~Final Chapter~

The constant attacks were really starting to wear her down. Kagome Higurashi was in a world of trouble. Since these men were human she couldn't purify them. She couldn't use Tenseiga without affecting those around her. All she could do was run and do her best to outsmart those damn ANBU ninja assassins that Danzo had sent after her.

He was desperate to rid of her. So desperate that they began attacking her in her sleep. Her powers were beginning to weaken from having to keep a barrier up around the apartment building. Worst of all, the assassins were quite aware of her weary state. Dark bags appeared underneath her eyes. She often swayed back and forth while she stood there.

It was too dangerous for Naruto to anywhere near her, so she sent him to Mikotos. She explained to Mikoto and Fugaku what was going on and they gladly allowed Naruto stay until Itachi's return.

"Just... One... More... Day..." Kagome hid behind of the trees. Sure, she could last until Itachi returned, but he would also be exhausted from his mission and wouldn't be able to do much the day he returned. She let out a bitter laugh. "I'm not going to survive... Am I?" she mumbled, pulling her knees to her chest. Her eyes closed.

"Kagome," Midorikos voice whispered inside her head.

"What is it?" she asked the priestess.

"Have you given up?"

"What's the point lady Midoriko? Either way I'm going to be killed. There is no way to escape death." Kagome sighed.

"You're right. But your time has yet to come. There is one last thing I can teach you to do as a last resort. It can only be used once. You will have to learn quickly."

And so for the next hour Kagome was taught a trick that will allow her to cheat death, but only once.

As night approached, Kagome paced back and forth. Itachi would be home in less than 24 hours. She had predicted how she would meet her end. She made sure she saved her miko energy.

Instead of throwing up a barrier, Kagome equipped herself with several throwing knives provided by Naruto and the Uchiha family.

So she ran and defended herself as long as possible. She was thankful for all the running away she had to do in the Feudal Era. Without the endless amount of stamina and energy she possessed, she would have died long ago.

Finally, after running and hiding for what seemed like eternity, the sun began to peek over the horizon. Itachi was probably almost home. Kagome dived into an alleyway and headed for the gate where she would meet her lover and, ultimately, her end.

"I have had a good fulfilling life." Kagome smiled as memories of her past came flooding back to her. Those bitter sweet memories nearly brought tears to her eyes.

As she came into view of the gate, her eyes landed on none other than Itachi. He had just stepped inside the village. Kagome quickly skidded to a halt. His eyes met her tired ones.

Kagome quickly approached him.

"Kagome? What are you doing up so early in the morning?" he asked her.

"Nothing." She lied.

He raised an eyebrow. Her appearance troubled him the most. Dark bags were present beneath her eyes and her hair was just a disaster. She swayed, but only slightly, on her feet. "What happened to you while I was gone?"

Kagome could sense the ANBU men approaching her quickly. Her eyes dropped to the ground. She bit her lip to keep from sobbing aloud. However, she couldn't keep the tears at bay any longer. One after another, they hit the ground.

"Kagome? What's wrong." Itachi lifted her head up so he could stare at her. His eyes were filled with nothing but worry.

"Itachi I--"

"Big Brother!" The oh so familiar voice of Sasuke rang.

"Sasuke... No," Kagome whispered. Just as Itachi looked up to see Sasuke's smiling face, he felt Kagome tense and quickly return his attention to her.

Itachi's eyes widened as he saw the blood begin to drip from the corner of her mouth. Sasuke let out a cry. Itachi looked down to see the tip of a sword sticking out from Kagomes stomach, nearly touching his own.

"K-kagome..." he whispered. Her legs gave out from beneath her as she slumped to the ground, with Itachi holding onto her. The sword was pulled from Kagome. "What is the meaning of this!?" Itachi growled glaring heatedly at the man holding the sword that dripped with Kagomes blood.

He said nothing as he vanished. Itachi was ready to go after her, but a small, weak hand gripped his wrist. "Stay with me."

"Kagome. Can't you heal yourself?" he asked her as he took her hands in his.

"No. He stabbed a vital organ... Not even I... Can heal." she whispered. "They've been tailing me... Since you... Left."

Sasuke stood there frozen in his spot. He could not believe what he had just witnessed. The woman his brother loved and the woman he looked up to more than anything, other than his brother of course, was killed right before his eyes.

"Who did this to you...?"

Kagome didn't answer him. She stared at Itachi as tears trailed down the side her face. His hand gently held her own hand. She used her other hand to wipe the tears threatening to spill from his face. She smiled and guided him towards her. He leaned down and placed his lips on her dying ones.

Kagomes free hand wandered to the shikon shard resting around his neck. Her hands trembled as she glowed a light pink color.

Itachi pulled away from her.

"I'll always be here, by your side, even if you can't see me*..." Kagome whispered before pulling him back down and allowed him to take the last of her breath.

Itachi lifted the now dead Kagome in his arms. He headed home.

"Come on Sasuke," he whispered as he passed his brother.

The flowers bloom, then wither...

The stars shine and one day become extinct...

This earth, the sun, the galaxies and even the big universe

Someday will be destroyed...

Compared with that, the human life is only a blink,

Just a little time...

In that short time, the people are born, laugh, cry, fight,

Are injured, feel joy, sadness, hate someone, love someone.

All in just a moment.

And then, are embraced by the eternal sleep called death. ** (Quote from Saint Seya)

But only for a little while will the priestess be kept in the hands of death. Only for a little while will be kept in the comforts of eternal sleep.

"I'll come back to you..."

"I promise..."

"Itachi... Sasuke..."

~End~

A/N:
** That quote I actually borrow from one of Krisantyl (On DeviantArt) from one of her Jason The Toymaker creepypasta pictures It's not the full quote, only the beginning.