Chapter 17

After Itachi left Kagome put her hands on her hips and set to work. The first thing she did was the dishes piled in the sink, mountain high. It had taken her a good 30 minutes or so to wash and dry them. After that, she cleaned Naruto's room. She cleaned up the cards they had played, the empty milk cartons, ramen bowls that lay across the room, threw out the bad food in Naruto's kitchen and put the dirty clothing in a laundry basket.

As noon approached, Kagome sat at the small kitchen table with her head on the table and her hands stretched across it.

"I'm exhausted. I've never had to so much cleaning," Kagome mumbled into the table. She stood up and opened the fridge for something to eat. "Oh yeah... No food."

Kagome sighed and left the apartment. She had a little bit of money from her mission, just enough to buy food to last until she got a new mission. Hopefully.

After shopping and refilling the fridge and filling her stomach, she quickly started laundry. The detergent wasn't even open. It was basically brand new.

~Timeskip~

Naruto returned rather late that day. When he walked in he nearly fell over from shock. He had never seen his apartment so...clean. Kagome was still sitting at the table.

"Kagome...?" he put a hand on her shoulder.

"Naruto Uzumaki!" She snapped, jumping up. Naruto fell back on his rear as a result of her sudden movement.

"Y-y-y-yes?"

"How could you live in such a messy house and eat nothing but ramen!" she put her hands on her hips and glared down at him.

"I-I'm sorry!" he quickly said. Kagome sighed and kneeled down in front of him.

"For now on you won't be eating just ramen all day. I'll be cooking from now on." She smiled and offered a hand up. Naruto grinned and took her hand and allowed her to pull him to his feet.

"Thanks Kagome,"

"Yep. Also from now on, since I'm washing the clothes, you are responsible for putting your own clothes away."

Naruto's shoulders slumped, "Fine."

"Anyway. I'll be back soon. I need to go see Mikoto." Kagome opened the door and stopped. "Naruto, will you do me a quick favor while i'm gone?"

"Hmm?"

"I need you to get an extra copy of the house key. Just in case." she grinned. Naruto nodded as she closed the door and headed for the Uchiha compound.

The sun had, began to set. As she headed for Mikoto's house, she spotted Itachi and Shisui who looked rather serious. Itachi stopped and went to say something, but Itachi's little brother Sasuke appeared. Shisui flickered away. It was like a silent message was passed between the two.

"Big brother!" Sasuke ran up to Itachi not noticing Shisui. "Are you done with your mission? If you are, help me train!"

Itachi gave Sasuke a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, Sasuke. I have an urgent summon."

Sasuke puffed out his cheeks, but said nothing more.

"Itachi must be really busy with being an ANBU an all..." Kagome thought as she approached them.

"Hello Kagome," Itachi smiled at her.

"Evening boys." She smiled back.

"Sorry I can't stay long. I have to go," Kagome nodded and Itachi disappeared.

"Sasuke walk with me to your house," Sasuke grinned and nodded, taking her by the hand.

~At Sasuke's house~

"Mom! Kagome's here!" Sasuke called taking his shoes off and running to the kitchen. Kagome followed Sasuke into the kitchen and smiled at his mother.

"So nice to see you Kagome! What brings you here so late?" Mikoto asked.

"I was wondering if you happened to have a cookbook," Kagome stood beside her.

"Let me see..." Mikoto put a finger on her chin. "Ah yes! I do actually!" she opened up one of the cabinets and pulled out a thick yellow book. "Here." and she handed it to Kagome.

They made small talk as Mikoto cooked dinner. Kagome told her about how her day of cleaning was basically hell.

"Thank you Mikoto!" Kagome bowed. "I need to go. Naruto's waiting! Sorry I can't stay long!"

Kagome quickly slipped on her shoes and left.

On the way home, Kagome spotted Itachi walked through the streets lost in thought.

"Itachi?" she mumbled. He didn't look up, just walked past her. "Wonder what's wrong with him." Kagome shrugged and continued running home.

~(Itachi) Flashback~

Itachi met Shisui by a cliff with a waterfall.

"We played here a lot," Shisui stated, his back turned to Itachi.

"So you were back?" Itachi asked, referring to his mission.

"Yeah," he answered. "We finally chased the Hidden Mist away."

Itachi walked to stand beside his best friend. "Why did you want to see me?"

"I want to hear your honest opinion." Shisui said. "How serious do you think Fugaku is?"

"What do you mean by serious?"

Shisui turned to look at Itachi. "A coup D'etat."

"Dissatisfaction towards the village is growing among the Uchiha. If the village doesn't change, the Uchiha won't stand for it anymore," Itachi said.

"If the village changes, so will the Uchiha."

"But," Itachi continued, "if the Uchiha doesn't change, neither will the village. As long as the two sides distrust each other, things will only get worse."

"I want to clear up that suspicion." Shisui stated.

"You think you can?" Itachi questioned.

"I don't know, but I have to try..." Shisui said. "If the Uchiha attempts a coup d'etat, it will bode badly from both sides."

"I'm against the coup d'etat as well," Itachi commented. "But it will take something big to stop it."

"I know," he said. "But you shouldn't do anything."

"Why's that?"

"Some members on the Police Force are suspicious of you," Shisui told him. "And I've been ordered to spy on you."

~End Flashback~

"Oh crap! I left the book!" Kagome turned around and ran back to the Uchiha house. She didn't see any lights on. "I'll just sneak in, grab the book and leave. They won't even notice..."

Kagome masked her presence and quietly opened the door. As sly as a fox, she slipped through the house, heading for the kitchen. A voice made her freeze.

"What?!" it was Fugaku's voice. She leaned closer to the door to hear better. "Do you know what day tomorrow is? You don't understand your own position!"

"I'm setting out on a mission tomorrow." Kagome recognized the voice of Itachi.

"What kind of mission?" It was more of a demand than a question.

"I can't tell you," Itachi answered. "It's top secret."

"Itachi..." Fugaku began. "You also serve as the Uchiha Clan's pipeline to the village nerve center. You know that, don't you?"

"Yes." The way he said that made Kagome think he didn't want to be this pipeline.

"Bear that in mind. And come to tomorrow's assembly."

It was silent and Kagome heard one of them get up. She panicked, rushed into the kitchen and dove out of the front door without being spotted. She took a deep breath and ran back to naruto's house.

"That...was a close one."