Breakfast

Breakfast was slightly awkward. My mother ranted through the whole meal about how she wanted to redecorate the trailer, but dad said no. He insisted that the moment they get the money they were moving out of this Hellhole. “Like we could leave this town,” mother stated. “Too many strings in the town holding us down to leave. Plus, you know I really don’t think this is the best plan, Kane. We could get jobs, make a good honest living-”

“Linda, we have been through this,” dad sternly proclaimed.

Momma rolled her blue eyes and looked at me. “Tell me what has been going on in your life. How is school? How is your writing going?”

I all but dropped my fork when she asked me those questions. “School? Writing?”

“Yes, Dear, school, I know you have been attending that fancy academy a few states over. How are you classes? Are children nice?”

“Linda, stop this,” dad fired as he clutched his fork harder.

Ignoring him, mom looked at me for answers.

“Good. I make straight A’s.”

Mom gave a wide smile. “Oh, wonderful! I knew you would make something of yourself one day. So, tell me, how is the writing going?”

“Writing?”

“Yes, writing, I know you use to have litters of story journals around your room. I have to say some of them I thoroughly enjoyed.”

I gave a silent gulp, “you read them?”

Momma gave me an even wider smile. “Might have been messed and not done you right, but I kept a silent eye on you. Every night I would regret what I put you through-”

“Linda, I am done with my breakfast,” dad interrupted.

Mom pulled away from her train of thoughts and words and looked over at him. “Well, good for you. You know where the sink is," she told him before taking a sip of her water.

He gave a heavy glare before standing up quickly. He paid no heed as the wooden chair scrapped the wood floors as he got up. “You’re skating on thin ice, Deary,” he exclaimed before picking up his plate and marching to the kitchen.

Sticking her tongue out at his retreating figure, mom smiled.

I could help but lean back and take in this side I have never seen of my mom. It was overwhelming in a sense that she was sober and all cheery. Don’t know how many times I have prayed and begged her to change. Seems like the moment I am gone, however, they decided to sober up and get better.

Sinking in my seat, I wondered if their addiction problems stemmed from me.  After all, they were lopped up on drugs when I was here, yet when I happen to come back -- forcefully, might I add -- they are clean as a whistle.

“Are you okay?” My mother asked as she touched the top of my left hand with the palm of right hand.

Sliding my arms out of her gasp, I nodded. “Just fine,” I lied as my heart felt like it was shattering.

I had done this to them, I had made them drink and get high ... It was all my fault.

Should have left years ago, then they would have gotten sober and never have fallen in this debt they are carrying around now. Thinking about it for a second, I realized that I should not try and escape. This was my doing and allowing them to turn me over to Jack will, hopefully, clear my conscience.

“No, you’re not. What is it?” Momma asked as she looked at me with nothing but distress.

Standing up faster than my father did moments ago, I looked down at her. “I said nothing is wrong,” I bitterly spat at her with anger seeping in my words.

“Don’t talk to your mother like that,” I heard my dad say from behind me.

Twisting around, I glared at the man before me. “Don’t talk to my mom like that? Tell me, Father of mine, when was she ever my mother? Yes, she gave birth to me, but where was she when I had a fever and throwing up everything I tried to eat. Please, explain what she did when I fell off a slide and broke my leg.” His lips pursed together and I knew I was making him reach his boiling point, but I didn’t care, I continued. “The answer is simple, isn’t it? She was shooting up dope and taking shot after shot of alcohol.”

My father advanced forward, a notion I was familiar with.

“Gonna hit me? Like old times?” I fired at him.

“This is enough!” Mom shouted as she stood in between dad and I. Looking between both of us, she sighed. “Sky, go to your room. Kane, in the kitchen, now.”

“No, can do, Babe. Mr. Linen is expecting Skyla in one hour. She needs to get rebounded and we need to get going.” Dad stated while not breaking eye contact with me. 

Mother gave a deep rooted sigh and looked at my father. “She is not leaving this house. I refuse to allow you to just sell our daughter. It is wrong, Kane!”

“Like we are good people, Linda. Come on, we have done her more wrong than good since she was born! She hates you and me, no sense in trying to be the parent now! We have to do this, we have to be more selfish than ever and hand her over.”

“I will not stand for this!” Mom yelled as she turned her back to me and looked straight at my dad.

“If that is how it is, then I am truly sorry, Linda.”

Mom had no time to react as Father took out a white cloth from his front pocket and cover her mouth.

I was too shocked to move or react as she struggled for a good minute before falling limp in his arms.

Taking a small gulp, I watched him drag her body over to the green couch. Placing a crocheted blanket over her, he kissed her temple. “Sorry,” was all he said before standing back up and looking at me.

“What did ... what did you do to her?!” I inquired with a certain worry I’ve never truly ever held for my mother.

“Chloroform. She will be up in a few hours, fine as Dandy. Now, do I have to do the same thing to you or are you going to be a good girl?"

I glanced at my mother’s lifeless looking body and then back at my dad. “Do what you will,” I honestly spoke as I saw that there was no true way out of this. I was going to be Jack’s in a matter of sixty minutes...