The Other Emotion

“I don’t want to do this,” I said to Mason as we sat in his car in front of the boys’ house.

“You need to,” he informed me.

“I can’t. I’ve been away for to long. They’re probably fine without me. Just take me back to your house.”

“It has only been two weeks.”

“What if I hurt one of them?”

“You are not going to.”

“You can’t promise me that.”

“You have practiced on other people and you did not hurt them and you did not even know them.”

“But I just know I’m going to hurt one of them.”

“Stop being so negative.”

“It’s true,” I yelled. “I killed Meghan,” I said and I felt tears come to my eyes. “Liam’s just going to ask where she’s been and I don’t even know if I’m going to be able to tell him.”

“You talked with her parents, remember? You convinced them that she ran away and I left a credit trail.”

“I know,” I muttered.

And you talked with her parents about what you’re telling Liam.”

“It’s just, he’s like family. I don’t know if I’ll be able to lie to him.”

“Just try and believe it yourself.”

“Okay.”

“Are you ready to go in?” he asked and I nodded.

“Will you just stay out here for a few minutes in case I need you?”

“Of course I will.”

“Thank you,” I said and I took a deep breath, grabbed all my stuff, and exited the car.

I walked up to the door and unlocked it with my key. When I walked in, all the boys were in the living room and they were staring at me.

“Brittany!” Niall screamed and jumped over the couch and ran towards me and pulled me into a hug. I immediately stiffed and felt my fangs come out at him being so close.

“Where have you been?” Liam asked and pulled me from Niall and hugged me.

All the boys were around me and I felt the over welling urge to feed.

“I-umm-I’ve been-umm,” I stuttered, “I’ve got to go.” The boys stared at me in shock as I dropped my stuff and ran out of the house and into Masons car.

“Drive,” I told him and he shook his head. “Drive,” I said again but he didn’t move. “Please?”

“No. You need to go in there and face your fears.”

“I’m going to feed from one of them, I know it.”

“Do you know who you are going to tell?”

“Harry.”

“Okay, so walk in there, grab Harry’s arm and pull him upstairs. Ignore everyone else and just tell him.”

“What if I hurt him?”

“You shan't.”

“But what if I do?”

“Then we shall figure something out.”

I took a deep breath and I felt my fangs disappear and stepped out of the car and walked around to Masons side.