Chapter 26

The next few days passed by agonizingly slow for Kagome. Whenever Naruto went to the academy, she helped Mikoto with the house. It was this day when things began to go down hill. Just when Kagome thought everything was perfect, it all came crashing down.

Kagome was on her way back to Mikotos house when Tenseiga gave her a warning. Instantly she threw up a barrier just as a masked ninja slammed into it. The barrier knocked him back a few feet. Kagome glared at the masked ninja. He stood up and retreated

Several times this happened. Finally, after the fifth attempt, she threw a barrier around one of them and stood on the outside with her arms crossed over her chest. "Mind telling me what the hell you think you're doing?" she snapped.

The man said nothing.

"I can keep you in there all day, ya know." She said.

Still not a word. 

"Fine." Kagome made herself comfortable and sat down right where she was standing. It was fifteen minutes later when she finally got fed up with the silence. She stood back on her feet and drew Tenseiga. The masked man tensed.

Kagome let out a laugh. "Since I have you in such a small space and you're unable to escape my barrier, one swipe with Tenseiga and off to the netherworld you go. No amount of jutsus or anything will stop the Mediou Zangetsuha. Two options: One, you tell me why you are attacking me or two, take the one way ticket straight to the netherworld. And that's a promise."

"Ha!" he said. "As if such a technique exists."

Kagome's eyebrow shot up. "Oh?" she made sure no one was around before raising the sword high into the air. It pulsed in her hand as she swiped it downward, releasing none other than the devastating Meido Zangetsuha. 

"Impossible..." he whispered as he stared at the hole. The shift in his aura indicated that he was indeed afraid.  

"Now." Kagome sheathed her sword. "Spill and I will let you live."

Not wanting to get sent to the netherworld, he spoke. "We of the Root have been assigned to assassinate Kagome Higurashi, you." 

"Root..." Kagome tapped her foot against the ground. "Where have I heard that before." she snapped her fingers. "Right! I remember the Hokage told me Danzo... Was... Head of... Root..." Her smile fell. 

"That bastard!" she paced back and forth in front of the barrier as she ran her fingers angrily through her raven locks. "Just when I thought I was finally going to be happy." She stopped before the masked man who was watching her pace. "As promised, I will let you live." 

She dropped the barrier and quickly grabbed the collar of the mans shirt and pulled him so she was up close and personal. "You let Danzo know that his attempts will only fail. I don't plan on dying, especially by his hands. The next man that attempts to take my life, I will not hesitate to send his ass straight to the netherworlds." she released him before storming away.

He disappeared without another word.

Lucky for her, the attacks did stop... But only momentarily. She managed to make it back to the house where she plopped down on the couch.

"What took so long Kagome?" Mikoto asked her.

"Oh, nothing. Just a bunch of assassins trying to kill me is all," she mumbled. 

"What? Why?" 

"Good question."

Kagome was exhausted. She used up a lot of her energy to throw up those barriers. "At this rate, they might actually succeed. I won't have the energy to keep defending myself..." Kagome put her head in her hands. 

"But why is Danzo trying to kill me?"

~With Danzo~

"That damn girl." Danzo hissed. She was proving more of a challenge than he had first thought.

"Danzo Sir." The masked man kneeling before him grabbed Danzo's attention.

"What is it?" he snapped.

"It would appear her skills come from the sword she carries with her." he said.

A pregnant pause.

"Take the sword from her. Then eliminate the pest." he ordered. "Make sure she is dead before Itachi returns from his mission. You have two days."

"Right!" he disappeared.

"Kagome, you have interfered greatly with my plans..."