Chapter 5

Bryce's POV:

There is no way I'm going to school today. I need to take the day for myself and just calm my wolf. Sure I want to go to school to see Kari, but I can't deal with the fact that Trent won't let me be near her, and there's nothing I can do about it. My wolf is in complete conflict with itself. He wants to be with his mate but needs to obey his alpha. I'm so pissed off. I hear a knock on my door.

"Bryce are you coming to school?" Trent asks me through the door. I frown, great the one person I don't want to talk to right now.

"No I'm staying home today." I yell back. I hear him walk away from my room. I let out a huff of air as I collapse back onto my pillow. God, I don't want to see him every again. He makes me so angry. Maybe I should go take a walk in the woods and cool myself down.

I muster up enough energy to get out of bed then I walk over to my closet. I throw on a white button down shirt and a pair of kaki shorts. When I'm done I head downstairs and see that all the kids have gone to school already. I grab a pop tart and head outside. When I reach the woods I open my pop tarts and begin to eat it. Looking around I take a deep breath to calm myself.

I take my time eating and when I finish up my breakfast I put the wrapper in my pocket and decide to change into my wolf. I walk behind a huge tree in the middle of the woods and strip out of my clothes and place them neatly behind the tree.

I close my eyes and let the shift take over my body. As soon as all four of my paws touch the ground I feel my wolf sigh in content. I feel the urge to run, so that's exactly what I do. My wolf is so angry he completely takes over my body and just runs free. I lose track of time and when I finally get control of my body again, I'm exhausted.

I slow myself down and make my way over to a nice shaded area. I flop to the ground and rest my head on my paws. Now seems like a great time to take a nap. I close my eyes and immediately fall asleep.

I dont know how much time passed before I hear a piercing scream. My eyes snap open. My wolf growls and forces me up, pulling me toward the scream. Every step I take, the more familiar the voice of the scream sounds. I walk behind a bush and peek trough to see a girl withering in pain, she's already more than halfway trough her first shift, but that's when it hits me. It's Kari. My wolf whimpers out in agony seeing his mate hurting, but from the alpha order I'm not even allowed to go near her. The only thing I can do is watch.

Suddenly she completes her shift and her screaming ceases. She stands up for the first time in wolf form and howls loudly. I take in a breath. She's perfect, her fur is brown and shiny. She has a black spot at the end of her tail but that is the only color change. She looks around then sticks her snout up into the air and smells for a while. Her head snaps in my direction and she slowly approaches the bush I'm hiding behind. Shit, she knows I'm here. I back up a couple of steps. A few seconds later the cutest brown wolf head pops out of the bush. Her bright violet eyes stare directly at me and I freeze. My wolf wants to stay but he knows we have to follow orders. She stares for a moment, then realization shines in her eyes. Kari approaches me and rubs her head on my neck. My wolf purrs in satisfaction, there's nothing he wants more then to mark her as his right now and I cannot agree more with him. I'm about to rub her head back with mine when my wolf stops me. He can't disobey his alpha's orders. He lets out a low growl and Kari steps back.

'You're scaring her stop.' I shout in my head. He lets out a whimper but I know he's just doing what he is supposed to. I turn to her and then she gives me a questioning look. I look away from her and make my way behind the familiar tree that keeps some of our spare clothes in it. I go through the pile and grab one of my shirts, knowing she has no clothes I don't want her to go home naked. I walk up to her drop the shirt then run away back to the pack house.