Chapter 30: Trust Is Earned

Quinn's POV

As we left the Doctors office I made sure to keep Ox and Coda close to me as we walked back to the forest. I was holding hands with Devon and we let then run ahead of us with their blown up hands that Devon gave them back and we watched in amusement as they smacked each other. If they were this entertained with those gloves then I would have to go get them a box of gloves later, because God knows how boring the house can get sometimes. They ran and laughed as their feet smacked on the pavement as the sun was high in the sky and not a cloud was in the sky, but there was a wind chill that kept me close to Devon as I searched for warmth.

As they ran I kept a close eye on them, but I don't know why. No one was around and I couldn't even hear anyone, but something was off. As we approached the forest the feeling kept getting stronger and stronger as my eyes snapped around fro any danger. Devon glanced over to me in worry.

"Is something wrong Quinn?" he asked as he started to look around too.

Keeping my eyes up I answered him lowly, "Something is off. I don't know what, but something feels off."

"Boys, come back over here please," he called out in an even voice as to not scare the cubs. They didn't hear him as they continued to run. "BOYS!" he shouted in a rough tone as he kept scanning the area. They jumped at the short word and scurried over to us. We were now right at the edge of the forest and were looking around with a hint of fear; I could tell that he could feel that something was wrong too.

"Get into the forest," he commanded lowly.

Grabbing the boy's hands I pulled them into the safety of the trees. Once we were surrounded by the trees and couldn't even see the town anymore I started to loosen up a little, just a bit though. Devon was still on edge though as the kept scanning the area.

"D-Devon, I think it's ok now," I stuttered as I watched him look around more.

He looked for a moment more before he let up, "I think you're right," he muttered.

Not bothering to shift into our wolves we started to make our way back to the pack house. Devon walked in front of me as he held Ox's hand and I had Coda. MY mind just started to wander as I thought about the twins, both the ones in my belly and the ones here right now. Were they going to like each other? Would the cubs be good big brothers? I know they will but there is always the possibility that they wont get along with their siblings.

Devon's grunt broke me from my thoughts and I looked up to see him flying through the air as I man stood where he was walking just a second ago and the man had a stunned Coda in his arms. The man saluted me with a cocky smile and he jumped skyward. I was immediately filled with rage and I acted on instinct as my hand shot out and grabbed the man's ankle in a crushing hold. Yanking him back to the earth I ripped Coda away from him and threw the man mercilessly into a tree with a crack. As I was dealing with that man another grabbed Ox and tried to run, but I was immediately on his tail and with Coda still in my arms I grabbed the back of the mans shirt and slammed his back into the dirt but not before I snatched up Ox and held him close to me. The man made another grab at the cubs so with a loud growl I sent a kick at him that connected to his side and sent him soaring into another tree.

Backing away from the two with the bawling cubs in my arms I looked over to Devon to see him bloody and surrounded by a group of six men. Devon let out a ferocious growl and knocking a few over he ran over to us and stood in front of us protectively with his claws bares and his gums pulled back to show his sharp wolf teeth. I'm surprised I don't look like that myself.

"What do you want you stupid Coven?" Devon spat out as the growled lowly at the group.

One man stepped forward with a cocky smile as he bared his sharp fangs. Vampires. He had bright blond hair with red eyes and manicured nails. His skin was a smooth pearl color and we wore a blue shirt with jeans.