Chapter 4

Bryce's POV:

"Yeah you're awesome alright... But that offer sounds really nice, if you don't mind I would actually appreciate that." Kari says to us. She steps out the door and adds, "Thanks guys I will see you tomorrow!" She waves, then shuts the door. After we wave back, Trent drives away.

I squeeze my way up into the passenger seat next to Trent. "Dude, I don't know what it is but I'm strangely attracted to her. This has never happened before. I think she might be my mate." I admit honestly to Trent. I see him tense up and grab onto the wheel with force. I give him a strange look.

"She can't be your mate Bryce." He says angrily. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Why not?" I answer with a question furiously. My wolf growls, he can sense the pull toward Kari too. She has to be my mate, she probably hasn't shifted yet and that's why the feelings aren't that strong.

"She's mine. Stay away from her Bryce." He barks with authority.

"What, just because your Alpha now you think that you can boss me around and not allow me to be with my mate?" I spit back angrily.

"Bryce you have to listen to me. Don't make me use my Alpha tone. You're going to regret it." He threatens. What is going on with him right now? "Plus if she was your mate, she would feel the pull too. If that were the case then she wouldn't have accepted that date with me on Saturday." He adds proudly.

Anger pumps through my body, fueling my wolf with hatred and rage. He asked her on a date? I let out a vicious growl. Trent flinches slightly but quickly composes himself.

"You will not go on a date with her Trent, she is mine."

I can feel my wolf taking over, he wants to rip Trent to shreds. He smirks. My wolf struggles to take over. He wants to snap Trent's neck, how dare he try to take my mate away from me.

"I'm sorry, who's the one who gives orders in this pack? Oh that's right. Me. Kari is mine, whether you like it or not." He says then turns to me frowning with an evil gleam in his eyes. "Stay away from her!" He shouts in full Alpha tone. My wolf shrinks down.

I'm surprised by how fast he submits to his alpha. Fear trembles through my bones at his voice. Even though I'm Beta I have no powers against his freaking alpha tone. This sucks. I growl, then lean back into my seat like an angry child. Looking out the window, I wait for us to arrive back at the pack house.

When we finally get back at the house I hop out of the car and slam the door shut. I storm through the halls and straight up to my room without speaking to anyone as I pass. I quickly lock the door.

Rage begins to build in my system again. Out of all people, why does he have to pick my freaking mate? I should have accepted my dad's offer to be Alpha. Even though he is my adopted father and Trent is his real son, he gave me a chance to be the Alpha. I declined it, knowing that being Beta would give me a high position but with much less responsibility. I'm regretting it completely now.

I decide to not even bother with my homework. I mean seriously, there is no way I can focus with all of this going on. My wolf is completely conflicted. He wants to do one thing, but he is being forced to do the exact opposite. My brain is scrambled, thoughts flying all over the place. I quickly shower and get into bed, ignoring the fact that it is only six o'clock. I close my eyes and push away all the thoughts, allowing the darkness to take over.

---

Kari's POV:

"Mom" I say and squint my eyes trying to see. "Is that really you?" I ask.

"It's me honey, come here I have something to tell you." she responds. I walk over to the figure, as I approach I see that it really is my mom. I run up to her and hug her.