Chapter 17

Kari's POV:

I reach my arms out and pull the covers closer to my body. I frown. Why am I in bed by myself right now? No wonder why I was so chilly. I quickly open my eyes to see a single line of light creeping into the room from the window. I stand up and walk over to the blinds and open them, exposing more light into the room. Once my eyes adjust to the light I see the beginning of a beautiful day. The sun is barley poking out from beneath the ground, early birds are chirping, and there's not a cloud in the sky. I smile to myself.

Life is so beautiful. When you stop and observe it, you can see the beauty of it. Looking at the woods I realize that I haven't been in wolf form since my change, my wolf is itching to go out and run her paws over the ground. I step away from the window letting the blinds fall as I go, leaving me in the darkness. I skip over to my closet and turn the light on. I grab a big t-shirt and gym shorts and put them on over my underwear and bra.

When I'm done I turn off the light and head down stairs. Well it is Saturday and I don't have school so I can basically do whatever I want. Obviously I want to go for a run, but where is Bryce? I want him to come too...

I walk into the kitchen to grab a granola bar. When I get in I see a bunch of pack member talking and eating their breakfast at the table, suddenly I get nervous. It's not like I know these people that well, what if they don't like me... Maybe I should just try going unnoticed. I quietly walk over to the cabinet. I reach up to grab a bar.

"Hey it's Kari!" A guy's voice yells. I stiffen but grab my bar acting like I'm not affected. I turn around and see Jamie, Henry, and Pauly walking over to me. Oh this might be weird, the last time I talked to them they thought I was Trent's mate.

"Hey guys." I say to them with a gentle smile. They smile back but Jamie reaches out and ruffles my hair.

"So little one, how come you fooled us all into believing you were Trent's mate?" Jamie says. My face flushes and I look down at my hands.

"Well you see I didn't-" Suddenly I'm cut off from a person walking in behind me.

"She didn't try to fool you guys." The familiar voice says. "I fooled her." I turn around and lock eyes with Trent. My heart beat races as I remember our last meeting. I grip my hand tighter on the granola bar nervously. Jamie must have noticed my nervous state because he steps in front of me, blocking Trent from my view.

"We know, we were just teasing her. Didn't Bryce give you strict order to stay away from Kari?" Jamie asks Trent sternly. Trent raises an eyebrow at him.

"Being an Alpha before gives me some perks. I don't have to listen to a thing Bryce tells me." He glances at me and I cower behind Jamie a little more. "I can do whatever I want." I hear him step away and walk out of the kitchen. My body visibly relaxes as I let out a quick breath. I know I can't keep hiding from him, but honestly he is creeping me out now. After what he did I don't think I could ever trust him again. All three boys look at me and Jamie talks first.

"Are you okay Kari? You know we were just messing around with you earlier, we talked to Bryce already so we know what really happened." He says and places a hand on my shoulder. I smile up at him.

"I'm fine don't worry about me." I take his hand off my shoulder and walk toward Bryce's office. I turn around real fast to say goodbye, "Thanks for being there for me though!" I wave and leave the kitchen.

I walk through the hallways trying to figure out which room has my mate hidden behind it's door. I decide on a door that seems to be placed in an area where an office should be. I shyly knock on the door. "Who is it?" I hear Macy call from the other side. So this really is the office then!