Chapter 23

Today was the day. Kagome Higurashi was about to poison the council! Well, more like take part in. She paced back and forth in the living room of the apartment she shared with Naruto Uzumaki. It was early afternoon so he was at the academy.

A knock on the door pulled the priestess from her thoughts. She opened the door, allowing Itachi and Fugaku inside the small apartment.

"Is it ready?" Fugaku asked her. Kagome nodded and handed him a small packet.

"It's in the form of a powder. When it hits the liquid, it will dissolve." she explained. Fugaku nodded. "Since you will not be assisting me, I made this for you, Itachi." Kagome handed him a bracelet.

Itachi raised an eyebrow. "What for?"

"Well, I did some research and the council elders are very skeptical. Not to mention they would be able to sense you even if you hid your chakra. That's why I made the bracelet. It completely conceals you, chakra and aura included." Kagome grabbed his wrist and put the bracelet on him.

"I see. Thank you." Itachi let his hand drop to his side.

"I will be the only one able to detect you.," she said.

He nodded once more.

"Itachi. Take this," Fugaku handed him the powder. "The responsibility is yours. You are to slip this in the tea without being detected. As for myself. I am going to stop the police force and those involved with the coup d'etat."

Itachi nodded again. "I will not fail father. Let's go, Kagome."

Kagome took a deep breathe and left to go meet with the elders. As they walked, Kagome mentally prepared herself for the outcome of this. What if they got caught? She couldn't go to jail!

Her eye caught the pink ring that rested on her finger. She pulled her hand to her chest. "I will avenge you... Shisui." With that thought, all traces of doubt disappeared from her mind.

"This is where I leave you." Itachi turned to her. "After applying the substance, I will hide in the vents. Don't worry. I'll be there to save you if anything goes wrong." He reassured her. Quickly he pecked her cheek and disappeared.

Kagome smiled.

"Ms. Higurashi?" she turned to see an ANBU member standing before her.

"That's me." she said.

"I am here to escort you to the elders." he said. Kagome nodded and followed after him. She was led to a room where two elders sat.

"Kagome Higurashi. We have been made aware of your predicament." the elderly woman spoke. "I find it hard to believe that time travel and demons exist."

"How blunt," Kagome thought to herself resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

"So tell us," the man began. "How did you get here, assuming you belong in another place entirely."

"I jumped through the bone eater's well and somehow ended up here." She shrugged. She wasn't exactly sure how, or why, she was sent here. Lady Midoriko would not even reveal the reason.

"You mean that well way out there on the border line of the Land of Fire?" The man questioned her.

"Sure." Kagome agreed.

"Where are you staying now young lady?"

"Originally I was staying with The Uchiha's, Fugaku and Mikoto. Now I'm staying with Naruto Uzumaki." Kagome replied. The two of them tensed at the mention of the young boys name.

"Why would you stay with--" "A monster?" Kagome interrupted.

"How do you know of the Nine Tails that rests within that boy?"

"I'm a priestess. I can sense its aura." She leaned into the sofa. "The Nine Tails may be inside of Naruto, but the two have very different auras."

A knock sounded through the room and In walked an ANBU member with a silver tray. On the tray sat three cups of tea. Two of those cups had the poison in them.

He handed the two elders their tea and then Kagomes. She smiled. It was Itachi. A sense of relief washed over her. She brought the cup to her lips and took a small sip. She watched as the two elders did the same.

"I must leave now. Naruto will be getting home soon and I need to do some chores before he does. Thank you for your time." Kagome quickly finished her tea, bowed, and left the two of them.

As she walked the path, Itachi joined her. Neither said a word. A few minutes passed when she saw three ANBU rush past her and head in the direction she came from.

"Mission accomplished," Kagome whispered just loud enough for Itachi to hear.