Steve's (Sebastian's) P.O.V - Saving Her

Of course that sewer rat of a father made his appearance half a second after my foot touched the dusty gravel. “Where are you going?” He voiced out to us.

“It stunk so bad inside that ... thing that I needed to get out of it,” I told him with a straight face.

“Why you insolent...!” Kane held his tongue and composed himself. “C’mere,” he demanded as he turned to go back inside.

“Excuse me?”

The guy turned back around dramatically slow. “Come in here a moment, will ya?”

I looked back at the two girls with hesitation.

“Ain’t no harm coming to ‘em. No one’s around for miles. I’m the only the one you gotta worry about. Right?”

He made perfect sense. I turned to Rosia for a couple minutes and we communicated with our eyes again, and I knew Rosia would fight tooth and nail if anything happened to Skyla.

Partially content that she was as safe as could be hoped in a situation like this, I turned and reluctantly followed the older man back into the doghouse.

“You give me that money and I’ll back out. Me and my wife will disappear out of Skyla’s life forever.” Kane said as he sat down heavily behind what I could only say was supposed to be a table.

“Why do I feel as if there’s a ’but’ to this situation?” I asked. I knew by the look on the guy’s face that I was right.

“That boy still wants Skyla.”

“What?”

“The man who my wife and I have a debt with, his son, Jack, still wants Skyla. Keeps saying something about how Skyla is his.”

My mouth settled into a hard line.

“As I said before, if you’re willing to give me that money, you can have my daughter, and we will never see her again. I promise.” The guy slid the keys to my car onto the table.

“You will have your money.” I pulled out a card holder from my back pocket and pulled a cream colored three by five inch plastic rectangle from it and slid it onto the table before taking my keys. “The second I leave here, I can put the money on that card. I only told you it would take to morning to see if you were going to bullshit around. Yet, I see now you are serious … If you have problems receiving the money, call me,” sliding him a piece of paper with my name and number on it, I nodded. “After you receive that money, I want you to burn both of those cards and disappear, for good. Understood?”

It almost seemed like the guy was mourning how he nodded solemnly and turned away. On a beat up couch, the woman who looked like Skyla was finally sitting up.

“Kane? What did you do with my girl?” She said, fighting sluggishness, but still weak as she pushed a blanket off of her. “Where’s my Sky?” Her voice was oddly panicked.

“This guy’s got her. She ain’t our problem anymore.” Kane went over to his wife and held her hand, both comforting and restricting. He looked at me and glared. “When in the world are you going to get lost? I gave you your keys, right?”

“No...” the woman muttered in a soft, faltering voice.

“Get lost, you pompous rich boy!” Kane yelled with a wild look in his eye.

I glanced at the woman again and saw her blue eye mirrored Skyla’s deep blue orbs. “My girl.” She was still struggling with that blanket, but I could see the helplessness.

“Out! Now!” Kane shouted at me and just like that, I left.

My mind kept replaying that look on the woman’s face as called the money in on the card and I drove the three of us back to Edie Waterling’s house to retrieve the girls’ luggage. Even as we headed to the airport, my mind couldn’t erase that look in that woman’s eye. The more I thought about it, the more I realized why I left without a word. Even if a brute of a man like Kane angered me, I realized the guy had had a sliver of the same look.

I tried pushing the confusion of my thoughts out of my head as I got into my jet and helped the girls in. I sat next to Skyla, and I knew she wanted to protest by the way she scooted as far away from me as she could.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked at her. “Is something wrong?” I questioned.

Skyla didn’t look at me or reply as she glanced down at her lap.

“She is tired,” Rosia answered as she buckled up.

Looking at the seat facing me opposite of mine, I saw Rosia give me a cheesy grin that clearly showed she was hiding something. My mouth opened to speak, but my personal flight attendant, Sara Grey, informed us to buckle up. I did as she said and glanced over to Skyla to find that she was already fastened in her seat and nodding off.

“Told ya she was tired,” Rosia breathed before reclining back in her chair. “Dude, your plane is awesome. My father has one, but I don’t go on it...” Rosia started to ramble about her father and it was then that I realized she was afraid of flying. Her non-stop talking was not one of the only signs, but she was also wringing her hands and looking around nervously.

I lifted my hand and signaled Sara. Strolling over to us, she asked what I needed. “Anything we have in the back that is strong enough to take the edge off,” I stated as I motioned towards Rosia who was in her own little panicked world.

Sarah nodded and went to the back of the jet. A few minutes later she came back and handed Rosia a clear plastic cup.

“What is this?” Rosia asked as she looked down at amber liquid.

“Something to take off the nerves,” I replied as Sara walked away.

The plane’s engine started up and Rosia shrugged her shoulder before taking a huge gulp of the drink.

Suddenly, a heavy feeling fell over my shoulder. Looking beside me, I saw that Skyla had fallen asleep and her head had leaned over on my shoulder. Sighing, I began to wonder why she had been giving me a cold shoulder today. If my memory served me right, I hadn’t done anything to anger her.

Without warning my phone went off in my front pocket. Reaching down, I pulled out my cell phone to find that it was an unknown number. Deciding to answer it, I pressed the green call button. “Hello?”

“I believe you have something of mine,” a raspy voice said on the other line.

Allowing confusion to leak in my voice, I spoke. “Who is this?”

“Jack, Jack Linen, and you have something of mine. I want it back.”

Giving a single chuckle, I thought this guy was something. “Well, Jack, come and get it, but before you get on your tricycle and go after Skyla, I think you should know who you are messing with.”

“Oh, yeah. Who?”

Turning my head, I looked down at Skyla to make sure she was asleep for I didn’t want her to know who I was, just yet. Seeing that her breath was steady and her eyes were closed, I decided to tell this guy just who he was dealing with. “Sebastian Crow.”

“And I should know who that is?”

“Yeah, you should because if you knew just exactly who I was then you would realize that I can crush you like a walnut.”

Jack gave a short laugh, “we’ll see about that.”

“Guess we will, Jack.”