Chapter 12

Kari's POV:

I hear a door creaking. I turn my head to where the noise came from and slowly open my eyes. When I see my surroundings I sigh. So it wasn't a dream, Trent and his dad really did capture me. I quickly glance to the door and see it open all the way to reveal... Bryce?

He walks into the room. "Bryce?" I whisper in surprise. So my real mate was a part of it to. He looks down at me with no expression on his face. Just then, Trent walks into the room.

"Surprise Kari!" I look at him in utter shock. He puts on a fake sad face, "Aw poor little Kari didn't believe my father when he said your mate really didn't care?" I look back at Bryce with sad eyes. He just looks away. I feel tears creep up into my eye, but I don't allow them to fall.

I look down and say, "What is it exactly you guys are going to do to me?" I hear Trent laugh and walk over to the bed.

"Well you see, it turns out you have this amazing ability to heal things just like your mother, the ability is always passed to the first child and even sometimes the other children." He sits down onto the bed. I crawl more toward the corner to stay away from him. He snickers. "There's something special about your blood, and when given to someone in high dosages, it can do amazing things." I look at him in shock. Then he sighs, "You see this wouldn't have been that big of a problem if it was something small, but unfortunately my mom's dying of a disease similar to cancer." My heart rate speeds up. Oh my god their mom really is dying. I glance over to see if Bryce is okay, his face shows a pained expression. As much as it makes me sad that he doesn't care for me, I want him to be happy. "You're the only way to save her."

"I see." I say. They both look at me in silence. "So all I have to do is give her some of my blood?" I see a flash of something in Bryce's eyes, but I can't place it... Pain maybe? Then I look at a smirking Trent.

He laughs, "Oh no Kari, we will be taking almost all your blood. Now whether you survive or not is the real question." I look at him in shock. How can he do this?

"Trent I know you love your mom but that's going to kill me." I shout at him. He looks at me furiously with anger in his eyes.

"You think I care about a worthless rogue like yourself? You mean nothing to me Kari, you mean nothing to anyone." I feel my heart breaking and tears about to spill over. I fight the urge to cry.

"You have no right to do this to me! You care about no one but yourself." I shout at him furiously. "Did you even ask your mom if she was okay with this? You realize if she found out what you were doing she would think you're the lowest of the low." Anger fills his eyes and he grabs my hair and holds my head so I can't move. He reaches his arm back to punch me in the face I try to cower but his hold on my head won't let me. I shut my eyes and wait for the blow, but it never comes. I glance up and see Bryce holding back Trent's hand.

"Trent, dad said not to hurt her. It could easily harm the chances of us being able to save mom." Bryce says. I watch as Trent tried to calm his anger. He forcefully releases my hair and I whimper.

"Whatever." Trent mumbles. He abruptly stands and walks out of the room, but Bryce remains. He runs a hand through his hair and I hug my legs on the bed.

"I'm going to go get your lunch..." He says and slowly walks out of the room, closing and locking the door behind him. I need to think of a way to stop them from doing this. Obviously I'm weaker than all of them so there's no point in me using force...

Maybe if I don't eat then they can't use my blood to heal their mom, my blood won't be healthy enough. A few minutes later Bryce walks in with a glass of lemonade and a grilled cheese sandwich. I watch him place it on the table next to the bed, then he walks toward the wall and sits down on the floor. "You can eat now you know." He says.

I look down. "I'm not hungry" I say. Just then my tummy grumbles.

"You sound pretty hungry to me." I roll my eyes at him. I honestly just want to go get Evie and get the hell away from this place. I don't want to be here.

"I'm not going to eat." I say harshly. He looks up into my hurt eyes. He stands up quickly and walks over to my bed. I look up at him. He pushes me down onto the bed forcefully and puts his hands on my neck, as if he's strangling me. But he puts no pressure, so I can breath. What the hell?

"Kari." He whispers. "Listen, act like you're struggling and don't talk. I only have a few moments to talk to you, they have this on camera right now." I grab his wrist and do as he told me. I act like I'm struggling to get out of his grasp. "I'm going to get you out of here, I just need some time. I'm coming up with a plan and I'm going to get Evie to safety. She is okay right now, but you never know. Trust me Kari everything will be alrig-" he is cut off by the door slamming open. Mr. Frost walks up to Bryce and rips him off of me. I pretend to gasp for air. After that I take deep breaths and hold onto my throat.

"Bryce what the hell was that? I told you not to hurt her, it could jeopardize everything!" He yells at his son. I shrink down a little from the authority in his voice but Bryce doesn't even flinch.

"The damn bitch said she won't eat! That could ruin everything." My wolf cries at the fact that Bryce called us a bitch, but I know he doesn't mean it now. So it's all a lie, he is trying to save me. Just then Mr. Frost looks at me with anger in his eyes.

"You better eat. Not eating won't stop us from killing you." He shouts. I shrink down even more and nod at him. He smirks a puts his arm on his son's shoulder. "Alright, let's give the girl some time to recuperate." Bryce nods then glares in my direction. I give him a sad look even though I now know he doesn't mean it. They head out of the room.

Well I guess I better eat. I slowly take a bite of the grille cheese. Mmm, it's so good and it melts in my mouth. I finish it in a matter of minutes and move onto the lemonade. It tastes a little strange at first but I get over it and drink the whole thing. I crawl to the top of the bed and curl up.

I'm glad to know he actually cares about me. I thought he was really going to us me to save his mom. I should have known better, it's Bryce, my mate, the guy who held me in his arms as I cried at the library. I slowly drift off into a light sleep.

---

I wake up to the sound of the door opening again. I groan and turn to see Bryce standing there covered in blood. Holy shit! I jump up to go see him but stop, remembering that he has a plan and I don't want to ruin it. He looks at me with wide eyes. "Kari." He says. "My parents are dead."