Airplanes

It had been a few days since I’ve seen Steve; part of me was really aching just to get a glance of him. But, I knew it would only make me cry because I really like him and to know I can’t have him breaks my heart. Luckily, I haven’t seen Woods. He was one person I hope never to see again.

“Skyla, do you know where my curling iron is?!” Rosia shouted from the bathroom.

I thought about it for a second. “Last time I saw it, I believe it was on the back of the toilet,” I stated, folding my blue sweat shirt and placing it in my suitcase.

Rosia and I were packing for the weekend trip to my aunts. I was extra excited to go because my aunt said that we were flying to her house on an airplane. I’d never flown before but I was looking forward to trying it out.

Rosia on the other hand looked a little nervous. She says that airplanes make her nauseous. I was slightly worried for her, but she said she will be fine and that I could make it up to her by going shopping with her at the mall near my aunt’s house. I agreed thinking it was a fair trade. 

“Found it!” She called out to me. “Why was it in the tub?” She murmured as she came in the room.

“I wouldn’t use it if it’s been in the tub,” I commented.

She just shrugged her shoulders.  “What time does our plane land?” She quizzed me. 

I sighed and thought about all that my aunt told me.  “My aunt said that we have to be at the airport at 3:00 p.m. and then the plane will take off at 3:30 p.m. We land in Chicago, Illinois at 7:00 p.m. But, we have to get on another plane. It doesn’t leave till 8:00 p.m. That last plane will take us to her city and we should be there by 9:00 p.m.” I informed Rosia who was forcing her suitcase close. “How much stuff do you have in that suitcase?” I asked her as she sat on top of it and started to zip it. 

“Oh, I don’t know, I just tossed things in here, I couldn't decide,” she stated and got off of her suitcase.

I shook my head with a smile. 

***

Currently, we were at the airport and waiting for our flight to arrive ... “Do you think they will have peanuts? I love airplane peanuts,” Rosia started to ramble as we got closer and closer to the time the plane was supposed to arrive. I knew she was only ranting because she was afraid to fly so I let her chat away. Soon, the plane did get here and they called our flight. I had to drag Rosia out of her seat and over to the woman that was checking our tickets so we could get on board. “Maybe I will take a cab to your aunt's home! Oh, wait I forgot I have a term paper that is due. I should just stay in the dorm and finish it.”

“No, you are going on this plane with me whether you like it or not,” I told her sternly as I showed the woman my ticket. Rosia un-reluctantly did the same. “As for your term paper, you never do it . Why start now?” I questioned as we walked down a grey like hall towards the plane.

“True, but still...” She said as we stepped on the airplane.

We were yet again stopped by another lady and she asked to see our tickets. 

“Your seat is up front,” the woman told me. “It will be the first seat up front.” I nodded and began to walk that way, knowing that Rosia was following me. I stopped however, walking when I heard loud noises from where the woman was that was directing people to their seats.

“No! I have a seat by hers!” I knew that was Rosia.

I turned around to see she was arguing with the woman. I walked back over to her. “What’s going on?” I asked. 

“She says I am sitting in the back!” Rosia shrieked. “But you told me we had seats next to each other."

“My aunt said we do. Lady there must be some mistake! We have seats next to each other."

The woman shook her head.

“No, your ticket is first class because it’s blue, her's is red, third class,” the woman said looking down and pointing at our tickets. 

“Well, can I just go sit next to her, or she come sit up here with me?” I questioned.

“No, it’s against the rules. I am sorry ladies but you have to take your seats that were assigned to you,” she proclaimed.

Rosia gave me a pitiful look that made me sigh.

“Do you just want to cash out our tickets and take a bus ride to my aunts?” I asked Rosia.

She sighed and shook her head. “No, this will be quicker,” her voice was low and full of uncertainty, but she gave me a fake smile. “See ya later,” Rosia said and then walked over to her seat.

I inhaled and exhaled loudly before walking to the front of the plane.

Right when I got to the front, I noticed it was spacious up here and every seat was full but one in the very first row. I walked towards the seat but stopped when I saw someone in a seat next to it. I froze, knowing who it was.