Chapter 33: Bad News

Quinn's POV

As I laid on the bed the room remained dark, since I couldn't be bothered to get up and turn on the light, and I waited with deep breaths for my eyes to stop tingling and signal that the last week of pregnancy was beginning. Slowly at first, then all of a sudden my eyes stopped tingling and an over whelming sense of anxiety swept over me as my eyes snapped around the room. I knew I was looking for Devon and the cubs and I let out a pathetic whine when I couldn't find them and buried my face into the pillow that smelled of Devon as I tried to remain calm. It helped that I knew what was going on but it is hard to fight instinct.

My breathing started to come in ragged pants as my nails started to grow into claws and my teeth elongated as my skin turned as hard as stone. Knowing that my body took this form so I would be more protected I let the half shift happen as I snuggled further into the blankets that smelled like my family, but what made this worse was that I could smell Devon, but it wasn't fresh. As I tried to get as close to the scent that I could tears started to slip out of my eyes and the whimpers increased in volume.

Footsteps thumped and thundered up the stairs and down the hall until arms wrapped around my waist. I growled defensively and was about to attack the offending arms when Devon's scent filled my nose and my eyes snapped open to see Devon hovering over me, as he looked me over in worry. Sobbing pathetically and buried my face into his chest as I cried harder and wrapped my claw tipped arms around him and pulled him close to me. He had one arm around my waist and the other behind my head as he pulled me close lovingly as he kissed the side of my head.

Opening my eyes a bit I pulled back and kissed him roughly before I looked around for the cubs. Not seeing them I looked back to Devon in confusion, "Where are Ox and Coda? You went after them, so where are they?" I asked as I let my eyes sweep the room again.

I looked to Devon to see him bighting his lip and before I could question him tears started to fall from his eyes as he sobbed lightly, but he pulled himself together in under a minute. "They got them Quinn, but I'm going back out as soon as I can to get them. There was a whole coven with them," he looked away from me, "I-I wasn't strong enough and Owen and Liam had arrived too late to help me. I'm so sorry, but I WILL get them back," he sobbed as he pulled me close again.

Pushing my face into his pulse point I took deep breaths that were soon taken over again by harsh pants as I yearned for my cubs, "Devon," I sobbed quietly, "I need them. You know that if they aren't back soon I could go insane? Dr. Malan said so, I can't do that to you, or the Cubs, or to the pups."

I was so scared and I know that Devon could feel that too. He pulled me into his lap and leaned back against the headboard as he gently rubbed my neck and head in an effort to sooth me.

"Try to get some sleep Quinn," he whispered, "I'll stay up, and I'll go back out first thing in the morning, but you need me here now so no arguing."

I nodded numbly as I leaned my head back and went into a not sleep but not awake daze as Devon continued to rub my back, head, neck, and shoulders from their tense state. We stayed like that until sunrise when Devon shifted and picked me up as we stood. My arms went up and wrapped round his neck as he carried me into the hall and down the stairs. The pack was, no surprise, in the living room but they all remained seated when we came in and Devon sat in the empty love seat as he kissed the side of my head.

"Any leads on the cubs? Anything at all?" Devon asked as he looked at Owen and Liam.

No one would look either Devon or I in the eye so I looked over to Cooper who was looking to the ground as he looked like he was in some kind of daze and Chris and Stephanie looked like they were on the verge of tears themselves.