Chapter 21

Later that evening, Fugaku returned along with Itachi.

"Hey Kagome! Someone is here for you!" Naruto called out to the priestess. Kagome stumbled into the room.

"Is there something I can help you with?" Kagome asked the two men.

"Yes, there is." Fugaku said. Kagome waited for him to say more when she finally understood.

"Hey Naruto, how about you go eat ramen at Ichiraku's tonight," Kagome ruffled the blonde boy's hair. Kagome handed him some money. He grinned and ran out the door.

She stood to her full height and looked back at the two. "So what do you need my help with?"

"Kagome, do you know how to make poisons?" Itachi asked.

"Yeah. Lady Kaeda taught me to make them. She also taught me how to identify poisons just in case." Kagome explained. The trio sat at the table, all with a cup of tea.

Itachi explained the plan he and his father had come up with. Kagome sat across from them, with her arms crossed.

"So you want me to poison the council?" Kagome asked.

Itachi nodded his head.

"You two must have known that I got a message from one of the council members," Kagome sighed.

"What do you mean?" Itachi asked.

"I was invited to a council meeting tomorrow evening." Kagome handed Itachi the letter that had been given to her. "We are going to discuss things over tea."

"How long do poisons take to make?" Fugaku asked.

"Hmm, I can prepare one tonight and by the time I get ready to go tomorrow. It'll be ready." Kagome told them.

"Do you need anything specific?" Itachi asked the priestess as she shuffled around the kitchen gathering many different herbs she would need to prepare. She had them hidden in one of the cabinets.

Kagome laid out all the ingredients before her and gave Itachi and Fugaku a small list of herbs she would need. Fugaku left to grab them, leaving Kagome and Itachi alone.

"Kagome," Itachi spoke.

"Hmm?" she sat across from him.

"Your sword, Tenseiga, it can bring the dead back to life... Right?" he asked, hope shining in his eyes.

Kagome frowned and looked down at the table. "Yes. But Tenseiga needs a body... You said Shisui fell into the Naka river... By now, his body is long gone.."

Itachi fell silent.

"I'm sorry..." Kagome choked. She held back a sob. Itachi stood up silently, walked around the table and wrapped his arms around Kagome.

"It's okay..." he whispered. "Shisui loved you, Kagome."

"H-he did," Kagome looked up at Itachi and wiped a few tears from her eyes.

"More than anything," he smiled softly at her. "He didn't make a move... Probably because he knew what I felt before I did... " He mumbled the last part to himself.

"What was that?" Kagome asked.

"Nothing," he reassured.

"If you say so," Kagome shrugged.

"Kagome," Itachi cleared his throat. "I..."

Itachi didn't get to finish his sentence, Fugaku walked in with the herbs in a small basket. He walked over to Kagome and handed them to her.

"Thanks!" Kagome took the small basket from his hands and got to work.

Itachi let out a sigh and slumped his shoulders slightly. His father gave him a suspicious glance, but said nothing as the two watched Kagome work. After about 10 minutes, Kagome set the liquid aside.

"There, now we wait." she turned back towards them, hands on her hips, and a grin on her face. "Itachi weren't you about to say something earlier?"

Itachi felt a slight blush rise to his cheeks. "I, um, no. It doesn't matter." he gave her a reassuring smile. Fugaku smiled knowingly at his eldest son.

"It appears that my son has fallen for Kagome," Fugaku felt a bit of mischief stirring inside him