Chapter 1: The Forest

Shout out to @cookie207984 for making an amazing cover for me! I just love it!

(Quinn POV)

Breathe in. Breathe out. The cool crisp air of the forest filled my mouth. I could subtly smell the leaves and the dirt, and the blood, and not just any blood but my own. The tang of copper was like a knife against the cool pureness that the forest was supposed to have. Looking down at my poorly bound arm I saw that the blood had seeped through the bandage and was starting to drip down my arm again. I shrugged, nothing I could do about that now. At least my legs were fine. A limp is a lot harder to cover up then scratches are.

Glancing up at the sky I saw that it was darker then it usually is, must be the combination of the overcast, and that I'm in the forest so there is a thick layer of leaves between me and the sky. I shivered and pulled my thin shirt closer to my body in a feeble attempt to get warmer. It was the backend of fall and the front of winter, so the weather was going from cool to cold. Too bad I don't own any jackets; I had more important things to buy. Like food, and bandages.

The wind ruffled my short brown hair and I pushed the ends of it out of my face with my thin, bruised, pale hands and shivered again. It was going to be another long night.

Continuing on my journey I trudged through the thick layer of wet leaves on the ground and made my own path. There was no path to lead to where I was going, and that was one reason why I liked it so much. No one knew about it so no one could disturb me. Or hurt me. Shoving my hands in my torn jeans I let my cold feet in my torn sneakers guide me though the dark forest. Most people would be scared, but not me. The forest was my safe place and I wasn't going to let an owl hooting or the wind howling keep me out. I could walk in practiced silence even when the leaves were dry and crunchy, or if I really felt I was in danger I could easily conceal my 5'5" frame behind trees or bushes.

Technically the forest itself wasn't my safe place, but there was a place in the forest that was, a small cottage that has been overgrown with vines and forgotten about for who knows how many years. It isn't very big, only one room, but it is perfect for me. Just the place so I can get away from him.

I shivered again and hunched my shoulders over picking up my pace slightly. I glided around trees and bushes and steadily made my way through the thick foliage. It was way too cold out tonight; this had to be the coldest night yet. I had goose bumps and I was starting to go numb. With chattering teeth I picked up my pace yet again. As I walked I kept my eyes glued on the ground. I was pretty deep in the forest and I had heard rumors of hunters setting up traps. Bear traps to be more precise. There was a rumor about wolfs, or bears or sightings or of something or others so the town sent out people to set up traps.

If I stepped in a bear trap I was going to be done for. There would be no way I would make it out of this forest. There would be no more Quinn. Not like anyone would really notice or care.

I was about half a mile away from the cabin when I stopped. Something had caught my eye; there was a glint in the leaves about five feet in front of me. Taking a cautious step forward I reached down and grabbed a good sized stick and jabbed it into the pile of leaves in front of me. There was a loud snap and I pulled back quickly. Only half a stick was still left in my hand but the bear trap was no longer going to be a problem for me.

Continuing on I disabled three more traps and soon spotted a forth. Letting out an irritated sigh I grabbed another stick and jammed it into the trap. When it snapped shut there was a loud growl to my right and I jumped back in fear. My eyes darted around but I didn't see anything. My emerald green eyes narrowed in suspicion and I stepped into the nearest bush. Being quitter now I crept towards where the growl had come from and looked out to the clearing.