Chapter 19: The Threat

I woke up the morning after the fiasco of Quinn's first shift with Quinn snuggled into my arms. He was still fast asleep and he probably would be still asleep for a few days. You get really, really, tired after your first shift. Quinn was breathing deeply but didn't move a muscle otherwise as he slept on. Smiling fondly at him I leaned down and kissed his head up before I got up.

After getting dressed I headed down to the living room where I knew everyone was. I made my way down the stairs with a yawn and plopped down on the couch next to Owen and Cooper.

"Is Quinn up?" Cooper asked me from his spot in Owens lap. The two have been getting closer to each other lately and it won't be long now before they are fully mated. I could just tell.

I shook my head no, "I wouldn't expect him to be up for a few days actually. That shift was brutal," I told him as I rubbed to sleep from my eyes, "I'm gonna go for a run real fast. I need it real bad," I said as I stood up.

"Ok, breakfast will be ready in about an hour if you're interested," Chris told me with a warm smile.

I nodded a thanks to him and made my way into the forest through the back yard. I stripped off my clothed and shifted quickly. Once I was shifted I shook out my fur and took off into the woods, loving the feel of the wind in my fur. As I ran I scented the air for anything that might be off.

I picked up the pace after smelling nothing and I was soon zooming around the forest. After about twenty minutes of running I caught scent of something. Someone, or two someone's, were in the forest and they weren't just in the outskirts of the forest but really deep in the forest, and in my territory.

Making my way over to the scent I hid myself in the bushes, as I got close. I peaked out an saw a human looking around with a worried expression. He would take one step then shake his head and look around, so I assumed he was lost. Slowly I crept out of the bushes and made sure he saw me so he didn't think I was sneaking up on him. Sure I didn't want humans in my territory but I wasn't going to kill him. He probably had no idea werewolves even existed.

Eventually the human caught sight of me and let out a small gasp as he took a small step away from me. I kept still as he looked me over and I looked him over. This human reminded me of Quinn, in his stature at least.

"S-sorry," he mumbled frightened, "was I on your territory? I didn't know, I was just out here with my mate and we got separated."

My eyes widened when he mentioned he had a mate. He was definitely human and if he said mate instead of girlfriend then that means he knows that his mate is a werewolf.

To prove my point he spoke up again after a moment, "I know you're a werewolf by the way. I really didn't know I was on your territory though. Again, I'm sorry."

I nodded to him and went behind a tree to shift. After I shifter I pulled on a shirt and some short, then I stepped out. He looked me over, checking if I was dangerous, and I kept my distance form him. If his mate came back I didn't want them to get the wrong idea. I really didn't want to fight today.

"Where do you think your mate went, and how did you get separated?" I asked him while still being a little weary.

"I don't know where my mate is, and for how we got separated, I tend to be a little scatter brained and I accidentally got lost," he admitted with a shy smile.

"I could help you find them if you want," I offered as I started to glance around too. What kind of mate would loose their human mate in the forest? Seriously?

"No thank you. I can look by myself, I appreciate the offer though," I told me while twiddling his thumbs.

I nodded to him, "Ok, but if you cant find him then you should come to my pack house and we can help you," I gave him the directions to the pack house and he smiled gratefully at me.