Chapter 24

News of the two elder's death quickly spread throughout the village. A funeral was held the next day. Kagome felt horrible for poisoning them. She reminded herself it was for a good cause. If they hadn't been killed, who knows what would have happened. 

Kagome stood with the Uchihas as the Hokage spoke. Naruto stood beside her. Kagomes hand wrapped around his. Danzo stood not far from her. He watched the priestess from where he stood. Danzo suspected Kagome had something to do with it, for her eyes held no sympathy. He couldn't prove anything since there was no evidence she had done it. 

"That brat," Danzo glared at her before returning his attention back to the funeral. He came to the conclusion he would have to eliminate that brat himself.

Kagome kept her gaze to the ground. Even though she participated in their murder she still felt horrible that they died. A hand gripped her free one and gave it a small squeeze. Kagome looked up at Itachi who gave her a reassuring smile. She returned the smile and intertwined their fingers together. 

A few days passed. Kagome spent a lot of time with the Uchihas. Naruto went with her to play with Sasuke. In that short time her and Itachi had grown closer together. Sasuke looked up to Kagome as his big sister. She was like his role model. 

Kagome smiled as she lay her head on Itachis shoulder. The two watched as Naruto and Sasuke chased each other around the garden. Mikoto leaned against the door frame. She smiled at the two teenagers who watched the children. If she hadn't known better she would have thought they were a family. 

Kagome felt completely at ease when Itachi was around. Her stomach fluttered with butterflies and her heart pounded in her chest. Yes, she did have feelings for Shisui, but her feelings for Itachi were stronger. She glanced at the ring on her finger. "I think he'd approve." She finally admitted to herself that she had fallen for Itachi. She briefly wondered how Inuyasha and the others would react. Itachi was handsome. He wasn't handsome like Sesshomaru, but Sesshomaru was a demon. Most demons were beautiful. Hell, even Naraku was handsome. 

Itachi glanced at the woman who was currently leaning against his shoulder. A soft smile graced his lips. She was perfect: Beautiful, strong, amazing. He was completely smitten with her. His hand found hers. They intertwined their fingers together as if they had done it a million times. 

All thoughts of Inuyasha and the feudal era disappeared as Itachi gave her hand a light squeeze. "Kagome." he whispered low enough for only her to hear. 

"Hmm?" she looked up at the handsome Uchiha.

He leaned over and whispered something to her. Her face turned 50 shades of red, her heart pounded in her chest as she stared at him with large brown eyes.

Finally. After what seemed like eternity...

"Yes..." she breathed.