed to the entrance of the room. They both squealed in a low tone before racing around the rink in hopes to catch the cute boy’s attention.

“You did it again,” I informed Griffin.

He glanced down at me. “Did what again?”

“You used that distracting thing you do on Piper. You know, you’d make a good con-artist. You’ve already got a freaky good skill at getting people off track of what they are thinking about.”

“Who is to say I’m not a con artist and you are my next con?” Griffin quizzed.

“Are you -- conning me?”

Griffin’s lip twitched up ever so slightly. “I’ll let you find that out on your own...”

“Skyla Ruth! There is a phone call for you at the front desk!” A voice boomed through what sounded like an intercom.

I rose an eyebrow because no one knew that I was here ... the people that did were skating around the rink. The blood in my body ran cold and I knew who exactly was calling me.

“Expecting a call?” Griffin asked me as he stopped moving.

It was then that I realized I was moving. Looking around I stopped and let out a huff as I noticed that Griffin and I had been gliding across the ice without me even realizing it. I didn’t do a happy dance that I skated without falling; instead I allowed my terrified emotions to take over. “I’ve got to go,” I said in a rushed tone. Letting go of Griffin, I tried to skate to the barrier that surrounded the rink. My fingers were mere centimeters from touching the wooden wall that surrounded the ice rink, but my feet slipped out from under me. With a hard land, I fell on the ice butt first.

Moaning in pain, I just laid there for a second before realizing that I needed to go answer that call.

“Whoa, Skyla, you okay?” Griffin inquired as he reached me.

“Fine, just leave me alone.” I bitterly spat at him as I sat up and ignored his hand that was stretched out to help me up.

Taking off the skates, I tried to ignore Griffin’s lingering figure. Once the skates were off my feet, I stood up and bit my bottom lip from opening and yelping from the pain I was in. I knew tomorrow my butt would be black and blue from the hard fall.

“Skyla, you okay?” Kelly asked as she came over to me.

I gave her a nod, “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Piper asked as she and Rosia skated over to me.

“Yeah, it was not a bad fall. Didn’t even hit my head, so no worries.”

All their eyes mirrored worry, but I just looked away.

The cool ice started to make my feet feel really cold and I could tell my socks were already wet from the ice. “I’m going to go answer that call. Be right back,” I spoke.

I could hear them all mutter words behind my back as I made my way to the exit of the rink. When my feet finally touched the carpeted ground, I smiled in happiness that I was finally off that ice that I thought was going to be the death of me.

Sighing, I followed the signs that pointed to the main office. I was a few feet from the door of the office when I heard someone cough from behind me. Turning around, I saw a man in a black and white tuxedo with black sunglasses. I swear the guy looked like he came out of a ‘Men in Black’ movie. “Are you Skyla Ruth?” The man asked me in a very motto tone voice.

“Who is asking?” I quizzed.

“Just answer the question,” he demanded.

“Uhhh, maybe ... yes ... why?”

Suddenly he advanced towards me. I froze in fear the second I saw that he had a needle in his right hand. “I need you to come with me. Willing or not,” he stated as he reached me.

Deciding that I didn't want a needle anywhere near my body, I inhaled. With all the courage I could muster, I spoke. “Where are you going to take me?”

“That is not something I’m at liberty to say,” he informed me.

“Who is your boss? Is it Jack? Are you one of Jack’s little followers?” I asked in outrage.

“Ma’am, I’m going to need you to lower your voice and I can’t tell you who my boss is. I wasn’t informed that I can enlighten you on who hired me. So, for your safety, my lips are sealed. Now, you need to either walk out of here calmly and collective or I will sedate you and drag you out of here like a sack of potatoes. I prefer the first choice, but it is all up to you...”

Weighing my very limited options, I knew that I couldn’t over power this man and run away. Nor could I scream for help because by the time my friends got here, I would be blacked out and being shoved in a car. An elongated sigh, from me, filled the air. “Lead the way...”