Something Is Different

Skyla’s P.O.V

Opening my heavy eyelids, I looked around my surroundings to find that I was in a very familiar place. My old bedroom. Closing my eyes for a second, I tried to subdue the memory of spending endless nights in here crying and wishing my parents would sober up or that I just could leave this hellhole.

I didn’t really have to even move to know that my feet and hands were bound by rope. Yet, I did crack open my eyes to see how they had done it. Sighing, I saw the knots were simple, yet were going to be near impossible for me to get out of.

With all the energy I could muster, I pushed myself up in a sitting position and scooted my back to the headboard. Leaning my back on it, I glanced around the room looking for anything to help me in my attempt to escape.

They had cleaned out the room, I noted. My white wicker dressing table was no longer at the foot of my bed and the walls were bare. Sighing, I saw that the ten by ten room was empty besides the bed.

Listening, I heard the soft hum of a radio. Soon, my ears were filled with the sound of “It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me” by Billy Joel.

The headache that was splitting through my head begged for the music to be turned down as it got louder and louder. I knew that the tune meant my father was in a good mood but knowing this household if dad was in a good mood, mom was angry.

Resting my head back on the headboard, I suddenly became parched. Every single taste bud in my mouth was pleading for water. Smacking my mouth a few times, I tried to quench my thirst my producing more saliva. It was in vain and I only became thirstier in the end.

Over time, my eyelids started to feel weighed down and I entered a light sleep. I wasn’t fully unconscious because I was keeping out for any sound that hinted someone was headed my way.  

A long while passed before I heard the music die down and stay turned off.

Cracking open my tired eyes, I looked hard and steady at the eggshell colored door. As the seconds ticked by I started to hear the grandfather clock tick-tock away in the living room. The house was too silent, I thought as I became more alert.

The squeaky sounds of the floorboards outside my bedroom door made me perk up. Oxygen refused to enter or leave my lungs as I anticipated the very moment one of my parents would come stumbling in my room.

All too soon, in my opinion, the door did finally open.

A woman with long blonde hair walked in. Her blue eyes turned and gazed at me with a sly smile. I knew she was my mother, I mean how could I ever allow those eyes that hovered drunkenly over me for years to slip away from my mind. She and my father were two people I wished were out of my life, yet I never could seem to shake them. “Sky, how are you feeling?” She asked in a clear crisp voice.

I allowed an eyebrow to rise. I knew she was my mother, but her voice was not familiar. It held no slur, no hesitation or bitterness. It was almost as if she was sober. Mentally chuckling to myself I thought that there was no way my mother of all people could be sober. Yet, standing in front of me I saw how still in place she was.

“Linda, I told you not to come in here,” a husky voice said as the door creaked open some more. Standing in the threshold, I saw my father. He looked at me for no longer than a second before turning to look back at my mother.

“Oh, I had to see her! Look how much she has grown! We should run and not do this, y’know? We could start over with her! Be the parents-”

“Linda, you know the plan. If we don’t stick to it we will be digging our own grave plots. Now, come on, let’s get you some tea.”

I sat there shocked at my parents. If they weren’t standing right there in front of me, I don’t think I would be able to believe it but I think -- no, I know -- that they were sober... I analyzed them some more and there were no signs that they were high or drunk.

My mother looked over at me and gave a deep frown. “Untie her, Kane. Release her, she doesn’t need to be treated like a cattle ready for slaughter. She is our daughter, y’know? Giving her a good meal is the least we can do before the swap.”

My father looked at me with his intense grass-green eyes. “Linda-”

“I will hear none of your arguments, Kane. Go get me the scissors,” mother insisted as she walked over to my side.

Dad gave a loud huff before storming out of the room.

I glanced over at my mom who was trying to untie me without using the scissors. “He is a lot more enjoyable when he is sober. Wish you could stay around longer, Sky. I would love for you to stay…”

“What-” my voice cracked, but I ignored it and tried to continue talking. “What is to become of me?”

A worrisome looked cascaded on my mother’s face. She didn’t even look at me as she spoke. “If it be the death of me Skyla, nothing is to come of you. Your father has some insane plan to wipe our debt clean while using you as the key.” Looking at me, mom shed a single tear out of her right eye. “Y’know, he is a fool to think I will put you in harm’s way. Oh, Skyla, I have been an awful mom. I don’t know how, or if you could, ever forgive me. But I’ll be damned if I give him the chance to sell you to Mr. Linen...”

“Linen? Jack Linen?” I questioned with fear overriding my emotions.

Momma nodded as halted her attempts to untie me. “We have so much debt, Honey. Jack is willing to get rid of our debt and even pay us if we turn you over to him. Yet, you see, I can’t do it, y’know?” Mom spoke as she cried some more. Wiping away her tears she placed her index finger over her lips. Dropping her hand the moment my father walked in she gave a fake smile.

“Linda, please tell me you are not crying. Don’t get attached,” father spoke as he gave her a worried look.

“Oh, fiddle-dee-dee Kane. She is my daughter, our bond has been set since the day she was conceived, y’know? Now, untie her and lets get her fed.”

My father held no protest as he walked around and untied me. I expected him to look at me with hatred in his eyes, like he use to, but he wouldn’t even spare me a glance as he released me.

Once all the roped was off my hands and feet I just sat there, not really sure if this was all an illusion and they were about to started swaying or slurring words and hitting me. Yet they all walked out without a word and left the door wide open.

Not moving, I wondered what in the world had happened to my parents.

Sticking her head around the doorpost, my mom smile at me. “Well, come on, the food is getting cold.” With that said, her face disappeared from the doorframe.

I sat there for good minute before my stomach decided to growl in protest. Getting out of the bed, I ignored the slight dizziness I felt and trudged out of the room and towards the appetizing smell of bacon and eggs.