Chapter 2: The Wolf

(Devon POV)

I huffed in annoyance as I trotted through the forest that I have been calling home for the past month as I saw another track of a human. These humans thought they were so stealthy and sly as they moved around the forest, my domain. I had yet to see a human in the forests but the signs that they had been here were everywhere. As long as they weren't hunters then I was fine though; and not regular hunters, the hunters of the supernatural.

As a werewolf I had to look out for the hunters, as did the vampires, fairies and so on and so forth. The fairies had it good with being able to manipulate their sizes so they could become small and stay unseen easier, while I was a huge wolf half of the time. At least I looked human when I shifted, that was a privilege that not all supernatural beings had. Like the Gollum's, who were giant rock creatures but they had the mind of a human. Though, all of the Gollum's could be killed off for all I care, for I have yet to meet a kind Gollum.

I trudged on as I continued to mark the forest as mine. I did this by rubbing against some of the trees, and for others of them I left large scratches along the trunks with my long claws. It was a slow process but it was one that had to be done. The rest of my pack was going to be showing up today and I had to make sure that the land was safe and claimed so that if any other supernaturals wondered in they would know that this land was already claimed.

Continuing on I got into a good rhythm. Rub, slash, and move on. Rub, slash, and move on. It was weary work and work that was meant not to be done alone, but the more scents of my pack in the area, the better. Others will keep away better if there is more wolves. That is a known fact. There are barely any weres remaining in the world and that is mostly due to the hunters. We are the most powerful of all of the supernaturals, only being rivaled by the vampires, so we are the most targeted.

We also can't reproduce as fast as the vampires. All it takes is a bite, and a blood transfusion and BOOM, another vampire, while weres can only be born from other weres. It only takes one were parent to make a were child, though if a werewolf has a werewolf mate the chances of a werewolf pup are 100%. Weres can not have pups, or children at all, if their partner is a human but not their mate, but if a werewolf has a human mate the two can have children regardless of the gender of the two.

Sighing dreamily at the thought of pups of my own I continued on gloomily now. I have yet to find my mate, and others in my pack have already started finding theirs. Werewolf's and their mates live longer then humans, usually about eight hundred years, and I was only one hundred and twenty so I still had a while to search. The minimum age you can find your mate is fifty, and I have been searching ever since.

Shaking my head of those thoughts I continued my work. I needed to get this done before the pack got here or else we would all be in danger. I just hope the hunters don't know that we are in this forest; we have been doing such a good job at avoiding them.

"We just need a place to settle down as as a pack." My wolf said to me. My wolf was a large grey wolf, about 5'7", and one of his ears was white. His name is Asher, and I am Devon. In my opinion we were a really stunning wolf. "I have a good feeling about this place. There is something different about here then the other places we've been to, but I can't put my finger on it."

"That's because you don't have fingers stupid," I retorted cheekily.

"Shut up Devon, you know what I mean. Just focus on what you're doing, we are pretty deep into the woods and we haven't ever been here before," he advised me.

"I'm an Alpha male werewolf and a hundred and twenty years old." I told him exasperated. "What could possibly hurt me?"

"HUNTERS!" Asher yelled in my head.