Chapter 16: Uselessness

Velvet's POV:

It had been two months since. Cocoa disappeared. Team CFVY took a hit when she had vanished. But it wasn't just us, I took it the hardest. Fox and Yatsuhashi had assured me I wasn't the reason...but who am I kidding? I was just that one lousy faunus holding everyone back. I wasn't good at anything. I've been bullied by first years, even though I was an upperclassman. I was useless.

And I still am... Fox and Yatsuhashi were out looking for her through out Vale...and what am I doing? I'm sitting in our dorm crying like a little girl. I had missed her so much. And I wanted to tell her. Aside from her occasional harsh moments, her kindness is what led me to want to be like her. As strong as her.

I looked at the small callibur revolver I had purchased. I had owned it for two years now. Only used to practice my marksmanship. Now...

I took the gun and put it to the side of my head. I choked back a sob, but tears still slipped out of my eyes. I slowly pulled the trigger. Then my scroll went off, a call from Team RWBY's Blake. I put the gun down and picked it up. I wiped my tears away.

"H-hello?" I said hesitantly.

"Velvet? Are you ok?" It was Blake after all. I heard her genuine concern. Since she was the only faunus friend closest to me in Beacon, she was the only one I could trust.

"Y-yeah...I'm f-fine..." I stuttered.

"Well I hope so, because I got grand news for you," I heard a faint excitement in her voice. It's peaked my interest...slightly. "We found Cocoa!!"

My eyes widened. I droped my scroll and cried. It switched itself to speaker.

"Velvet?" she said.

I cried hard. Even other teams had burdened themselves with finding our leader. I'm so useless.

"Hold on Vel, I'm coming over..." she hung up.

When she came over, I was laying on the bed on my side. I had stopped crying, but tears still came out.

"Velvet..." she tossed my gun at the Fox's bunk and sat next to me. I didn't move. I didn't want to move. She held me like a big sister would even though I'm older. "Velvet...we found your leader. You don't have to be sad anymore."

"But... that's why I am... I let you find her..." I started crying again. "She's my team leader... yet you found her... Fox and Yatsuhashi...they're all scouring Vale to find her and I... I'm just that useless faunus that could do absolutely nothing."

I hugged her out and cried out all my pain. I was relieved that Cocoa was found, but I didn't find her. Therefore I didn't deserve the right to tell her.

I don't know what happened next, but when I woke, I found myself being carried by Blake within the old Beacon dorms. We entered a room and I saw her.

Blake set me down. I walked to Cocoa and took her sun glasses off. Her eyes were empty. Black...colorless. I froze. I had thought those empty eyes were meant for me...to show me how useless I was.

I couldn't help her then and I can't help her now.

I knelt on the floor crying. That was all I was good at. I was so useless. I don't deserve to be a huntress. I don't deserve her.

I felt a hand go through my ears in a familiar way and looked up. I saw her. She was herself again.

"Velvet, I told you, you shouldn't be crying..." she smiled. "You should be smiling."

I had completely ignored what she said. I had held her tight and cried anyways. After a couple hours, I fell asleep, smiling in her arms.