Chapter 2

Kari's POV:

2 months later:

"Get your backpack and pencils Evie. I don't want you to be late for the bus!" I shout through our little apartment. I hear giggling from my little sister as she suddenly appears in the doorway of her room and smiles at me.

"You sound just like mom, Kari! Don't worry, I'm a big girl now too. I can take care of myself, just like you!" She states proudly. I stand up straight then raise an eyebrow at her.

"Oh yeah? So you think you can take care of yourself huh?" I say teasingly to her. She nods her head and begins walking toward the front door. I smile wickedly.

"You might want to change out of your pajamas..." She freezes in her tracks, looks down at her clothes, and hurries back into her room without looking in my direction. She walks back out of her room wearing a pair of jean Capri and a blue and purple flowery t-shirt. She looks at me then sticks out her tongue and walks through the door. This is why I love kids, they are so cute and unpredictable!

I grab the dishes from this mornings breakfast and try to tidy the apartment up as best I can. I take my time and decide to clean up Evie's room as well. I check my watch when I'm done. Shit! It's eight am! I knew I was going to be late today, but I didn't think I would be this late! I run into my room and grab my school uniform. Luckily, in my last school I got all A's so the private school here accepted me with a full scholarship. If only they knew how much it helps that I don't have to pay for my schooling. Our uniforms are cute; in a religious girl kind of way. It's not really my style, but everyone has to wear them.

It's finally my first day going to school. Ever since we arrived in this new town, all I was worried about was getting a place to stay, getting a job, and getting Evelyn back into school. I figured I could just get into a high school as soon as I had the rest settled. Since I have a job as a waitress at a small diner in town and we have this apartment; I feel that it is time for me to head back to school.

I sigh as I look into the mirror. If only I had time to do my hair and makeup. I would look so much better. My violet eyes look pale and my mane of brown hair looks dull. I decide to just throw it up in a messy bun and move on with my life. There are plenty of things more important than looks. Right?

I grab my backpack and slip it over one of my shoulders as I head out into the busy streets of down town New Haven. I walk toward the bus stop and wait for the bus to arrive. While I wait, I lean against the huge sign with the picture of the bus at the top. It only takes about three minutes before I see the bus's silhouette back behind a couple of cars. I smile to myself; glad that it didn't take long for the bus to arrive. I stand straight up and lean off of the post when the bus stops in front of me. Right as I place one foot onto the stairs to get on, a voice comes from in front of me.

"Where is it you would like to go little lady?"

I look up to see an old man who is driving the bus stare at me expectantly. So I open my mouth and answer the question, "Grendiles Academy please."

He smiles and nods his head at me. I place my quarter in the machine and he shuts the doors. Slowly I walk to the back of the bus and realize something weird, there's no one on the bus. That can't be right? This town has so many people. I shrug it off anyway.. I proceed to walk to the back of the bus, and sit near the emergency exit; just in case something goes wrong.

The bus ride goes smoothly. I had nothing to worry about. I have no idea why I freaked out about the bus driver! He is a really sweet man. He drops me off at the front entrance of the school and I stare at it amazed, this place is beautiful. The grass looks full and perfect, the school building itself is huge and made of old fashioned brick. Even though it looks old it also looks modern at the same time.